Local Attractions

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Local Attractions

Postby Kintyre Lad » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:09 pm

Davaar Island and the Cave Painting - do any of you feel this could be promoted better (or is already well promoted). The Cave painting is wonderful and a must for anyone visiting the area but do you feel it is promoted enough locally??

What about other local attractions - what are your favourites?
Kintyre Lad
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby John S » Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:02 am

Tarbert now has fingerposts from the centre of the village to indicate local attractions, raised this numerous times as an idea for Campbeltown but cant seem to get the anyone enthusiastic about it. - I like the view coming up the loch towards the town.
John S
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

attraction promotion

Postby elainemck » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:18 pm

I don't think a lot of Campbeltown/Kintyre's attractions are promoted enough!! There isn't much promotion in the town regarding attractions (although it is getting better) and virtually no promotion of Campbeltown/surrounding areas nationwide and internationally. This website is definitely a great thing for promoting area but more in the area should be done.

Signposts/fingerposts are a great idea. Is there a Campbeltown booklet with attractions, maps etc listed? If so this should be placed not only in tourist info shop but at local retailers.

What about the Music Festival? I know tickets are gone for some of the main events but promoting it in the national press would surely get some of the campers and festival-goers back!? The Skye Music Festival got some big names in this year and got rave reviews from many newspapers and magazines.

What about other places such as the beaches, owl centre, bengullion walk, golf courses, cinema, boat trips etc. Are they promoted/advertised locally?
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

toilets!!

Postby kmcgeachy01 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:40 pm

they shud think aboot putting toilets inbetween lochgilped and the toon :idea:
kmcgeachy01
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: toilets!!

Postby Ship called Dignity » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:08 am

kmcgeachy01 wrote:they shud think aboot putting toilets inbetween lochgilped and the toon :idea:

Tarbert , Tayinloan :?: :roll: :wink:
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Promoting the Town

Postby Machrihanish » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:43 pm

I think websites like this and others do a good job at promoting the town.
Last time I was home I took my daughter and a friend to Davaar to see the painting and met 2 very nice old ladies who were on a religious pilgrimige (of sorts) They had found info about the painting and other local sites online.
Cheers
Machrihanish
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Nancie » Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:10 pm

Thanks to Kintyre Lad for bringing up this topic. I agree, not enough is done to advertise local attractions although the Tourist Office is full of leaflets for the owl centre, the seabird observatory, the mull of kintyre seatours etc and there are general leaflets on the whole area.

To add to these, Campbeltown Community Council has decided to form a group to designate Kintyre Heritage Sites (see Campbeltown Courier this week). At first we thought of buildings eg the Town Hall and Library (Burnet building) but there will be different categories like the cave painting and Columba's footprints and various archaeological sites.

The group will apply for funding for plaques which will be placed on or near the heritage sites and also funding for leaflets which will explain the Kintyre Heritage Sites Trail for visitors. Also for locals and for school children doing projects on the local area.

The first meeting of the group will be in September when holidays are past. Anyone interested please get in touch with me or come along to the meeting which will be well advertised here and in the Courer and radio.

Nancie
Nancie
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Return to Local News and Issues