George Burley in America

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

George Burley in America

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:26 am

"By my reckoning, George Burley has had only 13 days with his players since landing the Scotland job on January 24 - four at a get-together in February, four for the Croatia friendly in March, five in the Czech Republic last month. That's not much in terms of active front line service with the troops.

Obviously a Scotland manager can do other things to fill his time. There are club games to watch. Checks must be done on players who might be worth a cap. There are opponents to study. Those plants in the office need watering.

But there is no getting away from it: international management involves endless down time. The gaffer has plenty time to take his holidays. So, er, why's George in America now? Wouldn't it be more rewarding and frankly reassuring if he was watching and networking at Euro 2008?
I sympathise though. Qualifying opponents the Netherlands stand between Scotland and the next World Cup. Burley has been trying to relax while getting second-hand information on the Dutch, and, by God, they've gone to work this month."

I cut and pasted that from the Sunday Herald.......it IS worrying.......why is he not watching the games first hand?
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: George Burley in America

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:46 am

Terry Butcher or someone else will be watching the games.
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Wee Toon Ajax » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:48 pm

What an utter and complete non-story by the journalist and not you 4th Gen - do journalists ever employ their brains before writing. We have 4 other opponents in the 2010 World Cup qualifiers - only one whom are playing at the 2008 European Championships, the Netherlands.

Now our first game against the Dutch is in March 2009 - which according to my CGS education is a full 9 months away. In that 9 months the Dutch may or may not be European Champs but something will have happened of far more importance - they will have changed their manager and also played 3 of their qualifying games - 1 at home and 2 away. These 9 months àfter the departure of Van Basten will be far of more importance than what is happening in the Championships.

I bet the Italians and Franch watched the Dutch prior to the Championships and I can assure you what they watched in the games leading up to the Championships and in their qualifying rounds is far different to the way Dutch are playing - not only has it stunned Europe but also the whole Dutch nation and even the players themselves.

Weak lazy crap stirring journaism.

PS I am sure Davie Weir will pass on info to George - met him coming out of the game on Friday night along with his 2 kids
If, after all, men cannot always make history have meaning, they can always act so that their own lives have one.

Camus
Wee Toon Ajax
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Trapper » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:48 pm

He can pass info on if he wants, but he cannae pass a ball! As long as he doesn't get a game!
Trapper
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Campbell A » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:10 pm

Probably right enough WTA although it would be encouraging in an "at least he's seeing something of our opponents and proving he is alive" type stylie. For teams who don't regularly qualify for the finals of major tournaments the managers job is becoming extremely hands off which makes the negative comments regarding friendlies and get togethers all the more unhelpful.

Roll on the qualifiers
Campbell A
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Return to Sport Chit Chat