Olympic Dreams

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Re: Olympic Dreams

Postby bakbjerg » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:04 am

And while we’re at it. Why equestrian :?:
The horse is doing most of the job, based on human training I know, but anyway. Especially dressage looks odd to me, whith the horse doing funny movements instead of just running.
OK, if you want the human and animal combination, but then why not sheepdogs as well or circus-elephants or … :?: :lol:
highlander wannabee
http://www.bakbjerg.com (private)
http://www.insu.biz (work)
bakbjerg
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:12 pm

The Australians are gutted that you're beating them in the medal haul. All the newspapers refer to Great Britain as arch-rivals. It's a rivalry I never knew existed, but now I'm happy it does. Get it right up them, maybe they'll stop going on about Stephanie Rice now, but I doubt it.
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bakbjerg » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:27 pm

Agree, it's very well done by the GB's. All the talk about the lottery money making a difference, but compared to the money China is putting into this prestige-project, the lottery money is probably peanuts, which makes it an even better performance. And if you on top of that compare the size of population ... :D
highlander wannabee
http://www.bakbjerg.com (private)
http://www.insu.biz (work)
bakbjerg
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Govangirl » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:34 am

Oh my, did you see that Jamaican, Bolt, run? It was soooooooo exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!! Actually, like a Lightning Bolt!! Oh dear, I sound like the Sun :shock: And he's only 22! Wow! He was also very humble afterwards. Pure sportsmanship.
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:46 am

Unbelievable scenes at the Taekwondo this morning. I don't know how Sarah Stevenson could have concentrated fully after that - quite extraordinary!
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:20 pm

It's the language that sometimes irritates. I can't stand the phrase 'Team GB' - where did that come from? And is it not geographically incorrect? Also, who started that annoying habit of changing nouns into verbs? To medal? The athletes are medalling? And an even worse one this morning - they were 'podiuming' What the .....? :?

Anyway, I read this morning about the ceremony to hand over to London for 2012. Boris has to take the flag from the Mayor of Bejing and they're going to have a London double decker bus with the number 2012 on it. Of course, Beckham is the representative of sport so he'll be figuring highly and they've got a new version of the anthem that has been passed by Her Majesty. BUT for me the highlight is a LIVE version of Led Zepp singing 'A Whole Lotta Love' How great is that? :D
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:47 pm

Govangirl wrote:It's the language that sometimes irritates. I can't stand the phrase 'Team GB' - where did that come from? And is it not geographically incorrect? Also, who started that annoying habit of changing nouns into verbs? To medal? The athletes are medalling? And an even worse one this morning - they were 'podiuming' What the .....? :?

Here we are foruming? You are indeed correct, GB as far as I understand, does not include Northern Ireland, which is as we know an important part of the UK, these are the initials that thould have been used. Wonder who came up with that one? :?
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Tosh » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:01 pm

EMDEE wrote:
Govangirl wrote:It's the language that sometimes irritates. I can't stand the phrase 'Team GB' - where did that come from? And is it not geographically incorrect? Also, who started that annoying habit of changing nouns into verbs? To medal? The athletes are medalling? And an even worse one this morning - they were 'podiuming' What the .....? :?

Here we are foruming? You are indeed correct, GB as far as I understand, does not include Northern Ireland, which is as we know an important part of the UK, these are the initials that thould have been used. Wonder who came up with that one? :?

According to the IOC competitors from Northern Island may represent either GB or Ireland. You have to remember that the way countries are recognized by the IOC is not necessarily the same as the way they are recognized politically .
Welcome...
Back to the circus...
Tosh
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Govangirl » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:29 pm

Mmmmmm, our 'national identity' is a strange one, is it not? Did people not want 'Team UK' then? GB doesn't make sense geographically or even nationalistically athough it sounds better, doesn't it? Still, Isle of Man, etc. are not in the UK either..... do we have any athletes from there?
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Tosh » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:35 pm

Govangirl wrote:Mmmmmm, our 'national identity' is a strange one, is it not? Did people not want 'Team UK' then? GB doesn't make sense geographically or even nationalistically athough it sounds better, doesn't it? Still, Isle of Man, etc. are not in the UK either..... do we have any athletes from there?

It's actually the 'Team' prefix that irritates me,
Welcome...
Back to the circus...
Tosh
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby bill » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:33 am

I believe there is at least one Manx competitor in "Team GB", which are not part of the UK. It would need to be "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland with the Crown Dependencies". A bit of a mouthful!
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:04 pm

I think I heard that Alex Salmond wants a separate Scottish team at the London Olympics?
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:23 pm

EMDEE wrote:I think I heard that Alex Salmond wants a separate Scottish team at the London Olympics?

I think I heard he did'nt mind Mrs Thatcher's economic policies?
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:37 am

Tosh wrote:It's actually the 'Team' prefix that irritates me,

Aye, that's what I meant and got off it - you're right, it is so irritating.

Govangirl wrote:BUT[/b][/color] for me the highlight is a LIVE version of Led Zepp singing 'A Whole Lotta Love' How great is that? :D

Well, it wasn't quite LZ but Jimmy was great, even if he's sold out a wee bit. He's got a pension to build :lol: I really enjoyed the closing ceremony and I don't know what I'm going to do every day this week without the Games.

Well, actually, all the ironing, cleaning, dusting, hoovering and washing that's been neglected because I've been watching them.......... :oops:
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Tosh » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:05 pm

Who was the woman that was singing it? she was introduced as a British superstar but I missed her name and didn't recognize her, didn't rate here singing either. Looked pretty much like it was mimed too if it was then shame on you Sir Jimmy of Page !
Welcome...
Back to the circus...
Tosh
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Sport Chit Chat