INDEPENDENCE

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

INDEPENDENCE

Postby bumpkinsville » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:23 pm

Anyone voting nay might as well write "I hate myself and Scotland" on their own face because that's what you will be doing. Kintyre sits atop a sizeable oil field we are not allowed to drill because Trident needs silent safe passage, get rid of Trident and this area becomes a boomtown and one of the richest parts of the world, it's that simple. The government is lying to us because it makes a fortune out of Scotland. Wake up before it's too late and stop living in fear, a yes vote is not a Salmond vote.
Last edited by bumpkinsville on Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bumpkinsville
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: INDEPENDENCE

Postby gizmo » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:55 pm

Take some water with it.
What we need is debate not lectures. :<>
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby petewick » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:14 pm

gizmo wrote:Take some water with it.
What we need is debate not lectures. :<>

Make mine a double......
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Stebyr » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:47 pm

Of course to benefit from the oil you need oil rigs and what will they look like compared to the offshore wind farms that nobody seems to want
Stebyr
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby tarmmaker » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:08 pm

Some of us don't put money above everything else.
Whatever gets you thru the night. J Lennon.
tarmmaker
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Swanseajock » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:55 am

What annoys me most is that my country is in danger of being broken up, and I am not allowed a say :<>
Swanseajock
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby SouthendLass » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:00 pm

I'm on holiday at the moment in Devon (where I come from) and I've been asked so often about independence, I'm fed up with it. I thought I could come down here to get away from it all. Obviously not!
SouthendLass
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby muppetanimal » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:41 am

Swanseajock wrote:What annoys me most is that my country is in danger of being broken up, and I am not allowed a say :<>

Hmm .... didn't hear that Wales was being divided up into more manageable chunks. Goes to show the rubbish coverage of what's going on in the world via BBC broadcasting. Anyhoo, when Wales decides to follow Scotlands lead and go INDY you will get a vote in that referendum instead, unlike Dai Davies (from the Valleys) living in Brighton who won't be getting a vote on that question either.

How many Scots living in London and on that electoral register got to vote for Boris? How many Londoners living outside of London did not get to vote for Boris? ..... you get to vote where you are, NOT where you are from.
muppetanimal
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby russanros » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:43 am

..... you get to vote where you are, NOT where you are from.

And quite rightly too, no matter where you are from you earn & spend your money, pay your taxes to the area you live in.
I would not expect to have a vote in England should Scotland become independent, even though I was born there.

I hope Independence would bring a more local & accountable system than the present set up- especially hope it'll bring a shake up & real democracy for the rest of the UK - the system in westminster does really let us down, it badly needs updating to reflect other areas than London, as many have already said this will determine whether Scotland is a country or a region?

If Scotland votes no I genuinely fear for the NHS in particular, but also other things like education & public transport which have always been much better in Scotland.

Hate politics in general and getting weary of the debate, the Holyrood politicians may not be squeaky clean but they are compared to alot of the Westminster one's an the Tory party in general. Due to relative populations a UK government can never reflect the Scottish voters as there is many more people in the larger English counties than in Scotland as a whole country?

Sorry more questions than answers lol!
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby ionnsaigh » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:51 pm

Ionnsaigh, kicks off the YES Campaign. :D
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby smokynuk » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:32 pm

I am seriously concerned at the bias the YES vote gets in social media. Its almost as if you were going to vote NO then you are treated like a leper, a non-loyal scottish person, english lover or not proud to be scottish.

Its like people are ashamed to say they want to vote NO and are accused they do not want whats best for Scotland because of it. It seems the "in thing" to shout as loud as you can of you are a YES supporter, post as many memes and slogans as you can but keep quiet if you want to vote NO.
smokynuk
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby gizmo » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:10 pm

Has it ever been any other? Those with little to say often make a lot of noise. :roll:
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby baz » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:31 pm

smokynuk wrote:I am seriously concerned at the bias the YES vote gets in social media.

The bias that you see reflects the positivity of YES supporters.
It is a better indicator of the will of the people, than any poll.

People for NO just can't be positive, if they are scared or feeling threatened.
It is shameful, that there is not a compelling arguement for NO.

If you don't want democratic governance for Scotland,
Vote NO, keep everything the same.
And thats nothing to look forward to.

Is that worth shouting about on social media?
baz
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby smokynuk » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:45 pm

baz wrote:The bias that you see reflects the positivity of YES supporters.
It is a better indicator of the will of the people, than any poll.

Thats your opinion. Mine is that the NO voters are afraid to speak out less they be socially lynched.

baz wrote:If you don't want democratic governance for Scotland,
Vote NO, keep everything the same.
And thats nothing to look forward to.

That is precisley the attitude i am talking about. I have nothing against the YES voters being "positive". Its the attitude these people have against the NO voters.

Why exactly is keeping everything the same nothing to look forward too? Stability? Knowing what to expect? Contributing to a strong UK? You cannot say with absolute certainty that the alternative will be better.

I couldnt care less whether we have democratic govenance for Scotland or devolved powers from Wesminster. What i care about is the impact on me and my family in real terms and when it all comes down to the bottom line, isnt that what everyone is concerned about?
smokynuk
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby baz » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:04 am

smokynuk wrote:Thats your opinion. Mine is that the NO voters are afraid to speak out less they be socially lynched.

Why should that bother anyone?
Surely it works both ways.

smokynuk wrote:Why exactly is keeping everything the same nothing to look forward too? Stability? Knowing what to expect? Contributing to a strong UK? You cannot say with absolute certainty that the alternative will be better.

Well, I look forward to a nuclear free Clyde, democracy, our own foreign policy
and everything else that comes with Independence.
An Independent Scotland will be better.

smokynuk wrote:I couldnt care less whether we have democratic govenance for Scotland or devolved powers from Wesminster. What i care about is the impact on me and my family in real terms and when it all comes down to the bottom line, isnt that what everyone is concerned about?

In "real terms", the United Kindom sends its young men and woman to die for democracy in foreign lands.
If democracy is worth fighting and dying for, the least you could do is vote for it.
Is Scotland so undeserving of democracy? Is your family?

You fear a negative impact on you and your family, and thats reasonable.
Its doubt and uncertainty.
David Cameron seems sure though ...

baz
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Next

Return to Local News and Issues