Kinloch Road works

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Re: Kinloch Road works

Postby katya » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:26 pm

I'm very pleased to see the dramatically improved road surface on Kinloch Road, considering the state it was in it is now great to drive along. However, I feel that road markings on the approach to the roundabout, even temporary ones, should have been a priority as soon as the new surface was put down. There isn't even a 'keep left' sign at the moment! People familiar with the road layout know what to do, but with the tourist season already started I think it's just a matter of time before there is an accident. It was never well signaled that it was a roundabout in the first place (I have seen many people leave the old quay and head straight onto Kinloch Road), but now it's just completely blank :@
katya
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Elvanim » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:10 pm

I agree with Katya, there is a need for road markings at the Cross and road signs on the approach. Visitors have no idea that they are approaching a roundabout.

It might also be helpful to mark out parking places opposite the Victoria Hall. If these were marked perpendicular to the pavement, rather than parallel, it would increase parking availability close to the Main Street. The road is wide enough!

It's great to drive on a smooth surface now, at least for a few hundred yards!!!
Elvanim
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby katya » Thu May 02, 2013 11:26 am

The road markings are now down, but still nothing to indicate on the approach that it's actually a roundabout.
Liking your idea about the parking though Elvanim, that's what the spectators currently do at the AWP when there's a match on anyway so there's obviously plenty of space.
katya
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Mr.Everready » Thu May 02, 2013 12:06 pm

It'd be nice to see double yellow lines right outside the Black Sheep too.
Mr.Everready
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby WC1 » Thu May 02, 2013 4:05 pm

There are now double yellow lines from the end of the new link road all the way to the bus stances, except for two rather lonely disabled spaces. With the other disabled spaces being marked out (at least another four I think) on the other side, what we have is a quite major reduction in parking spaces for residents of the Kinloch Road flats, visitors to said residents, and users of the AWP and Aqualibrium. There are already problems with parking around the AWP when there's a game on, making the junction between the old and new sections of Kinloch Road quite hazardous. I don't know what's proposed for the triangle of ground behind the Guide Hall - they're building a miniature replica of the Himalayas by the look of it - but could it not be made into a car park for AWP/Aqualibrium and solve some of these issues?

Incidentally, is there not meant to be some kind of public notice issued about proposed restrictions and time for objections given before any stretch of road gets double yellow lines? Don't recall anything of the sort in this case (or, mind, you, for the Millknowe either).
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby katya » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:48 pm

I know this thread is rather old now, but I just wanted to highlight the lack of reasonable signage that a roundabout exists in town. Today at lunchtime I was taking my 2 young children to nursery, when a car came out of Hall St towards me then went up Kinloch Road! To be fair though, on Hall St there is only a small roundabout sign (black circle within a red triangle) as you approach the junction, so someone unused to the town may easily miss it when looking to see where they are going.
Does anyone else feel that there should be more signage/lining to indicate that it is actually a roundabout?
katya
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Previous

Return to Local News and Issues