Campbeltown Picture House to close at the end of August

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Campbeltown Picture House to close at the end of August

Postby CCBboard » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:52 pm

Campbeltown Picture House to close at the end of August, Campbeltown Community Business continues efforts to raise £3 million for redevelopment plans
Picture House facilities currently not sustainable due to need for restoration and improvement
Campbeltown Picture House is to close on 27th August, due to the current facilities not enabling the community run social enterprise to be commercially viable in the short term.
Despite having had its best season for ticket sales in many years, and receiving extremely positive comments from the community following the recent changes in the operation, the Picture House is in need of substantial improvement before it can become a sustainable modern cinema.
The cinema’s trading business, The Picture House, Campbeltown Limited, will be placed into voluntary liquidation on 29th August, whilst the parent organisation, Campbeltown Community Business Limited, which owns all of the Picture House’s assets, will remain intact. The volunteer Board will focus their time and endeavours to secure a current shortfall in the £3 million funding required to redevelop the facilities and create a modernised and refurbished cinema to better serve the local community in a sustainable manner.
Two full time and five part-time employees have been informed and CCB will do all it can to support employees to help them to identify and secure future employment or training opportunities.
Jane Mayo, Chairman, Campbeltown Community Business said, “Having fought long and hard to secure the future of the Picture House, with regret we have been left with no option other than to cease trading in our current form for the short term future. There have been recent successes , for example streaming live events from Andre Rieu and Monty Python and live theatre from Mull Theatre, but the building requires a significant refurbishment to meet the needs of all members of the community.
“We would like to thank all our employees, volunteers, customers and others who have supported the Picture House in recent years.
“Campbeltown Community Business will continue to fundraise to reach our development target of £3 million in funding, which will see The Picture House re-open in 2016 with a brand new second screen, a new foyer and cafe bar. We have developed a Business Plan which clearly demonstrates that a redeveloped Picture House will be able to perform much better financially and be a sustainable community enterprise. The two screen operation will allow a much expanded range of films as well as event cinema performances and even heritage related activities.”.
Rob Arthur, Interim Manager, Campbeltown Picture House who is also Managing Director of The Thurso Cinema said, “We are fully committed to supporting Campbeltown Community Business over the next two years as they aim to secure funding to re-develop and re-open The Picture House. The business needs to focus on providing a cinema for the people of Campbeltown and Kintyre which maintains the heritage of the current building and engages with all ages and all parts of the community using the latest digital technology. Significant improvements in the lobby and retail areas are envisaged to offer the community a wider range of food, snacks and drinks which, alongside a broader range of films and live events will ensure long-term sustainability for the venue. After re-development the cinema will be a significant local employer and we look forward to welcoming customers back to the Picture House on completion of re-development works.”
The final screenings at the Picture House will be held on Wednesday 27th and details can be found on http://campbeltownpicturehouse.co.uk/
Anybody looking to support the redevelopment fund can provide donations to the fundraising campaign or enter a competition to win prizes here - http://pick-a-peck.co.uk/
<Ends>

For further information please contact the CCB board by email in the first instance at: CCBBoard@yahoo.co.uk
CCBboard
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Campbeltown Picture House to close at the end of August

Postby kintyre 84 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:21 am

I am so saddened to hear this news!

However I really don't understand this. I think it has to be explained in laymen's terms.
Surely if the business is not sustainable now it never will be?

I have never been to the cinema more since the changes were made. Others I know have said the same.
Perhaps I am missing the point but I would like to hear the board giving a plain English response explaining the reasons.
kintyre 84
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby WC1 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:05 am

See my post on the other Picture House page. Like you, kintyre84, I've been to the pictures a lot more often recently, both for films and the live events. To tell the truth, it's been costing me a small fortune!! But maybe not enough folk have followed our example.
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby jingscrivens » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:36 pm

This is terrible news. Like you folks I have been going more often recently, partly on principle but partly because there was such a good choice of things to see.

However, we couldn't have been the only ones who questioned the structure of the building. It's a bad sign if, when buying a ticket, you have some banter with the staff about the best place to sit - where will be the safest place when the balcony collapses? We chose the back row of the balcony in the end, but when the lights came up we discovered a recent patch of plaster on the ceiling. We immediately decided we'd not be buying tickets after a downpour, thinking back to the Apollo theatre roof collapse.

I can see that some of that £3m quoted would be for "improvements", like the two screens and the café, but some would have to be for basic maintenance. It would be good to know more of the breakdown.
jingscrivens
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby maxmix » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:31 am

The full story from a few days ago....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-28839130

maxmix
maxmix
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby SYDNEY.B » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:32 pm

very sad, dont think there is really any need for cafe/bar dont think this would increase figures for going to see a film, expensive enough without going to cafe.bar before or after film.
SYDNEY.B
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby muppetanimal » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:55 pm

I am reminded of that most appropriate of old expressions

"Cut your coat according to your cloth"

Would it not be more senible to make sure that the building was wind and watertight first before embarking
on a lavish scheme of internal refurbishment and unnecessarily elaborate enhancement such as a cafe bar?

Or are delusions of grandeur a necessary prerequisite when the applications go in for grant funding in 21st century Britain?
muppetanimal
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Govangirl » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:30 pm

Very sad :(
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby WC1 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:07 pm

Would it not be more senible to make sure that the building was wind and watertight first before embarking
on a lavish scheme of internal refurbishment and unnecessarily elaborate enhancement such as a cafe bar?

Please be assured the building IS wind and watertight, having had a new roof just a couple of years ago, when the balcony passageway was glassed in. As for being 'lavish', having seen the plans at last night's EGM/AGM, I can also assure you that the modernisation scheme is far from that. It will, however, add better foyer space and an improved sales kiosk along with the 'cafe/bar'. The point of this is to give the cinema new income streams beyond just the sale of tickets.

When you buy a ticket for any cinema, as much as 55% of the ticket price goes straight to the distributor. Another 20% is VAT. That doesn't leave much to heat and light the place, keep it wind and watertight, and pay the staff. The average multiplex run by Odeon or Cineworld makes around 60% of its income from sales of coke, popcorn, hot dogs, etc. That's where the Picture House, as it stands at present, loses out. The new foyer and its cafe/bar, so far from being an unecessarily elaborate vanity project, will actually serve to boost the income side of the balance sheet and help keep the place open.

Yes, it's sad that the cinema has had to close, but it will be temporary. July 2016 is already pencilled in as the date of re-opening. It will be worth waiting for!
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Swanseajock » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:21 pm

I hope I am not too pessimistic, but too often situations like this end up being permanent. People get out of the habit of going to the pictures, and even now, despite what I understand has been a concerted effort to widen the appeal, it seems underused. I spoke to someone who went to the CG closing ceremony which was shown live, and there was less than a dozen souls there. I hope for the best, but fear the worst. 2 years is an awful long time
Swanseajock
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby dunc99 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:41 pm

See this article from the BBC today, half way down,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-29457305

A bit short of the £3M required to get it back on its feet.
dunc99
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Swanseajock » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:14 pm

dunc99 wrote:See this article from the BBC today, half way down,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-29457305

A bit short of the £3M required to get it back on its feet.

But still a good whack towards it. Didn't someone once say "Every little helps" ?
Swanseajock
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Bitter End » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:44 pm

and the next stage from the Heritage Lottery Fund --- :)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-30469187
Twice through the eye o' the sun to lift it.
Bitter End
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Local News and Issues