Whisky from Small Glasses

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Whisky from Small Glasses

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:33 am

Really been meaning to do a write up and review on this book by former Campbeltown man Denzil Meyerick - in fact have been meaning to do it for weeks but could never think of all that I wanted to cover. So I'm just going to cut to the chase and let others have a discussion about it!

The story is set in Kinloch on the west coast of Scotland and sees how city sleuth DCI Daley travels to a fictional rural town (Kinloch) to investigate a series of grizzly murders. It's a facinating read and for locals there is lots of local connections that you know when you read the book.

The book has sold out on Amazon 7 times in 2 months and is attracting serious media attention from film and drama producers. You can read Denzil's bloy at

http://whiskyfromsmallglasses.blogspot.co.uk/

And also purchase the book at http://www.amazon.co.uk/Whisky-From-Sma ... 1901514080

or for the kindle at http://www.amazon.co.uk/Whisky-from-Sma ... in_title_0

So have you read it?

Denzil recently wrote of Campbeltown in his blog

Whisky From Small Glasses- The Inspiration!

Just thought you all might want to find out a little more about the inspiration behind the fictitious 'Kinloch' in Whisky From Small Glasses.

Campbeltown lies at the end of the Kintyre peninsula, the long strip of land that points the way to Ireland- indeed, the Mull of Kintyre, is the closest point on the British mainland to Northern Ireland. You can sit in the carpark at Southend on a good day and watch cars progressing along the shore roads of County Antrim.

This proximity has had a big influence on Campbeltown and its people. It is a town like no other in Argyll; if you listen to someone from Ballycastle or Port Rush, you will hear more than a little of the 'wee toon' twang, something I have tried to replicate in the residents of Kinloch.

I must admit to being frustrated by the way, Campbeltown- indeed, Kintyre at large, gets overlooked when the tourist guides are published, or TV embarks on its latest travel odyssey; you will see endless features on Oban, Stirling, the villages of Fife, the lochs and glens of The Highlands, or the various island archipelagos off the Scottish coast - of Campbeltown?- well, you see or hear shamefully little.

If you are looking for a holiday destination where the scenery is as beautiful as it is diverse, the warmth of the people is infectious, the beaches are stunning and plentiful - a centre for traditional music, steeped in history and folklore - well, what can I say? Visit Campbeltown and Kintyre!!

If you've read Whisky From Small Glasses, you'll get the idea. Many who have, have contacted me to ask more about the setting, and are planning visits to the 'wee toon'.

Go on, treat yourself, read Whisky From Small Glasses - then visit Campbeltown - you'll love them both!!!
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Whisky from Small Glasses

Postby Pans Lass » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:39 pm

I have not read Denzil's book yet but after reading the reviews on Amazon it's definitely worth a read plus it's good to support A local man in his success and hopefully it will influence many people to visit the 'wee toon' .

Well done Denzil and good luck for the future ...a former classmate :)
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:57 pm

This isn`t the first I`ve heard of this book, Ags was praising it in the book section a while aho. I have now got it on order from Amazon.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:42 pm

Me too Numberplease! I was wondering if we could do it on the reading threads as a book club discussion book? Are there enough folk up for that?
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:56 pm

GG, I`m not sure that I`m any good actually discussing a book in that way, but am willing to give it a go.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:02 pm

You read enough books to have loads of opinions Numberplease and I think you and I would be useful in putting in our pennyworth of folk who don't live in the wee toon.
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kevin Mc » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:18 pm

I've just ordered it too :D
Kevin Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby numberplease » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:57 pm

Mine arrived today! Will finish the one I started last night, In the Woods, by Tana French, then I`ll get stuck in.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby lochend » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:21 pm

Just started it.It is very promising.Surely this can't be his first book? I havn't been back to the Toon since1980 and I can recognise certain places he is suggesting in the story.
lochend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby numberplease » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:09 am

Starting mine tomorrow, has yours arrived yet, GG?
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby WC1 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:45 pm

Started a couple of days ago on Kindle.
Last edited by WC1 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby numberplease » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:47 pm

Well, I`M enjoying it so far!
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby lochend » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:28 pm

Well into the book and must admit to really enjoying it.Have not visited the Wee Toon since 1980, unfortunately, but have really enjoyed the local references.I was disappointed to read WC1's rather sniffy and pedantic criticisms.I think that for a first novel,if in fact it is his first, it is a least the equal of anything Ian Rankin has done,..... now where is that book?
:D
lochend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby WC1 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:56 pm

It's enjoyable, Lochend, .
Last edited by WC1 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby lochend » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:11 pm

WQC1,I admit I may be slightly overcome by the emotional attachment to the area but I have not been put off (or even noticed) the odd etymological slip. Perhaps I was too eager to read the book, or perhaps I do not have your cool,detatched,forensi and ,academic approach to be objective! As for comparisons with Rankin,that can surely just be a matter of opinio? .I think the boy has done an excellent job of creating a peace of fiction based in an area we all have a lot of affection for!
lochend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Next

Return to Local News and Issues