Kintyre Way Meeting

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Re: Kintyre Way

Postby petewick » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:49 pm

Johnnie Walker wrote:I really am very sorry to hear about your redundancy. It is something that I have faced myself in the past and it is not pleasant. Please forgive me, however, if I ask a question that I think might be considered relevant in this context. Would the Kintyre Way have made a difference to that?

Dear Johnnie,

Thanks for your comments and I think that we are both singing from the same hymn book, but probably are on different pages.
I'm not trying to say "poor me", I've lost my job, blah de blah de blah, its just that all there has been in Campbeltown/ Kintyre over the last 15 years or so there has been a drain of employment and population.
Highly trained and trainable people I know who have left the area due no jobs, these are the kind of people you want to keep in the area, utilising their skills and experience on any given task.
The Kintyre Way proposal would not have made one jot of a difference in saving my job, so tourism must be encouraged, the days of large scale industrial activity in this area are just about gone never to return.
Consider the difference it would make, in the relevant context it would make, if no tourists came to Kintyre.
A lot of B and Bs would certainly hear the wolf howling at the door.

Regards, Petewick[/quote]
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Yeah!

Postby John S » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:48 pm

Annie wrote:
I would be 100% behind it if the darn thing would bring more jobs - yeah! But one - that is not enough!

Its a lot more than one job Annie, if 5000 walkers spend an average of 4 days in the area, what will they spend

Meals £20 - £60 per day
Accommodation 35 - 50 per day
Souvenirs £5 - 10per day

Total between £1.2M & £2.4M the average about £1.8M per year, which is probably quite conservative. That’s £1.8M that local traders will require to service, which in turn will cost them in jobs so even if a quarter of this money ends up employing people to service the needs of walkers that’s £450K that’s the equivalent to 20 - 30 full time jobs.
John S
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Jobs!

Postby Annie » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:03 pm

John you are brilliant, and of course, correct!

I had never thought about the breakdown of the numbers that way; however, tourism is seasonal as well, so there would be fluctuations to consider in your calculations. I believe, that as long as the tourists have a good time, the shops stay open on Wednesday afternoons and maybe a little longer after the usual office hours they used to keep, things would start looking on the bright side. But the Toonies have got to jump in and deal, not just sit around and bitch that there is no jobs and there is nothing to do because the economy is so bad. It seems now that this opportunity has presented itself, we should all try and make the most of it while we can. Things can only get better, and some things are learned and improved through trial and error.

I say go for it!!!!!!!!!!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby John S » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:13 pm

Annie, good to see open minds - in my experience people who have grown up here accept change as part of the picture yet people who come here because they like the idea of the picture don't want to see things change.

lets hope change can bring rewards to everyone!
John S
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

The Picture!

Postby Annie » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:09 pm

I must admit, the picture is pretty much perfect, especially if you are on vacation. But this picture is no still life! However, for two weeks or so out of the year, it could probably stay the same for most out of towners! If that is what they want; however, a two week vacationer/visitor's idea of what should or not should be changed is biased by their view - a kind of looking through rose coloured glasses, if you know what I mean!

You can't keep everyone happy all of the time!

GEESH!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby SAR TEAM LEADER » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:30 pm

paraffin man wrote:
The first aid point is valid, some areas are pretty treachorous, these are also probably the most scenic, hence probably why they ahve been included, has there been any consultation with the emergency services, police & HM Coastguard being the leads on this. I would imagine that there is also potential for helicopter medi-vacs from this type of activity, can this be done in some of the areas, & what will be response times to these areas?

Jury's out!

Parrafin Man you are correct about the Police and Coastguard being the first response to any missing or lost casualties, Campbeltown C.G. being the only local rope rescue team.
Campbeltown C.G. are currently stepping up cliff rescue training, as well as familiarising themselves with the route.
As far as medi-vacs are concerned, Rescue 177(R.N. sea king helicopter) operates 24/7 on a 15 minute standby(day) and 45 minutes standby(night). their only constraint is poor visibility! No problem there then! :o
Response times ? How longs a piece of string ? There is a review of C.G. rescue equiptment in May, hopefuly this will lead to lighter, more portable gear thus reducing response times. Don't forget there is also C.G. teams in Southend, Carradale and Tarbert. Generaly speaking, Campbeltown C.G. would hope to be on scene at Craigaig, for example, within an hour, albeit they are short staffed at the moment. :cry:
SAR TEAM LEADER
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Short Staffed

Postby Annie » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:39 pm

SAR

Sounds like this would be a good time for you to start screaming for more funding!!!!!!!

