Not playing fair! Campbeltown and Kintyre deserves better

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Re: Not playing fair! Campbeltown and Kintyre deserves better

Postby Sport » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:04 pm

Mags B wrote:Looks like all of Saturday's posts have disappeared from the forum.

The radio show was Sports Weekly at 9.05 with John Beattie. You can listen again by going on to the BBC Radio Scotland website - available for one week.

Thanks Mags - much appreciated. Did someone post a link to its website?

On another note it is interesting to note you can now get 4th Generation All Weather surfaces. Think we have to push for this. "Campbeltown - last place to get an All Weather Pitch, first to get 4th Generation"!!

Imagine kids getting a chance to develop their skills on this...

Please visit the Sports Council's new website and check out our latest news! http://www.southkintyresportscouncil.com
Sport
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Stone Cold aka Doags Bs » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:22 pm

Those 4th generation surfaces are superb. Played on one a few times now and it's just excellent.
Stone Cold aka Doags Bs
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby £3.73 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:44 pm

aye ? it looks amazing !
most days I feel like Gene Hackman in the Poseidon Adventure
£3.73
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby dalintober lad » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:28 pm

Sport wrote:On another note it is interesting to note you can now get 4th Generation All Weather surfaces. Think we have to push for this. "Campbeltown - last place to get an All Weather Pitch, first to get 4th Generation"!!

Is'nt there a 4th Gen. at Suthen. ? ? ? :lol:
You’ll never get mixed up if you simply tell the truth. Then you don’t have to remember what you have said, and you never forget what you have said.
dalintober lad
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby TYM » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:28 pm

Given that the Council are going to use lack of funding to refuse or delay the funding of an AWP pitch can we not push for some of the £6.5 million allocated to the Town Centre & Waterfront Project? I cannot help but feel that as things stand, once this money has been spent, what shall we see? Maybe Kinloch Road smartened up a bit, a slightly improved marina and a few old buildings renovated. We may get the benefit of a few more tourists but I doubt if many of us will think that our every day lives will have benefited from this project.

Perhaps the money is ring fenced in some way but I am sure that if "we" as a community were consulted, then the result would be that we would rather see something far more likely to be used and be of benefit than spent, as things stand on the existing plans for the Town Centre and Waterfront Project.
TYM
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby campbeltownx » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:07 pm

Can this not be legally challenged? i.e Unfair on the council tax payers who pay the same throughout Argyll & Bute but not getting the same facilities. Or perhaps legally challenge just to raise awareness and gain publicity!! A whole town takes on the council! David v Goliath! You know where I'm going with this........... If every town in Argyll & Bute got their bins lifted every week and Campbeltown was once a month, do you think the council should get away with that?? It's the same thing.and they should be held to account.
campbeltownx
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Ship called Dignity » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:13 pm

campbeltownx wrote:If every town in Argyll & Bute got their bins lifted every week and Campbeltown was once a month, do you think the council should get away with that?? It's the same thing.and they should be held to account.

Good points campbeltownx

We really do have a strong case. It just beggars belief that we, as a community, have to go cap in hand asking for this.... :? :oops:
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sport » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:04 am

Just to draw your attention to the fact that the campaign group for an All Weather Pitch in Campbeltown have organised a Petition to demonstrate the feeling of this in the local community.

Please, please take a minute to sign this petition and show your support for our campaign

ImageImage

IF anyone is in any doubt about how bad it is in Campbeltown then please take a second to look at these videos taken the week before the clocks went back. This was not staged, this was a normal Tuesday night for three sets of footballers in Campbeltown.

If only we had a midnight league we would be world champions...........

Young boys traing down Kinloch Green

Pupils on Meadows

Boys on Kinloch Green

Please visit the Sports Council's new website and check out our latest news! http://www.southkintyresportscouncil.com
Sport
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Mary G » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:28 am

Hi Sport

Was in the town last weekend, and it will be a few weeks before I am back, so will have difficulty getting my signature on the paper version any time soon.

