England 2018

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

England 2018

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:01 pm

Do you hope our neighbours win the bid to host the World Cup in 2018? :D
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: England 2018

Postby Ship called Dignity » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:29 pm

I really hope England get the World Cup. I went to Euro 96 and it was great to be so close.

Also, in the unlikely event that Scotland don't qualify (aye, right) it would be good to take in some World Cup games without spending a fortune to attend.
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DENIS.THE.TRUE.MANC. » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:43 pm

Yes, I hope England get the World Cup, but what an absolute farce the whole bid process is !
DENIS.THE.TRUE.MANC.
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Bobh » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:14 pm

Yes
Bobh
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ship called Dignity » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:05 pm

What an absolute joke. Russia in 2018 and Qatar in 2022. Do these fecking idiots ever think about the fans? :shock:
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:43 pm

Loved this quote I read on a post in Facebook

Id love it if King Billy comes out and proclaims "Now that we dont need to lick arse anymore we expect a full international enquiery into all FIFA exectives and their finances." That would make the front pages.

:lol: :lol: Would be great if he did!
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

England 2018

Postby EMDEE » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:23 pm

Athough I couldn't care less about football, I find it very puzzling that England's bid for the 2018 World Cup did so badly in the voting process. Whatever our international rivalries within the UK, England would have been well able to make a good job of staging this event. (No doubt financed in part by taxpayers money from the other consituent countries within the UK)

Knocked out at the first round and achieving a mere 2 votes out of 22 is a bit odd. Have the goalposts shfted within FIFA? (forgive the pun)

Did they find the three high profile representatives to be a pain in the erse?

On the other hand, is England really that unpopular internationally, and would it have been better to have been a UK application?

:? :?
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:33 pm

The laws of Qatar tolerate alcohol to a certain extent. However, the few bars and nightclubs in Qatar operate only in expensive hotels and clubs. Under Qatar's Sharia, it is illegal to show alcohol or be drunk in public.

Could be trouble ahead for the traveling supporters of certain countries who qualify. :lol:
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:34 pm

EMDEE wrote:
On the other hand, is England really that unpopular internationally ?

YES
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:24 am

bill wrote:
EMDEE wrote:
On the other hand, is England really that unpopular internationally ?

YES

Why should that be? :?
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby paulmcw » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:13 am

Englands shock horror that the world doesn't love them is actualy quite amusing! :lol:

Delighted my tax will not be spent on the England world cup after it has been spent on the London Olympics!
paulmcw
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby The Insider » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:40 pm

Bill

You, like me, have obviously been to Qatar.

I was there for the Moto GP, it is exactly as you say regarding alcohol, I am truely astounded (well within reason) that they were awarded it the World Cup, they have no footballing history whatsoever, the place is tiny and there is nowhere to go to enjoy yourself if your Western, you and I understand that they are actually quite liberal compared to their ruthless Saudi neighbours.

The World Cup is mean't to be a global celebration of the beautiful game, it's all about dressing up in your national colours and having a fantastic time with a few drinks, that is NOT Qatar or anywhere in the Middle East.

The whole FIFA voting system is totaly corrupt and long past requiring a comprehensive overhaul, the bribery is rife, so much so that the whole affair is an embarrassing global sham.

I've lived in England almost thirty years, we had a fabulous time here in the Northwest when it was Euro 96, the country could host a World Cup this weekend at the drop of a hat, it has the fans, the stadia, the infrastructure and the passion.

If you followed the bid and the final presentation then you would have seen that it was not only the most financially viable, but the overall best bid in terms of progressing grassroots and community football on a global scale, the fact that England was NOT awarded it proves that FIFA has NO interest in the development of the game for the benifit of the mass population per-say, they are ALL about who will line their wallets, it's pathetic and needs addressing ASAP.

I will be in Brazil in 2014, I have great friends there, the country eats, sleeps and breathes the game, the people are super friendly, the girls are stunning, the food is amazing anf the weather is fab, compare that with going to Russia (been there several times) where they are VERY unfriendly, the first answer to any question is NO and the Mafia control EVERYTHING from bars to hotels, they will run the whole tournament and make tens of millions, it will be challenging and for the nieve traveller, a minefield.

Follow that by going to that poxy little desert landmass of Saudi Arabi where (in certain circumstances) you can get arrested for speaking to a single female......NO CONTEST.

Brazil and England or Russia and Qatar, you choose.......NO CONTEST.

See you all in Rio.

TI
We're here for a good time, NOT a long time, so keep it lit and never quite.
The Insider
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby ionnsaigh » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:42 pm

It's too close to call. :D
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby abbey craig » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:53 pm

The russians will do a great job hosting the world cup,stadiums built on time and within budget.If England got to host it you can guarantee they`d be over budget ( London olympics 300 million over budget already,which us the taxpayer are paying for),and plenty of jobs for the boys ie Beckham,Charlton etc etc,poncing of it for the next 8 years.

Concerning the fans, russia and neighbouring countries have a population of many many millions so excellent for theyre fans,not so good for us travelling but thats life,once we get a few voddies doon wir necks who cares :lol: :lol:
abbey craig
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:37 pm

The Insider wrote:I will be in Brazil in 2014, I have great friends there, the country eats, sleeps and breathes the game, the people are super friendly, the girls are stunning, the food is amazing anf the weather is fab, TI

Hmmmmm, if you plan it so that it falls in the sunny month, you could get all that in Scotland.

The Insider wrote:Brazil and England or Russia and Qatar, you choose.......NO CONTEST.

See you all in Rio.

TI

Brazil and Scotland or Russia and Qatar..............NO CONTEST.

See you all in Govan :lol:
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Sport Chit Chat