Town Hall Closure!!!

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Town Hall Closure!!!

Postby Save the town hall » Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:16 pm

What ever is the world coming to when our Town Hall is under threat!! The town hall is the centre of our town and should be our pride and joy - yet again under Council cuts we are told it may close!

Is Campbeltown turning in to a

Save our...

town!! :evil: [/img][/list]
Save the town hall

Toon 'all

Postby Mad Stella » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:13 am

I have a large box I save town halls in.
Can I have it when you are done with it?

I will hold it and pet it and ..................... :D
Mad Stella

Campbeltown's Historic Buildings

Postby sonofaslant » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:35 pm

The word on the street is that it is not just the Town Hall we need to save!
Add the Vic, Library and Christian Institute to the list and we might be getting closer to what the Council has in mind. Next time you see one of our local cooncillors why not chin them and ask what the specific long term plans are for each of these fine buildings? For starters, ask them what will happen to the museum artefacts come October!

PS Is it true that when the library moves to the swimming pool the librarians will have to have a life-saving qualification?
sonofaslant
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Read this if you care about Campbeltown!

Postby LO » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:01 pm

The latest rumour about the Town Hall is that it could be closed by the end of May. Aside from the scandal of the hall closing in the first place, it puts a giant spoke in the plans to expand the music festival as the T.H. was earmarked as the new Festival Club.

I don't know if this is tied in with the Yellow Book recommendations which are flagged up elsewhere or if this is part of a different agenda. (Read this posting as its not obvious from the title what it is about)

The world has indeed gone mad if we can lose such an important part of our cultural heritage on the whim of a few councillors who may not even have set foot in Campbletown.

Time to get the claymores out the thatch!

Les
LO
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Hoot?!

Postby Kintyre Lad » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:31 am

Anybody got an update on this? What is happening?

If the toon hall closes that is a fecking joke!!
Kintyre Lad
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby John S » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:35 am

I wonder how many groups use the town hall in a year? and where would they go if it was shut.
John S
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Town Hall

Postby Ship called Dignity » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:54 pm

We (CBAFC) use it every year for our Christmas Coffee Morning. It is a great facility (could be tarted up mind you) which is ideal for the likes of the Coffee Mornings etc..

I don't know where we would go - nowhere so handy. Would result in a lot of charities losing money...

Does anyone have an update on this? I heard there was to be a council meeting and this was on the agenda..
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Town hall sell off --- Hot from the corridors of power

Postby Mole » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:16 pm

Rumour in the staff canteen - Argyll & Bute councillors have met secretly with an organisation from here in Lochgilphead with a view to selling them your town hall for development. :cry:

:shock: What do you think of that Toonies? :wink:
Mole
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby The Scouder » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:31 pm

Does that mean that the other "secret" mission to hand the Town Hall over to a certain Argyll-wide voluntary organisation for their new HQ has fallen through?

While we're on the subject, what's the score with the Fish Ponds at Saddell Abbey?

For those of you who don't know, they date back to the 12th (?) Century and are listed as part of the Historic Monument that is Saddell Abbey. In other words, they are very important historic artefacts belonging to the Scottish nation.

Now there is a rumour going around that Argyll and Bute Council, egged on by a certain Councillor, is trying to do a deal to offload them to a resident in the village as he has claimed that they are on his land. If this is the case, it is not just a local but a national disgrace and should be stopped right now! :evil:
The Scouder
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Town Hall Closure/Threat to public buildings

Postby petewick » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:13 pm

It really disgusts me that faceless beareaucrats in Kilmory can dictate the future of so many fine buildings in Campbeltown.
A lot of these buildings were gifted to the people of the town by the benefactors of days gone by, Argyll and Bute council mere custodians.
Now that Campbeltowns fortunes appear to be taking a turn for the better, it is up to us to objectively question our elected representives about A&B councils' long term plans for the library, town hall and Christian institute.
Let's strike while iron's hot. :x
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LO » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:22 pm

Is the Town Hall actually the Council's to sell?
I understood that they were joint owners along with The Common Good Fund which ultimately means the people of Campbeltown. Have we ever been consulted about selling? If we have I must have missed it......
LO
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Town hall

Postby John S » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:25 pm

I think what we need is some transparency here folks - more rumours than a Campbeltown washhouse. I don't think its a secret that Argyll CVS have been in talks with local councillors about taking over the running of the hall but perhaps someone involved should up-front it. Maybe the courier can do us one of their famous question mark headlines?

Personally I think that any move to offload the town hall is wrong, it represents governance in the town and with a bit of imagination and community input could be a substantial building and resource again. The community council would seem the obvious body; perhaps Nancie can post her thoughts?

John
John S
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Town Hall

Postby Nancie » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:05 pm

The Town Hall is the most prominent building in the centre of town and it's looking very shabby. Like most other council owned buildings it's been allowed to fall into disrepair. There's no money for maintenance but plenty of money for some things. I strongly believe that no talks should take place without all stakeholders being involved and, if this is the case I am very disappointed that our councillors have gone along with it. The council has been saying for years that they want a 'Trust' to take over the Town Hall and maybe this is the first step.

There is a community council meeting in the Council Chambers this Monday 13 June at 7.30pm. This issue will be discussed and there is normally at least one councillor present. All very welcome (especially bubbly).

Nancie

And what about the museum? Is it going to be council offices?
Nancie
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

meeting

Postby bubbly jock » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:20 am

Nancie

Sorry to disappoint but on Mon I will be in a city where you can get a chicken sannie at 4am and a small pizza is the size of the lid on my compost bin. I am sure you'll manage without me

I am bubbly

Hope Tim H. gets thrashed. 6 love 6 love 6 love
bubbly jock

Return to Local News and Issues