Are you planning an on-line petition? There are some good free versions around (survey monkey, ipetition, epetitions, petitiononline, etc)

Cheers, M
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby smiles » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:49 pm

I am surprised Kintyre Park is being put forward, alot of history there. Won't this mean the town loses a good grass park if suitable?
smiles
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby bud » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:23 am

smiles wrote:I am surprised Kintyre Park is being put forward, alot of history there. Won't this mean the town loses a good grass park if suitable?

dont know if it is a good grass park one of my mates was saying they have played there once in 6 months and pitch is really soft and bumpy

not as if the kids get to use it anyway so wouldnt it be better if we had a facility that everyone could use
bud
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Sport » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:18 pm

smiles wrote:I am surprised Kintyre Park is being put forward, alot of history there. Won't this mean the town loses a good grass park if suitable?

Can we just re-iterate our campaign is for an All Weather Pitch for Campbeltown. Wherever that might be, has still to be agreed.

One of the fundamental problems the Council and Sport Scotland has with the current Outline Business Cases Project is the site of an AWP. Kintyre Park was raised as an option and will be investigated along with any other options there are.

Ourt campaign is about getting the Council to sit up and take notice of how important this is to our community. In the meantime the campaign group will continue to raise awareness on the the fact that we have no AWP in Campbeltown (or Kintyre for that matter (full size anyway)).
Sport
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Sport » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:47 am

Mary G wrote:Hi Sport

Was in the town last weekend, and it will be a few weeks before I am back, so will have difficulty getting my signature on the paper version any time soon.

Are you planning an on-line petition? There are some good free versions around (survey monkey, ipetition, epetitions, petitiononline, etc)

Cheers, M

Hi Mary,

Thanks for your support. Yes we are. Thanks for the suggestions we will look into these now and hopefully have something in place very soon. We submitted a request to Number 10 - http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/ - but were refused advising us to take the matter up with our local authority! Doh!!!!!!!! That is where the problem is!!!!

More soon.
Sport
Active Poster
Active Poster

All-weather football pitch

Postby joe_ruesgen » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:38 pm

Firstly, sorry for making a new post for this, but I couldn't find a specific thread to post on. It seems that every thread on football is relating back to the "AWP".

As many people know, I have been playing football in America for a couple of years and one summer I was back home and was playing in the summer league that was running at the time. We had a meeting to discuss several ideas and stuff and I suggested that they look into an all-weather playing facility as they have become increasing cheap and more popular...not to mention more efficient. The idea was immediately dismissed. This was about 4 years ago. It just seems to me that now everyone else is getting one the people of Campbeltown feel left out and now they want one now too. This is not a posting to say "I told you so", more a post to say that the people that are in charge and the ones that are capable of making these decision are obviously not committed to football in the area and are not willing to take the chance and put their necks out in the event that the idea does not come to fruition.

The cost for installing one of these pitches is not going to cost pennies, I understand that; however, once the field is put in place, they have an average lifespan of 30 years! This means that there is no further costs for cutting grass, lining fields, having to book the Victoria Hall for training, etc. as well as the fact teams are going to have to go months without getting to play. The only cost I am aware of is the replacing of the rubber pellets that support the artificial grass, which has to be done every 2 years. Playing in America has made me very aware of how far we are falling behind in Scotland (and in particular Campbeltown), and I strongly believe that the investment of this field would benefit not only footballers, but the town. Fields can be made multi-purpose too and can have lines painted for not only football, but hockey, rugby, as well as many other sports.

I strongly feel that the AWP is long overdue and I am glad that steps are being made to put one in place, I just hope that everyone sticks with it and follows through...the people of Campbeltown deserve it!

Also, can someone please provide me with the link to sign the online petition.
joe_ruesgen
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby smiles » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:12 pm

Is there any further update on this?
smiles
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Local News and Issues