Not playing fair! Campbeltown and Kintyre deserves better

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Re: Not playing fair! Campbeltown and Kintyre deserves better

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:00 pm

Is that referring to the pitch The Pupils play on?
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:35 pm

Does it?!!
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:50 pm

4th gen Suthen' wrote:Is that referring to the pitch The Pupils play on?

Yes, this refers to Kintyre Park. Have not heard anything regarding the results.

Interesting to note the Final of Provan Shield in the Campbeltown and District Amateur Football League will be played on OBAN (on the 3rd Generation Park) to ensure the game is played. Not bad that teams have to travel nearly 100 miles now to ensure a game is played.

This is on the back of Campbeltown Boys losing their right to play their West of Scotland tie at home after it was cancelled four Saturdays on the trot and now must travel to Ayrshire to play.
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ranald » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:53 pm

Kintyre Forum News wrote:

This is on the back of Campbeltown Boys losing their right to play their West of Scotland tie at home after it was cancelled four Saturdays on the trot and now must travel to Ayrshire to play.

Not true. We had two cancellations - 31st Oct and 7th Nov. If the game had been postponed again last Saturday we'd have been forced to switch it but the opposition (from Glasgow) were debt suspended so we got a bye to the next round, which is an away tie in Ayrshire.

The point is true enough though, no way would the game have been on last week so it would have had to be switched.

On the subject of the all weather pitch, as someone put it today the closest we'll probably get in Campbeltown is a collection of old subbuteo pitches :(
Can you blame the man for going out of his mind temporarily?
Ranald
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby elainemck » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:17 pm

The All Weather Pitch is on the Agenda of next Monday's (30th Nov) South Kintyre Sports Council meeting at 7pm in Aqualibrium where it is hoped that the results of the survey will be discussed and how we can take it forward.
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:53 am

Ranald wrote:
Kintyre Forum News wrote:

Not true. We had two cancellations - 31st Oct and 7th Nov. If the game had been postponed again last Saturday we'd have been forced to switch it but the opposition (from Glasgow) were debt suspended so we got a bye to the next round, which is an away tie in Ayrshire.

The point is true enough though, no way would the game have been on last week so it would have had to be switched.

Thanks for the clarification Ranald. As you say however, the point was true. We'll be lucky if we see both local amateur teams play more than one game this side of Christmas in Campbeltown.

Ranald wrote:On the subject of the all weather pitch, as someone put it today the closest we'll probably get in Campbeltown is a collection of old subbuteo pitches :(
Unfortunately, very true. :cry:

We have a video of the kids playing last Tuesday night on the Meadows which we will post shortly. How ironic that these poor wee souls were raising money for Children in Need when they are indeed the ones in need!

Good to see the question being raised elsehwere and on the excellent For Argyll website at

http://forargyll.com/2009/11/campbeltow ... n-in-need/

We are in discussions with For Argyll to support the AWP Campaign for Campbeltown and Kintyre and highlight the issue to a wider audience. The Campbeltown Courier will also be supporting the appeal. We really need to get the community behind this as one.

This looks like a good time to ask why Campbeltown hasn’t got an all-weather sports pitch? Beautiful as Kintyre is, Campbeltown is literally out on a limb. There’s a short menu of things to do and an all-weather pitch is very much in line with the Scottish Government’s push for a healthier and more active society io Scotland.
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:28 pm

Good to see the Campbeltown Courier highlighting and pushing this issue again. From yesterday's paper and taken from the Courier's website at;

http://www.campbeltowncourier.co.uk/new ... pitch.html

IT COULD be make or break time for Campbeltown’s all weather pitch hopes.

It has been an ongoing battle for sports enthusiasts in Campbeltown over the last few years to get an all weather pitch; this would provide a dry surface to play matches and train on.

Earlier in the year Argyll and Bute Council took soil samples from Kintyre Park and the results are expected later this month.

Now organisations in the area have made fresh calls for outdoor training facilities, as football clubs like Campbeltown Pupils and the Boys are continuing to train in the dark or by streetlight, on wet, muddy and uneven surfaces.

A public meeting was held at the start of the year to discuss the best way forward and the suggestion by Campbeltown Pupils, that Kintyre Park be converted into an all weather pitch, was put forward.

Third sector spokesman Councillor John Semple gave an update to South Kintyre Sports Council on Monday and told The Courier that he would be arranging a meeting of interested parties in mid January when details of the ground conditions at Kintyre Park had been received to look at the options available.<br><br>

‘This would include the possibility of an all weather training facility on Kinloch Road which may be possible to part fund through the Campbeltown, Helensburgh, Oban, Rothesay and Dunoon (CHORD) Programme,’ he said.

But Councillor Semple does not want to raise expectations of an all weather pitch coming to Campbeltown anytime soon.

‘The budget we are going into this year is likely to be the tightest in living memory and some very difficult decisions will have to be made about the services provided by Argyll and Bute Council. The prospect in future years is no better.’<br><br>
The Meadows Playing Fields has always been a favoured site but the depth of the peat on the Meadows, which would have to be removed, would make this a very expensive option.

Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Davie P » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:31 pm

This situation is depressing to say the least. We're not getting a new school in the immediate future so no solution there. Story has it Kintyre Park isn't suitable and at the end of the day it was only an option and not necessarily the answer. So we (the community) are back to square one again and no further forward with a solution.

There is a constant suggestion from bodies that we have to get the community behind this (which you have to say wtf? to) but does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on how we can take this forward, how we can highlight our case more. The one thing that we have to do is build a case. We all know we need an AWP but we have to demonstrate why and the need.

A few interesting points I noted this week are;

1. Campbeltown is the furthest town from a 3rd Generation All Weather Pitch in Mainland Scotland.

2. Campbeltown is the only town in Argyll with two amateur teams playing in the Scottish Amateur Football League (SAFL) - Campbeltown Pupils celebrate their 90th anniversary this year while Campbeltown Boys have played in the SAFL for over 30 years. Tabert AFC make it the third Kintyre side to play in the SAFL meaning that NO team in Kintyre has access to the facilities enjoyed by other larger settlements in Argyll (eg Oban, Dunoon, Helensburg and Rothesay).

3. In SEVENTEEN weeks since the SAFL season started there have only been FOUR games hosted by the two Campbeltown teams (Pupils have hosted 2 at home and the Boys 2 also).

4. Campbeltown Boys were previously threatened with expulsion from the league if they did not improve on the number of games being cancelled at home. This was two years ago and the SAFL said they would review this in two years - in that time CBAFC were to work with the Council to improve this situation. This point was re-iterated again at the SAFL meeting on Thursday night at a meeting at Hampden in Glasgow. (concern was raised again at the number of cancellations)

5. All youth football (Campbeltown Soccer Centre, Campbeltown and District Youth Football Association and the schools football) have NO access to any outdoor facilities during the winter. This covers the age groups of 4 - 18 years old. Again the only major community in Argyll to have no access to such facilities. (I am sure we could add to this and plan to once I get information from those involved)

6. Campbeltown and District Amateur Football League run a local from April - September and were blighted with the number of cancellations this year that could have been played on an AWP.

7. The same league above saw their Provan Sheild Cup Final played in OBAN today after cancellation after cancellation forced both teams to travel to the north of Argyll to play their cup final on a 3G park.

8. There are NO outdoor training facilities for ANYONE in Campbeltown. NO designated area and NO lights - teams have to train under the street lights! We are talking about nearly 2010 here!!!! These facilities have not improved in the 90 years Campbeltown Pupils have existed!!!! :evil:

9. Campbeltown was a Priority 1 on the Council Playing Field Strategy for an AWP to now be last - why?

10. As said before, we are othe only major centre of population in Argyll & Bute with access to All Weather Pitch facilities

11. We have the ONLY mainland secondary school without access to All Weather Pitch facilities in the WHOLE of the Argyll & Bute Council area.

12. Surely after 1 above we have reason enough!!!!! :evil:

Christ, I am glad I got that out. :wink: But seriously we need to stand up and be counted on this one. I've obviously referred to football above (as that is my main interest) but other sports could make use of such a facility and we need support in that area too.
Davie P
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby History » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:23 pm

Davie this is just a question. Your post makes a good case for football. Is an AWP all about football? If so do you think that would get all the community involved or just interested parties.

Would it serve as a training ground for other activities or would football take precedent over say for example shinty or athletics? How are AWP's utilised in other areas. What other uses could the community get from it?

I am just joe public and I don't really understand what it's about so a campaign of some kind may raise awareness and answer some questions.
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Davie P » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:51 pm

History, good questions. No the AWP campaign is about other sports too - any sport that could make use of it. I'm actually not involved in football in the town anymore but it is still my main interest and the one that I hear most about.

History wrote:Davie this is just a question. Your post makes a good case for football. Is an AWP all about football? If so do you think that would get all the community involved or just interested parties.

Would it serve as a training ground for other activities or would football take precedent over say for example shinty or athletics? How are AWP's utilised in other areas. What other uses could the community get from it?

Isn't all about football but it is the area I know most about. Other sports like Rugby, Atheletics would be able to make use of it. There is an issue however, with the likes of shinty being played on a 3G (or better) surface as it would damage it. I'm not representing anyone when I post here but I have an interest in all Sports.

However, I guess the fact is football is the main sport in Campbeltown and actually accounts for 95% of people involved in local clubs. There is no official shinty or rugby club for example. It looks like that this is the same throughout Argyll and the main use is for football. I hope regardless of anyone's sporting likes the Community would get behind it. We all surely have someone we know would make use of it. I guestimate as many as 1 in 10 people in the Community would use it.

One hope is we could get a 3G (or better) surface and when we get a new school (eventually!) then this will be 2G to suit shinty, hockey and in general all sports (some sort of facilities will have to be provided). So in essence the town has the best facilities for ALL sports. 8)

History wrote:I am just joe public and I don't really understand what it's about so a campaign of some kind may raise awareness and answer some questions.

