Cambeltown to Ayrshire Ferry can become a reality

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:38 pm

Businesses interested in a ferry service between Campbeltown and Ayrshire should make their views known now, says Cllr John Semple

The Scottish Government’s Ferry Review suggests a ferry service between Campbeltown and Ayrshire and SNP councillor for South Kintyre, John Semple is calling for businesses who may benefit from such a service to work with him and make the case to transport minister Keith Brown.

Cllr Semple said: ‘I firmly believe there is a strong commercial case to be made for a service between Campbeltown and Ayrshire. Current proposals in the government’s consultation are not ideal but I believe the minister is prepared to listen to a reasoned argument and I am calling on Argyll business interests who might benefit from such a service to contact me’

‘We have a opportunity for increasing trade and reducing costs from the development of this service which in turn could change the fortunes of South Argyll, we must be better connected. We must be prepared to work together to bring about that change. I am looking forward to working with business interests to make a Campbeltown to Ayrshire ferry service a reality.’
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Cambeltown to Ayrshire Ferry can become a reality

Postby John S » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:53 am

Mike MacKenzie MSP for Highlands and Islands has agreed to meet and discuss with us the issues and opportunities that would come from a Campbeltown to Ayrshire ferry service as proposed in the Scottish Governments Ferries Review in order that he may feed these back to the Minister for Transport, Keith Brown.

I have secured a meeting room at the Seafield Hotel, Kilkerran Road, Campbeltown, Monday the 20th of February at 5.30pm. a good turnout from Kintyre Businesses would be beneficial in order to state the case.

I welcome the submission to the consultation made by Wind Towers Ltd. -

“To this end we have taken part in the survey and added the following comments:

Any ferry service between Campbeltown and Troon would be most welcome. However, Wind Towers Limited believe that a town of the size and importance of Campbeltown and the outlying communities deserve a 5-7 day service at least. Any vessel should be capable of taking some of the commercial traffic off the A83. If such a services were available the economic benefits for the areas would be significant and business & job opportunities in the area would be improved greatly.”

You can also hear me discuss the ferry proposal with Euan MacIlwraith on BBC Radio Scotland’s “Out of Doors” I think its this weekend.

Details of the consultation regarding this proposal can be found following Scottish Government link on sections 135 – 140.

http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/str ... #ch4para34

Specifically the proposal is - a service operating between Kintyre, via Arran to Ardrossan (or Troon). The service would operate one or two days per week and allow for a meaningful day return trip to the Scottish mainland.
The community is asked for their views on the following proposals:

• To retain the Kintyre to Portavadie service as is;
• Whether a vehicle service as described between Campbeltown and the Scottish mainland (for example Troon) would be well used.

My own view is that 2 days will not be sufficient to maximise commercial benefit but it’s a starting point, however going via Arran may not satisfy commercial interests in a faster crossing to the mainland.
From previous campaigns with the Dalriada Business Action Group I know that getting a good response from commercial interests is essential to persuading government to take notice. You can help by filling in the short survey, it will only take 5 minutes. The closing date is the 30th March.
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/QZ25CFT
See more details of this discussion on my Facebook Case Book
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=168869009687
John S
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby WC1 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:05 pm

John, I do think the development of a ferry link to Ayrshire would be beneficial for the growth of tourism and tourism-related employment in this area. However, I'm not convinced that once you move beyond tourism there would be any real benefit for local people or businesses in having such a link. Benefits for individuals and businesses alike will be measured in terms of cost or time. It will still be both cheaper and quicker to get to Glasgow and elsewhere in the central belt by going 'round the road'. Retaining the Tarbert-Portavadie service is crucial, though, and I hope there will be no thought of discontinuing it.
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby John S » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:28 pm

Tarbert / Portavadie is a well used route which has proven its value WC, it can only add traffic to any Campbeltown route and vice versa. One of the interesting discoveries that was made during research of the Campbeltown / Ayrshire / Ireland route a few years ago was the potential for commercial traffic. Ferry Companies interested in the route saw tourism as an ad-on rather than the breadwinner given the seasonality of tourism. Commercial traffic in Argyll is not necessarily bound for the central belt of Scotland, indeed a more direct link south may well offer new opportunities, that's what I hope to discover on the 20th.
See more details of this discussion on my Facebook Case Book
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=168869009687
John S
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby russanros » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:09 am

I was reading that 'Road Equivalent Pricing' was trialled on Western Isle routes and was to be extended to other routes over the next year or two. I'm sure the 'ferry shortcuts' of both Portavadie and this proposed route would appear much more attractive if the cost was more similar to the road journey.

Apart from the lack of good roadlinks from Ayrshire to M74 (which might be an issue for commercial traffic) - the A76 from Kilmarnock down to the borders is quite a slow route, the new route would be very attractive for journeys to SW Scotland, Borders & England. The fuel saving might be quite worthwhile compared to the Portavadie/Dunoon etc route to the M8?

Hope it comes off -and in a format which is attractive to users and therefore sustainable. Just done the survey.
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Return to Local News and Issues