Not playing fair! Campbeltown and Kintyre deserves better

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Re: Not playing fair! Campbeltown and Kintyre deserves better

Postby John S » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:03 pm

There have been two main avenues I have been pursuing regards the all weather pitch. First the councils school estate programme and second looking at a fresh location which would be more economically affordable.
The school estate, under which the development of the AWP now rests, has Campbeltown Grammar School as the councils number 1 priority and in the event of funding being identified for it’s replacement or refurbishment, a full set of playing facilities in line with Lochgilphead will be forthcoming. The up side of this is that The Scottish Government has announced a £800M programme to support Councils build or refurbish 55 new schools, the first 14 of which will be announced shortly. It is possible (but remotely) that CGS will be in that initial tranche.I have been raising this with the government and working with the School to make the case.
The fresh location was initially an idea which came from a meeting earlier in the year with various sports interests in the town but initial suggestions to look at Kintyre Park have been slow to progress and will no longer be ready for the council’s budget process next month, at which the case for funding would have to be made.

Facebook users can follow the progress of this on my Facebook Group - Councillor Semple's Facebook Casebook
John S
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Davie P » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:29 pm

"a full set of playing facilities in line with Lochgilphead will be forthcoming. "

John, I would sincerely hope that this is not the case. Feedback from Lochgilphead has been far from positive. Yes, they have a facility but not one that suits the communities needs.

I would hope a place the size of Campbeltown would not be in line with Lochgilphead but more like Dunoon, Oban and Helensburgh. Certainly all larger towns but in terms of our sporting needs they are similar.
Davie P
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:30 pm

what are they saying is wrong with the Lochgilphead set up?
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mags B » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:55 pm

It's a hockey surface, not really suitable for football at all, despite football being the main sport played on it. Nasty grazes when they fall on it, and rock hard (tarmac under the astroturf).
Mags B
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Davie P » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:16 pm

4th gen Suthen' wrote:what are they saying is wrong with the Lochgilphead set up?

The surface as a whole is terrible for football. No offical games could be played etc Not saying that we have to look at football alone but I do think if we were getting a new school we should have a full size pitch that is 3rd G or even 4th G and a smaller 2G surface for hockey etc

It is rather depressing to think it may be 2012, 2013 or beyond before we have such a facility in Campbeltown. This is a real sad of affairs for everyone. :( :oops:
Davie P
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby smiles » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:40 am

So no real progress then? Not surprised Kintyre Park might not be an option. Would be good to see more use of this park in general like days gone by.
smiles
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby John S » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:20 pm

Test bores on lower Kintyre Park will be complete by the end of the month.
John S
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Buzz Lightyear » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:37 pm

Since moving up to the Dundee area i have been amazed at the facilities that the schools have.

There is and has been lots of investment up here, some granted has been long overdue, but all the school large or small have at least 1/2 pitch or full pitch or indeed both built next to them when the school is being built. Also the larger schools have also a swimming pool included, these facilities are also offered to the general public after school hours to use, i sometimes wonder how good it would be for the kids in the town to have this available.
To infinity & beyond, & even at that do one!!!
Buzz Lightyear
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby John S » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:19 am

Updates on All Weather Pitch and Tesco's plans now on my facebook casebook. If you want to know about other issues please post a note on the discussion board there.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 687&ref=nf
John S
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby abbey craig » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:13 am

I`ve said it before and i`ll say it again,ive travelled the length and breadth of the western isles from Ullapool to Brodick and C/town is the only town that does not have AW facilities.And to think that we are going to accept we have to wait till 2012/13 for AWP is not on,The only chance we might have as it will prob be a labour parliament in Scotland by then and things might move a lot faster.
Last edited by abbey craig on Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
abbey craig
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby abbey craig » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:31 am

Not playing fair! Campbeltown and Kintyre deserves better
by Sport » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:29 am

As you can see this topic was started way back in March,and as smiles says on his post"no real progress"up till now thats 8 months and were no further forward.I take it the test bores are on the park beside the hospital and not kintyre park pupils home ground??
abbey craig
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:17 am

John S wrote:Updates on All Weather Pitch and Tesco's plans now on my facebook casebook. If you want to know about other issues please post a note on the discussion board there.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 687&ref=nf

John

Is there any chance you can post your updates on the AWP here too? We are keen to use the Kintyre Forum to raise awareness on this subject.

For our readers here is the latest update from Cllr Semple posted on Facebook

SportsScotland and Argyll & Bute Council are working on meeting the top priorities for sport in Argyll & bute which are identified as Campbeltown All Weather Pitch and Helensburgh Swimming Pool.
Should the test bores from Lower Kintyre Park be suitable then the business case for the All Weather Pitch will be resurrected and taken forward by The Councils Operational Services Dept.
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby chuckle » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:29 pm

It is hoped that a Mini Rugby group will be re-formed soon with the help of the Rugby Development Officer from Oban, an all weather pitch would make such a difference to the children. I would be happy to help with this campaign if anyone wants to contact me. :)
A Thank You and a Smile cost nothing but the gift is priceless.
chuckle
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Ship called Dignity » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:24 pm

If you really want to see Children in Need go to the Meadows tomorrow evening after 6pm...
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby smiles » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:33 am

John S wrote:Test bores on lower Kintyre Park will be complete by the end of the month.

John, any results?
smiles
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Local News and Issues