This is precisely the reason why the area needs people like you, especially for those types of hikers/walkers who don't know the area, don't check the weather and go out alone and without any means of communication without telling anybody where the hell they are going and when they will be back. It is for them eejits, that we need you and your team. Of course, from time to time, there are the exceptions to that rule, I know, but for the most part, rescue ops are launched for people who do not know their limitations or are not prepared for sudden weather changes and/or emergencies.

So scream your guts out, or better yet, write yourself a new budget proposal - projecting how many new members you need, etc. and submit it to the powers that be, and then see how it goes. I am probably ranting on and not telling you anything you haven't heard a million times over, but it is just a thought!

As is said often "Strike while the .....," well you've heard it before!!!

Good luck!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Short Staffed

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:50 am

Annie wrote:This is precisely the reason why the area needs people like you, especially for those types of hikers/walkers who don't know the area, don't check the weather and go out alone and without any means of communication without telling anybody where the hell they are going and when they will be back.

Someone should start a rent-a-cell-phone business to the foreign walkers. Have them prepay for minutes and rental of the phone, and lay down a hefty deposit which they can get back when they return the phone. What is the reception like in the remote areas? I'm half kidding and half serious about this. If its a dumb idea, then I'm kidding :lol: :lol: If its a good idea, then I'm brilliant. :wink: (Do they do this already?)
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Short Staffed

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:35 pm

Bobbie En Tejas wrote:
Annie wrote:This is precisely the reason why the area needs people like you, especially for those types of hikers/walkers who don't know the area, don't check the weather and go out alone and without any means of communication without telling anybody where the hell they are going and when they will be back.

Someone should start a rent-a-cell-phone business to the foreign walkers. Have them prepay for minutes and rental of the phone, and lay down a hefty deposit which they can get back when they return the phone. What is the reception like in the remote areas? I'm half kidding and half serious about this. If its a dumb idea, then I'm kidding :lol: :lol: If its a good idea, then I'm brilliant. :wink: (Do they do this already?)

Bobbie,

Great idea! This is the very idea the Kintyre Way people hope the walk will generate.

I must admit, in the year the board has been up and running, this has to be one of the most interesting debates we have had and not only that all discussed in a sensible manner. I know the people from the Kintyre Way have been reading this and while you may have some concerns over this thread there is nothing wrong with people airing their views - at least that way questions can be answered. In fact , a couple of doubts I had myself have been answered on here! :-)

More on this later.... :-)

David
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Kintyre Way Meeting

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:12 am

thep wrote:
linda_j wrote:
Kintyre News wrote:Remember there is a meeting about the Kintyre Way in the Argyll Hotel in Campbeltown tomorrow night.

Of course there was one in Tarbert tonight!

Can I ask what this was about ?

Linda,

From June 10th you will be able to walk the length of Kintyre. Starting in Tarbert and finishing in Southend a mere 89 miles later. The walk looks really good as it goes from one side of the peninsula to the other on the way down. Looks like fun!

Davie, are there any plans to have a grand opening walk or something? Some fanfare? Discounted lodging and food for people who start the walk on opening day or something? I still have my airline ticket to scotland, and that would be majorly cool if there was something like that going on. I'm not even sure I could do it, but it would be a lot of fun to try.

And speaking of walking, I have a friend who lives in Europe. She and her husband have walked many places, including the Alps. A couple of years ago they were scheduled to come to the States to walk the Continental Divide. Her husband hurt his knee, so she hiked it herself. She walked from New Mexico to the Canadian border. She went for days without seeing another person. This year she went to Peru by herself. She is back in San Antonio for a visit, and I get to see her tonight for the first time in months and can't wait to talk to her again. She really is one of the most amazing women I know.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Cell Phone Rental!

