The Scotsman: Millionaire closes Sanda Island to the public

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Re: The Scotsman: Millionaire closes Sanda Island to the public

Postby jdcarra » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:48 am

The main point here is we do not want to start agreeing with the owners wishes or we may have everyone whom owns a island going down the same lines :roll:

I have been to Sanda Island many times and would like to continue doing so,we'll stick to our free to roam :wink:
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby muppetanimal » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:11 pm

Swanseajock wrote: It is not a great situation, but if the owners of this private island want to keep it private as they can, who are we to tell them otherwise :?:

Okay, so no more complaints about empty shops, pubs, flats etc in the Kintyre area because it follows from Swanseajock's logic that owners of any property can do with them as they wish. So if , for example, "Sir Paul" wishes to extend his estate further and then not farm the adjoining land that too would be okay. The loss in direct employment would be acceptable, plus the knock-on effect on suppliers/repairers of equipment, feedstuffs, fuels, building maintenance and veterinary care provision. In economics this is known as the multiplier effect, the fact that one economic activity stimulates and supports ancillary services and product provision.

Sounds like a recipe for the oncoming clearances in Kintyre.

Alternatively, what is needed in Kintyre are no more absentee landowners and holiday homeowners (eg as in Carradale) who do little to stimulate and support the local economy, what is needed is for people to invest not just their surplus funds (£2.5 million for a "retreat") but their time, expertise and vision to stimulate employment opportunities as a consequence of growing the local economy.
muppetanimal
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby maxmix » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:06 pm

muppetanimal wrote:what is needed is for people to invest not just their surplus funds (£2.5 million for a "retreat") but their time, expertise and vision to stimulate employment opportunities as a consequence of growing the local economy.

Any suggestions (Who Like) ? Who would want to invest money in an area that is on it's way out !

People are not as keen as they used to be (Tourists included) in wasting time and money coming to an area where there is not a lot for them to do, have you not noticed the downwards spiral here over the years....

This will never get any better, worst i've ever seen the place, town centre included in my 20 years here !

Oh ! and never been to Sanda either :@

maxmix
maxmix
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:31 pm

I've lived here for more than 51 years. I love Kintyre/Campbeltown/Southend.

There is as much to do, and enjoy, here as any other similar area in Scotland.....golf galore, surfing, sailing, sea fishing, river angling, canoeing, cycling, running, hill walking, beach walking, town walking, lively pub scene, music scene, scenic roads to drive and enjoy wonderful views all around, top quality hotels and nice cheap bunkhouses to stay in..friendly, welcoming people.
I've never been bored in my life living here.

I REALLY dont like hearing and reading people talk it all down.
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:33 pm

oh, and just to keep it "on thread" I've been to Sanda many times and I am sure I will be back again.
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby muppetanimal » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:24 pm

maxmix wrote:
Any suggestions (Who Like) ? Who would want to invest money in an area that is on it's way out !

maxmix

Duh :? The property developer who buys 317 acres and then doesn't develop it :roll:
muppetanimal
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Ship called Dignity » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:58 pm

maxmix wrote:Any suggestions (Who Like) ? Who would want to invest money in an area that is on it's way out !

4th gen Suthen' wrote:I've lived here for more than 51 years. I love Kintyre/Campbeltown/Southend.

There is as much to do, and enjoy, here as any other similar area in Scotland.....golf galore, surfing, sailing, sea fishing, river angling, canoeing, cycling, running, hill walking, beach walking, town walking, lively pub scene, music scene, scenic roads to drive and enjoy wonderful views all around, top quality hotels and nice cheap bunkhouses to stay in..friendly, welcoming people.
I've never been bored in my life living here.

I REALLY dont like hearing and reading people talk it all down.

