Campbeltowns Changing Fortunes

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Oban community? forum

Postby petewick » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:13 pm

Aye Malky, just had a wee look there myself, proves to an extent what I was saying.
It's grim up North.

There ye' are now.

Petewick
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby scotty » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:58 pm

The toon is so welcoming to tourists, for example was watching the Scotland / Belarus match the other night in Whisky Mac's, when 4 young lads from south of the border came in.

can't say that the toon has been that welcoming to some people that have come to the town the first couple of years that i was here was a nightmare as everybody thought you were from out of town and wanted to (fill you in) so you need to think again pete if you think everybody in campbeltown is tourist friendly :evil:
Come to the dark side , We have cookies.
scotty
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby petewick » Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:39 am

Scott,

Sorry about your initial rough time here, but I am aware that there are a minority of idiots of the kind you mentioned, and thankfully they are becoming fewer.
I think that you have missed the point I was making which was the fact that such thing as happened the other night would not have occurred in Oban.
Just as well you did'nt move to Oban, it would have cost you a fortune in karate lessons. :P

Petewick
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby scotty » Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:44 pm

Just saying that Campbeltown is not perfect but it is getting better but there is a small minority that still have the small town attitude. Got to say though that i have seen some so called tourist playing up in the pub and the locals just ignoring them. If they walked in to a pub up the road and did that i think they would be removing the splinters from a pool cue from the back of their heid. :lol:
Come to the dark side , We have cookies.
scotty
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby petewick » Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:38 pm

You are absolutely right Scott, part of the problem the said minority have is the fact that they have not been further than the Gobagrennan road end, primarily due to the fact that they are afraid to go there, so they stay here and get their kicks out of spoiling everyone elses fun because their own lives are so empty.
I think we should concentrate on our good qualities and endeavour to learn from negative experiences.

Regards, Petewick :lol:
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Be confident but beware.

Postby oorly gourlay » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:58 pm

In my younger days I would leave the town asap on a Friday afternoon and not return until alap on a Sunday night in pursuit, home and away, of a fitba' team from Maryhill. It took me 2 or 3 years to realise that what I was leaving was every bit as good, if not better, than where I was visiting and I am still convinced of this. I have seen some amazing sights in Europe and beyond but still the best sight is from Drumore entering the town. I am lucky, unlike WTA who had to leave to pursue his career and escape the Wee Bro (congrats on the nephew), that I could stay in the town and pursue mine, not 1st choice but I enjoy it, and it has given me an insight into the rest of Argyll.
While Campbeltown is definitely on the up and the Kilmory led influx of degenerates has declined, we should take note of what is happening in the rest of the county as a warning. Take Oban as the prime example, it is filling with incomers who are prepared to pay in excess of £100,000 for building plots and fairly ordinary houses for the same kind of money leaving young locals without any chance of getting a foothold on the property ladder. The town itself, and I don't agree with the comments about the Obanites, has become a tourist trap with woollen mills and tartan tat in very other shop and tends to become worse every summer. In spite of this the tourists seem to return year after year and lap it up. The same can also be said for Mull and Dunoon especially as far as the property market is concerned. Do we want this? I hope not.
As far as I am concerned, the town's regeneration would better in the hands of John S and LO, than those of Argyll & Bute Council whose Convener was once heard to remark "we should build a wall at Tarbert and keep them in."
The town has far more positives than negatives although I am cynical about recent news about an empty building at Drumore, grazing land at Clochkeil and a white elephant at the head of the old quay. Hopefully AIE will get its act together sooner rather than later and give us some good news about long term, lasting employment.
Over land and sea!
oorly gourlay
Active Poster
Active Poster

Tourism

Postby petewick » Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:03 pm

For the last week on my return to Oban I have been staying at a backpackers hostel until my flat is ready.
This is inexpensive, basic accomodation but it is clean and well run. I will find more info on the hostel and post on to you all soon.
Whilst here I have been associated with travellers from all over Europe, Far East and the Americas, wonderful experience.
A lot of them who are visiting Scotland for the first time have been asking of any places to visit, so naturally I recommend Campbeltown.
A French student said to me that the Tourist Info Office in Oban encouraged them to travel north or visit other areas to the east.
Why not south?
This reminds me of a story related to me a few years ago by my friends who run a B&B in Campeltown.
They had a lady and gentleman who arrived one evening who said that the TIO in Lochgilphead had tried to discourage them from coming to Campbeltown, and to travel further north.
The gentleman explained that he specifically wanted to go to Campbeltown as he had been there as a wartime evacuee.
It is frustrating trying to promote your home town when the Tourist Information Service are prompting visitors to go elsewhere.
On the subject of the hostel, surely a facility like this for Campbeltown is not beyond the realms of reality.
Petewick :lol:
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Tourism