Postby Annie » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:46 am

Bobbie, that is a fantastic idea, and it would definitely generate decent business!!!!!!

Also, I think the grand opening idea would be awesome.

As for your friend, I think she deserves a medal for even attempting something like that! I take my hat off to her ... and my shirt, and my pants, and my shoes ... darnit - I'm doon tae ma skivvies and startin' to scare people!!!!!!!!!!![/i]
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Cell Phone Rental!

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:51 am

Annie wrote:Bobbie, that is a fantastic idea, and it would definitely generate decent business!!!!!!

Also, I think the grand opening idea would be awesome.

As for your friend, I think she deserves a medal for even attempting something like that! I take my hat off to her ... and my shirt, and my pants, and my shoes ... darnit - I'm doon tae ma skivvies and startin' to scare people!!!!!!!!!!![/i]

Should I tell her all this at the party tonight? lol
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PARTY!!!!!!!!!

Postby Annie » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:56 am

ABSO FREAKING LUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Kintyre Way Organisers

Postby Johnnie Walker » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:13 pm

thep wrote:

I must admit, in the year the board has been up and running, this has to be one of the most interesting debates we have had and not only that all discussed in a sensible manner. I know the people from the Kintyre Way have been reading this and while you may have some concerns over this thread there is nothing wrong with people airing their views - at least that way questions can be answered. In fact , a couple of doubts I had myself have been answered on here! :-)

So, perhaps I should be putting a bill in for advertising then? :)

Seriously though, this thread has indeed raised a lot of interesting thoughts. John S in particular is to be congratulated for his major effort in putting up an excellent response to many of the concerns I have raised. If we all put our thoughts into the debate in a positive manner, then we can make it really meaningful and useful.

But one major problem still remains, however. I am guessing what is going on here... and I rather gather from John's remarks that he is probably guessing to a large extent too. That is in no way a criticism. I'm not referring to his figures on jobs, or about SAR's willingness to co-operate, or to his opinions. I am referring to the simple and basic facts about the proposed Way. Which is due to open in June, two months from now

So, here is an open letter to the organisers, which I shall also email to them directly:-

Dear Sirs

Please can we have some facts about the Kintyre Way?

We understand that it is some 89 miles long altogether. Also that some parts of it are still in negotiation and that you may obviously wish to keep those negotiations to yourselves until they are completed. But, of the parts that have been established, please can we ask :-

1. How many miles of the Way are actually agreed at present?

2. Of those miles, how many are through publicly owned land or land such as Forestry Commission, other forestry plantations or SNH reserves?

3. How many of the miles are on public roads?

4. How many of the miles are across privately owned farmland?

5. What funding do you have in place and who is this from and what period is it to cover?

7. What staffing are you proposing and where is this to be based?

8. Are there any provisions for litter collection along the route and, if there are, is this by professionals or by volunteers?

9. What provisions are there for the safety of novice walkers in the wilder areas where there is no mobile phone signal?

10. There was a draft map of the route at your meeting recently, is it possible to have a copy of this made available to facilitate public discussion?

If you could please reply to this by means of a response on the Kintyre Community Forum I, and I'm sure many others of all opinions, would very much appreciate it.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Yours faithfully

John Cowan
Johnnie Walker
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby John S » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:25 pm

Johnny Walker Said:
It is our back yard. Who else will stand up for it, if not us?

Apart from concern for the safety of walkers John, the above would suggest that its your back yard that really concerns you? What are you afraid will happen to it?

You see I am concerned for my back yard too and that's why I want to see this walk in place. I want my back yard to be a peaceful and idyllic place and I want to be able to share this with others in a controlled and sensitive way. But I want it also to provide opportunity - opportunity to allow families not only to move here and enjoy it, as you have, but for children to grow up and make a living from it. In the past farming, fishing and latterly for a short time forestry provided some opportunity in this regard - we use our environmental assets to our advantage its part of our way of life, our culture.
[/quote]
John S
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

PreviousNext

Return to Local News and Issues