I'm with 4th Gen on this one. Maxmix, all you ever do is moan about the negatives. There are plenty of positives. Yes, our Main Street is probably the least occupied it has been in years - I agree it doesn't look great. The reality is however, this isn't different from anywhere else in Scotland. The reality is there are a lot more occupied shops in Longrow than there has been in the last 10 years. Very few unoccupied in fact. To come on here and suggest the area is on the way out is ludicrous given the investments. It hardly helps the negatives for sure!
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby petewick » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:48 am

Aye totally agree there with 4 Gen, am local as most of you know, I live in
Oban due to work commitments but last week and tonight and tomorrow am
staying at the excellent bunkhouse, been to the cinema, prior to that I was
at a presentation about local folklore at the library, a totally stimulating and
fulfilling evening. The bunkhouse is very near my two favourite pubs, the Burnside
and the Commercial Inn, I did'nt make it there tonight, but I might manage a wee
visit tomorrow. It's not until you leave a place that you really appreciate how great that place
is........
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby pepperpot69 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:51 am

If they own the island then its up to them but it wont stop people still visiting, in fact they will prob get more now. If water was a problem the council have grants for a bore hole, but not sure about on an island?

Maximx instead of moaning all the time why don't you get out there and get involved in trying to help change things. There are plenty off voluntary groups in Campbeltown where the youngsters, who just so happen to be the future of the town, could always do with a helping hand. These are the next shopkeepers, business owners, builders and entrepreneurs, if you keep running the area down then of course it won't improve.

My mum always said, "if you haven't got anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all!"

New All Weather Pitch
5* Royal Hotel
Kintyre Express
Davaar
Mach Dunes
Kintyre Seatours
Lovely shops, yes a few more would be nice
Great swimming pool
Fabulous scenery
Lots of history
New improved harbour for cruise ships
MoK Run
MOK music Festival
MoK Cheddar
Award winning pipe band
Friendly welcome

And that's just Campbeltown! So what exactly were you moaning about?
pepperpot69
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby odds » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:41 pm

Mary G wrote:By MOIRA KERR
Published on Saturday 2 March 2013 00:00

A SCOTTISH island once popular with tourists and passing sailors has been effectively closed to the public by its millionaire owner.

Sanda Island, which used to boast an award-winning pub and several self-catering cottages, was a welcome haven for those making the rough crossing between Kintyre and Ireland.

But Michi Meier, the Swiss millionaire who bought Sanda three years ago for £2.5 million, has announced that the 314-acre island is a private holiday home and “closed to the public”.

Read the full story in the paper, or here:
http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/herit ... -1-2818179

Just in case anyone is interested, Ailsa Craig is up for sale for £1.5 million. Strangely though according to the two reports the owners seem to be different, the above report suggests that it is owned by a Swiss guy but the BBC report says that it is owned by the Scottish peer Archibald Angus Charles Kennedy, the 8th Marquess of Ailsa.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-21878099

Pete.
odds
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby howlsatthemoon » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:12 pm

Ailsa Craig & Sanda Island are two different islands.
A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself
howlsatthemoon
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby odds » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:21 am

howlsatthemoon wrote:Ailsa Craig & Sanda Island are two different islands.

Ooops, how the hell did I get that mixed up :oops:

Pete.
odds
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: The Scotsman: Millionaire closes Sanda Island to the pub

Postby Namora » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:26 pm

It might interest people to know that Mr Meier and his Berna are continuing in the same vein at their new home at Auchendennan. They bought the former Loch Lomond youth hostel for something less than £1.5, and have sought to make it as exclusive as possible, albeit it is just a stone's throw from the Vale of Leven. This has included fencing and gating the building off, so that no one can call. I have also heard that they unpleasant towards the existing residents at Auchendennan, and have threatened them will all sorts of things, such as having to take pre-existing buildings down, or stopping them from having access to their own homes along the road etc. The residents feel that Mr Meier is being unpleasant so as to try to get them to leave their homes, which would allow him to close the estate off completely. Apparently Michi and Berna have also turned away workers for being ten minutes late - but they are already a laughing stock in the Vale of Leven because of their poor treatment of people.
It is a great pity when foreigners take up residence but then impair the local atmosphere.
Namora
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Previous

Return to Local News and Issues