INDEPENDENCE

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Re: INDEPENDENCE

Postby muppetanimal » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:49 pm

On the eve of the referendum the thoughts of others must be considered.

In the words of the late Enoch Powell MP
Power devolved is power retained

In the words of the late leader (1926-31 and 34-39) of the Independent Labour Party, James Maxton MP,
I am convinced we can do more in five or ten years in a self-governing Scotland than could
be achieved in twenty-five or thirty years of heart-breaking struggle in the British House of Commons

In the words of David Cameron (in April 2007)
Supporters of independence will always cite examples of small, independent and thriving economies, such as Finland, Switzerland and Norway. It would be wrong to suggest that Scotland could not be another such successful, independent country

And finally the old joke ... What's the difference between devolution and evolution?
.... devolution takes longer.

On the 18th September vote YES for an independent Scotland.
muppetanimal
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby gizmo » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:38 pm

No thanks.
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby lochend » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:00 pm

GG & Gizmo,"You are making an assumption there that's way off the mark Lochend. Baz doesn't know who he is :wink:" Sorry to appear thick but am I missing something interesting here?
lochend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Shona » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:18 am

The turn out was huge. Will A&B be issuing a break down of turn out, so we can see how it went throughout Kintyre?
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Swanseajock » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:53 pm

I am interested to know if the Scottish Government are going to make sure that the 16 and 17 year olds are going to get a vote in the next Scottish elections, or was it a (failed) cynical political move?
Swanseajock
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby muppetanimal » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:23 pm

Shona wrote:The turn out was huge. Will A&B be issuing a break down of turn out, so we can see how it went throughout Kintyre?

Short answer to this is no, as the results from individual ballot boxes are not recorded officially during the process of the count in Lochgilphead.
----------------------------------------------
Swanseajock wrote:I am interested to know if the Scottish Government are going to make sure that the 16 and 17 year olds are going to get a vote in the next Scottish elections, or was it a (failed) cynical political move?

In response to the sour grapes comment above, the mandate for the referendum was a reserved matter from Westminster and it was Westminsters agreement to a request from Holyrood that 16 and 17 year olds were allowed to vote. I would note that Conservative, Labour and LibDem conferences have all in recent memory had this on their agenda, and I would like to think that this will be re-visited by them in the next few years in recognition of the mature and informed way in which this age group rose to the task last Thursday. Some of the older generation will remember that the voting age in the UK was 21 until 1970, at which point it was lowered to 18.
muppetanimal
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Shona » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:07 pm

Thanks, Muppetanimal. There were news reports saying there had been 100 per cent turn out on Jura, so I thought they may have recorded the number of people who had voted at each polling place. Obviously, no way of knowing how the vote split in Campbeltown, for example.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby muppetanimal » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:15 pm

Shona wrote:Thanks, Muppetanimal. There were news reports saying there had been 100 per cent turn out on Jura, so I thought they may have recorded the number of people who had voted at each polling place. Obviously, no way of knowing how the vote split in Campbeltown, for example.

The Council will know how many ballots were in each box but that information is not released as such. The unofficial breakdown of how each box has voted is done, in this instance, by samplers from each of the YES/NO sides trying to estimate how the vote percentages are in each box. They will know from the label on the box where it was used. When you see them on tv they are the folk behind a barrier with pen and clipboard looking at the ballot papers as they are unfolded onto the table ... not an exact science but a good sampler at a count can get a fairly accurate idea how a particular area has voted.
muppetanimal
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Previous

Return to Local News and Issues