Postby petewick » Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:19 pm

Re the hostel I mentioned, no actual website, but key in jeremy inglis hostel in your search engine and there is an abundance of information.
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby petewick » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:24 pm

Another plus that Oban has is the partially open top double decker bus which is owned by West Coast Motors. Went on a wee trip to Connel and then down to Easdale yesterday. Fab.
Also there are abot 4 or 5 small motor vessels which take passengers on trips around the area.
Campbeltown has such a wide potential for such amenities, surley someone with a bit of acumen could bring similar attractions tae the toon.
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

hostel

Postby general jack o'niell » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:06 pm

your suggetion that a hostel in town would be a good idea.

several years ago large building or group of buildings near the centre of town came on the market. a local community group planned to purchase said property and use part of it for their own purposes. the remainder and vastly larger portion would be turned into a hostel and recording studio.

a great idea, then the chairman of said group announced the plan to the local press, along with the amount they were going to pay. what do you think happened next?

a "local" firm with a history of fixem up cheap, rent em out fast, purchased the property for £400 more. did it up sold it on for a good profit.

no new premises, no hostel, no recording studio, the place has gone to the birds.

don't start me on the argyll north/ south divide, i was in helensburgh at weekend in their beautifully maintained park, here the old folks canna get their grass cut!!! and as for argyll now starting at balloch, don't start me!!
general jack o'niell

Re: hostel

Postby bubbly jock » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:16 pm

general jack o'niell wrote:"local" firm with a history of fixem up cheap, rent em out fast, purchased the property for £400 more. did it up sold it on for a good profit.

I always wondered when the dripping roast would dry up for that cowboy.

Not so smart at the moment selling the jerry built midgie valley husks though is he??

bubbly
bubbly jock

Hostel

Postby John S » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:09 pm

Within 10 miles of Ballycastle there are 5 hostels, LO and I visited the latest one on a visit to Ballycastle re the ferry. It is a community owned venture, which refurbished a distinguished, but run down local building in Bushmills. It was in its second year orf operation and making a profit. Strikes me that there is opportunity here for that kind of hostel plenty old public buildings, community businesses, community sprit etc. On Arran a local community hall secured a significant grant for a complete refurbishment because they built a hostel onto the rear, which generates sufficient income to maintain the hall and save for future repairs and upgrades.

Anyone interested in taking on a similar venture?
John S
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby petewick » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:39 pm

JS, it would be grand if someone did take on the running of a hostel/bunkhouse in the town.
I was just thinking after reading your message, is it true that the council are pulling out of the Christian Institute?
That would be ideal for such a venture, please let me know if the above is true. :P

Petewick
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby John S » Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:12 am

The council, I think, are keen to rationalise their office space in the town, and no doubt when we hear from the Yellow Book people mention will be made of this - that all seems to have all gone very quite though.

I have heard talk that the Christian Institute has problems internally and given the high roof space would be murder to maintain without massive investment.
John S
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby elainemck » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:44 pm

Myself and a group of 'toon' and ex-toon girlies visited Oban for a weekend and stayed at the Jeremy Inglis hostel and it was fab! Basic and cheap - just what Campbeltown is needing.

I know Oban can be tacky (re tartan mills etc) but it's catering for what the tourists are looking for and all the boat trips/tours etc on offer attracts thousands.

It seems that there is a lot of great ideas coming from this forum to help boost Campbeltown - are these being noted by higher authorities/committies? It looks as though this brainstorming could help the town's economy if these ideas were taken on board.

I've been living 'up the road' now for 5 years and would love to move back to the town at some stage (especially as it seems as if it's improving by every visit) however I don't think Stuart (my boyfriend for those of you not knowing!) would get a job in his line of work which kind of scuppers us!!

Davie P - no wonder you moved back - you stayed in the Berkeley Street Mansion! Puts anyone off Glasgow!
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Local News and Issues