Kelly criticises bed reduction proposals for local hospital

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Kelly criticises bed reduction proposals for local hospital

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:20 pm

McGrigor and Kelly criticise bed reduction proposals for Campbeltown Hospital.

Jamie McGrigor, Highlands & Islands MSP, and Councillor Donald Kelly (South Kintyre) have criticised NHS Highland’s plans to reduce significantly the number of inpatient beds at Campbeltown Hospital. NHS Highland has said the current 32 beds in its Inpatients Services ward at the hospital will be cut to 21.

Speaking today Councillor Kelly said:

“ My constituents are very concerned about NHS Highland’s plans and I share their anxieties and worries. Many local residents believe that 21 inpatient beds are simply not enough to serve a population of around 7000 people. They are also concerned, as am I, that this announcement has been made without any proper consultation.

“ Jamie McGrigor and I were involved in a campaign in 2004 to preserve a ward and were assured then that there would not be further service reductions at the hospital and I am alarmed that previous assurances appear to have been broken.”

Jamie McGrigor MSP said:

“ The proposed cut in inpatient bed numbers at Campbeltown Hospital appears a drastic one and has caused real concern locally.

“ I will be asking questions of NHS Highland and urging them to assure local residents as a matter of priority. I will also be raising the matter with Alex Neil, the Cabinet Secretary for Health.”
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Local News and Issues