Skate Park

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Skate Park

Postby Jock Strap » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:31 pm

I was just reading the Courier Letters and that the school had raised money for the Skate Park.

Can anyone shed any light on what is happening with this and where it is going? Or is that the Skatepark doon the green? :lol:
Jock Strap
Active Poster
Active Poster

Update

Postby Admin3 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:30 pm

Mr Strap,

I received an e-mail from Ricky Evans at the Youth Enquiry Service regarding the above and also had a brief chat with him the other day in Tescos!

Anyway, fund raising is going well and they hope to have news soon about additional funding. If I recall correctly the Skate Board Park is going to coast 120,000 pounds. :D Which will ensure it is a damm good one. The site will beside the new changing rooms on the Meadows. Excellent!

Ricky did say

"I can however tell you that it is expected that the park will be built
before the end of the next school term! The only draw back may be the councils reluctance to take on the Insurance and Maintenance of the park......"
Admin
Admin3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Stone Cold aka Doags Bs » Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:55 pm

I spoke to Ricky last night and he informed me that the KYES have now received the £120,000 required from different charities and grants. The only problem now is the councils reluctancy to get insurance, but all in all a great effort was put forward by all the youth's involved in the project (myself included a while back :D)
Stone Cold aka Doags Bs
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Skate Park

Postby Admin3 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:48 pm

Yes - major pat on the back to all involved.

Between the Skate Park and the Changing Rooms the town will have two cracking facilities on the Meadows.

Now all we need is an all weather facility there too! :lol:
Admin
Admin3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Petition

Postby Kintyre Lad » Thu May 12, 2005 1:41 pm

See there is a petition for this going round - the Council won't fund the insurance for the Skate Park.... :shock: :cry: :?
Kintyre Lad
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Nancie » Sun May 15, 2005 10:39 am

Councillor Alastair McKinlay approached me last week to see if the community council can help with the insurance. We were involved at the start and helped Ricky and his group with the planning application. Apparently it can be taken into the council's insurance policy if the community council makes the application for insurance. It hasn't been discussed yet at a meeting but I told the councillor I was sure there would be no problem.

Nancie
Nancie
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Skatepark update!!

Postby rick_ford55 » Tue May 17, 2005 1:34 pm

Indeed it is true!! The Founders received word from Argyll and The Islands Enterprise that they are willing to put the remaining funds needed to build a wheeled sports facility at Bengullion Rd. The facilities total cost is around the £120,000 mark and includes all groundworks, ramps and lighting. Insurance and maintenance is a big problem as our funders have asked that ALL of these issues be passed to the local council. I realise that the community council could take over the insurance issues but this would also mean they would be liable for any maintenance and litter picking issues or so i am led to believe. If we could maybe have a chat about this sometime Nancy? We have set a provisional opening day for the 2nd of July if all goes to plan.
"It's all Good!"
rick_ford55
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Nancie » Tue May 17, 2005 2:31 pm

Good for you Ricky. All your hard work has paid off.

As you say we could take on the insurance and I don't think the litter would be a problem. The maintenance is a different story but hopefully something could be worked out. Let me know if you want to meet and we can arrange something.

Nancie
Nancie
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Skate Park

Postby Sport » Tue May 17, 2005 3:11 pm

Again, superb work done by the local community and in particular KYES.

Would there be any sense in involving the groups who are responsible for the new changing rooms too? Perhaps the likes of the litter issue could be resolved by having someone do this for both sites. May also me a possibility of other ideas???
Please visit the Sports Council's new website and check out our latest news! http://www.southkintyresportscouncil.com
Sport
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Admin3 » Tue May 17, 2005 5:51 pm

I meant to post this ages ago, here is a photo of the plans for the new Skate Park.

Looks pretty impressive.

Wish a wiz young again! :-)
Admin
Admin3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ship called Dignity » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:03 pm

Whats the latest on this?
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:40 am

Great to read in the Courier this week that Argyll & Bute Council have agreed to fund the insurance for this project and twork will start on the Skate Park shortly.

Anyone anything else they can add on this?

David
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby petewick » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:44 pm

Excellent, well done all those involved.
Petewick :lol:
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:54 pm

Just to let you know Ricky mentioned to me today that work has started on this today and will be completed by next week.

I wonder if Wallies has ordered skateboards? :wink:
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Stone Cold aka Doags Bs » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:16 am

Ramps are there but not set up yet. Looks really good though.
Stone Cold aka Doags Bs
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Next

Return to Local News and Issues