I'm just joe public too but just scunnered to the back teeth of us falling further and further behind everyone else. (yes, and when it comes to football especially 8) ) To a certain degree I just wanted to record the facts that were relayed in the past week and have this on record somewhere. The bodies keep on saying we have to build a case so just thought I would post on here. I don't want this to sound like some political rant as we know that is all pash anyway. 8)

Sorry if it was all about football but I guess when you look at in the cold day of light that is really what it is all about and we have to support the needs of community. Afterall, it played a huge part in many of our upbringing in Campbeltown and always played an important part.
Davie P
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby History » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:16 pm

I take it the difference between 2g and 3g or better is a few thousand? :D What's Lochgilhead's AWP rating?

I passed the last night on my way back from Glasgow and for the first time ever when I have passed there was nobody using the pitch.
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby chuckle » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:27 am

Davie your comments and enthusiasm are very commendable and it is great to see such local energy being put towards this project but we will need more, we need a campaign and an organised committee of 'AWP in Campbeltown Supporters' to be able to get the campaign in motion. Any volunteers? I would be prepared to help.

I note your comments re football, not my bag but totally understand that it is the favoured sport in the area. I am campaigning to get some mini rugby training (4-13yrs) going in the area and an AWP would be tremendous. I would think that it is essential that the surface is suitable for ALL sports if possible and if it costs more then so be it, if we need to start to fund raise ourselves to prove we mean business then why not?

What other sites would be available? Anything on the edge of town?

Look forward to hearing all further thoughts.
A Thank You and a Smile cost nothing but the gift is priceless.
chuckle
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby History » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:56 am

chuckle wrote:I note your comments re football, not my bag but totally understand that it is the favoured sport in the area. I am campaigning to get some mini rugby training (4-13yrs) going in the area and an AWP would be tremendous. Anything on the edge of town?

Not mine either and as there is not much else maybe that's why it is favoured. Not every male wants to play football but if that's what your pals are doing then it beats sitting at home. At least mini rugby would be an alternative.

A site outwith the town or on the fringes would be ideal especially if there were parking facilities.

Would need a really big push for all parts of the community to want to be involved.
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Davie P » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:25 pm

History wrote:I take it the difference between 2g and 3g or better is a few thousand? :D What's Lochgilhead's AWP rating?

I passed the last night on my way back from Glasgow and for the first time ever when I have passed there was nobody using the pitch.

History - not sure of the cost difference but I would imaginge 3G is more expensive. 3G is very impressive and you can play official football matches on this now. This is accepted by the SAFL and SFA. Here is an image

2G is sand based and is very sore on the joints etc - it is like a concrete floor with a carpet and sand on top. You can't play official games on it and reports from Lochgilphead have said a number of people have injured themself from simply falling on the surace.

You can find out more information at (for example) - http://www.ambsports.com/html/pitches.html

Really don't see why we shouldn't be aiming for the best and go for 4G.

chuckle wrote:but we will need more, we need a campaign and an organised committee of 'AWP in Campbeltown Supporters' to be able to get the campaign in motion. Any volunteers? I would be prepared to help.

The whole thing has been going on and on for years Chuckle - there was a meeting on March with regards it and there was a good turn out. I believe there will be another meeting in January which Cllr Semple will be arranging. Following the meeting we had in March Cllr Semple asked us not to have another meeting and there was no need for an organised committee and to take his lead on this. Not sure why but I we can find out more in January about this. You should come along - the more people interested in helping the better. The local Sports Council has been trying to highlight the situation for years but the Council have just been throwing it from pillar to post.

chuckle wrote:I note your comments re football, not my bag but totally understand that it is the favoured sport in the area. I am campaigning to get some mini rugby training (4-13yrs) going in the area and an AWP would be tremendous.

That is great - you should come along to the next South Kintyre Sports Council - it will be the last Monday in January - and see what support can be offered. If you e-mail me at david@campbeltown.info I can get the secretary to e-mail you details.

chuckle wrote:I would think that it is essential that the surface is suitable for ALL sports if possible and if it costs more then so be it, if we need to start to fund raise ourselves to prove we mean business then why not?

Unfortunately, there isn't a surface that will suit ALL sports. 2G is more generic in terms of more sports could probably use it but as agreed at the meeting in March it has to be 3G at the very least to ensure we get the maximum use of it. Not ideal for some other sports but 3G would suit the majority - Rugby, Football and Athletics.

chuckle wrote:What other sites would be available? Anything on the edge of town?

It really needs to be near existing infrastructure to get funding - ie changing rooms. Unfortunately the Meadows where we have superb changing facilities would cost over 1.2 million to have an AWP on it - due to the peat etc. It really would be the ideal but no firm would give the Council a guarantee that there would not be sinkage etc. Kinloch Green and the Upper School Playing field were the best sites on the bore tests completed by the Council.

Right need to go. 8)
Davie P
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby smiles » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:50 pm

Davie, I don't think it is the comunity that needs convincing with regards the need. The one big problem we have always encountered is the lack of sport interest from people employed in the Council in Campbeltown. There is no interest what so ever in local sports. The same can be said about our local councillors. Then you have the local schools and PE where there is no interest in football at all. Bring back Sandy MacPherson anyday.
smiles
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Local News and Issues