Local politicians concern at change inpatient airport policy

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Local politicians concern at change inpatient airport policy

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:43 pm

Local politicians express concern at change in patient airport policy.

Jamie McGrigor, Highlands & Islands Conservative MSP, and Councillor Donald Kelly (South Kintyre) have joined forced to express concern about a change in NHS policy which means patients from Campbeltown and Kintyre being treated at hospital in Glasgow will not routinely be provided with transportation to Glasgow Airport to allow them to fly home to Campbeltown, as has been the case until recently. The policy change which began around 2 weeks ago means most patients will have to return to Campbeltown via road ambulance unless a family member is present in Glasgow who can facilitate the journey to Glasgow Airport.

Speaking today Cllr Donald Kelly, who flagged the matter up with Jamie McGrigor MSP, said: “This new policy has meant people staying in hospital waiting for the next ambulance to take them home sometimes for 2 or 3 days more than is necessary. I have been contacted by constituents who have had first-hand experience of this ridiculous change in policy.

“ I am also very concerned that this new system will affect the vitality of the life line Campbeltown air service due to falling numbers using the plane.”

Jamie McGrigor MSP said: “ I will be taking this matter up with both the Chief Executive of NHS Highland and the Cabinet Secretary for Health Alex Neil. The previous system whereby patients needing to return home to Campbeltown were provided with transport to Glasgow Airport for the onward flight to Campbeltown worked well and was efficient and prevented patients who were ready to go home waiting in hospital unnecessarily.”
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Local News and Issues