Olympic Dreams

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Olympic Dreams

Postby Tom B » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:40 pm

Watched the first of these profile programmes tonight, great stuff - looking forward to seeing Tom the 14 year old diver, and the rowers taking part in Beijing. A shame the heptathlete had to drop out through injury - what a blow after all that training - will look through some of the other programmes on iPlayer if I get a chance..... I liked seeing these folks coming and going, unaffected, normal folks (but with a very special talent) with normal families from all around the country, dreaming of getting to the very top of their sport - that should be what the olympics should be about.

For London 2012, I think all sports that have a bigger stage outside the olympics should be dropped - so no Tennis (Wimbledon/US/French Open are bigger), no Football (World Cup is THE event) - what fun is there going to be in whether Andy Murray wins gold at the Olympics? I want him to win Wimbledon, and everywhere else, but for the Olympics, what's the point?
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Olympic Dreams

Postby Ship called Dignity » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:09 am

Tom B wrote:For London 2012, I think all sports that have a bigger stage outside the olympics should be dropped - so no Tennis (Wimbledon/US/French Open are bigger), no Football (World Cup is THE event) - what fun is there going to be in whether Andy Murray wins gold at the Olympics? I want him to win Wimbledon, and everywhere else, but for the Olympics, what's the point?

I agree - especially the football.

Amazing how the press make stories outof nothing (and the MPs!)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tay ... 541642.stm

Back to the start of the post. Hoy for gold! 8)
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:10 am

My sister-in-law from Paisley leaves for Bejing next Thursday. She's a past Commonwealth Games Scotland Synchronised Swimming Team winner and is going out as a volunteer marshall and general helper for her sport.
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Robbie Rotten » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:06 pm

Govangirl wrote:She's a past Commonwealth Games Scotland Synchronised Swimming Team winner and is going out as a volunteer marshall and general helper for her sport.

I asked my good friend Sportafake and he says Scotland has never won a medal at Synchronised Swimming thingy.

She's been telling you fibs.
Robbie Rotten
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby bill » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:19 pm

Tom B wrote:
For London 2012, I think all sports that have a bigger stage outside the olympics should be dropped - so no Tennis (Wimbledon/US/French Open are bigger), no Football (World Cup is THE event) - what fun is there going to be in whether Andy Murray wins gold at the Olympics? I want him to win Wimbledon, and everywhere else, but for the Olympics, what's the point?

Totally agree with you Tom,the way things are going we will soon have a f1 grand prix included.

Track/field..swimming/diving and gymnastics.

No cycling or yachting or equestrian or boxing or archery etc.
Last edited by bill on Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:30 pm

Robbie Rotten wrote:I asked my good friend Sportafake and he says Scotland has never won a medal at Synchronised Swimming thingy.

She's been telling you fibs.

I really need to check my posts for absolute accuracy before I post so I don't get this continual sniping! Still, you made a change from Bill! (Yes, it's very tiring!) :evil:

I meant that she is a winner in her sport (Scottish National Champion in the 80s) and has taken part in the Commonwealth Games several times. I apologise for my mistake and will now go and flog myself with barbed wire.
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby king of kilcousland » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:20 pm

Hooooorrrrrrraaaaa opening ceromony!
How many mothers to cry?
How many sons have to die?
How many missions left to fly over palestine?
king of kilcousland
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Mary G » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:55 am

Tom B wrote:For London 2012, I think all sports that have a bigger stage outside the olympics should be dropped - so no Tennis (Wimbledon/US/French Open are bigger), no Football (World Cup is THE event) - what fun is there going to be in whether Andy Murray wins gold at the Olympics? I want him to win Wimbledon, and everywhere else, but for the Olympics, what's the point?

Too late, Tom! All the sports have already been chosen for London. Provisional lists go into the considerations on selecting a city, then they are finalised pretty soon after - as I recall things. They need to know early, to get the right facilities built. And so that athletes can prepare with clear targets.

But even this year 'cycling' covers so many 'sub'-sports - road racing, track/ velodrome events, BMX and mountain bike. Final list for 2012 is (no F1, Bill will be glad to note!):

Aquatics
Archery
Athletics
Badminton
Basketball
Boxing
Canoe and Kayak
Cycling
Equestrian
Fencing
Football
Gymnastics
Handball
Hockey
Judo
Modern Pentathlon
Rowing
Sailing
Shooting
Table Tennis
Taekwondo
Tennis
Triathlon
Volleyball
Weightlifting
Wrestling

And the Paralympic events are:

Boccia
Football Five-a-side
Football Seven-a-side
Goalball
Paralympic Archery
Paralympic Athletics
Paralympic Cycling
Paralympic Equestrian
Paralympic Judo
Paralympic Powerlifting
Paralympic Rowing
Paralympic Sailing
Paralympic Shooting
Paralympic Swimming
Paralympic Table Tennis
Volleyball (sitting)
Wheelchair Basketball
Wheelchair Fencing
Wheelchair Rugby
Wheelchair Tennis
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:35 am

Tom B wrote:(World Cup is THE event)

That's like saying Pizza is the best food, let's do away with sausages. The football olympics is unique because of the set-up, and the only reason it's treated with disdain in Britain is because you don't have a team eligible to compete in it. Samuel Eto'o and Carlos Tevez are both big stars now who made their names in the Olympic tournaments. As for what's the point? What's the point of getting out of bed in the morning, you're only going to get back in it at night. Just because you don't agree with something doesn't make it wrong. Olympic football is rated very highly in Argentina.
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:22 am

Well done Horse, you might be young but you talk sense!!!!!
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby joe_ruesgen » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:23 pm

No, no, he is not young. His wisdom matches his years.

...and the Olympics are only highly regarded in Argentina because it's the only thing they get close to winning.
joe_ruesgen
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:29 pm

I think that football should NOT be an Olympic sport.
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby joe_ruesgen » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:09 am

4th Gen;
Just curious as to why you think that football should not be in the Olympics.

Surely the fact it is the most popular sport in the world and generates some of the most interest in the Olympics should merit it being part of the games.
joe_ruesgen
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby joe_ruesgen » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:15 am

What I love most about the Olympics right now is that world leaders such as George Bush and Vladimir Putin can find the time to come and watch the games even when their countries are at war.

I even heard them say on ESPN that George Bush has asked the forces in Georgia to ceasefire while the games are going on...does this man get any dumber?

Just watched Michael Phelps destroy the previous world record in the 400 medley, why are we not producing swimmers of his class? I think that as athletes we are just less talented than the U.S.
joe_ruesgen
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby bill » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:00 am

[quote="bill
Totally agree with you Tom,the way things are going we will soon have a f1 grand prix included.
[/quote]

Might have to eat my words :shock:

Report in yesterdays paper that Bernie Ecclestone is infact in Beijing as a guest of I.O.C.President Jacques Rogge. :o

Congratulations to Daniel Keating from Corby. 8)

Louis Smith, 19, and Daniel Keating, 17, qualified for finals on their Olympic debuts and their coach Paul Hall was ecstatic. 'We've made history and it's just wonderful.'

There has not been a male British gymnast in an Olympic final since the men's team finished fifth in 1920. The achievement is all the more astounding when given the age and inexperience of two of the youngest gymnasts in the competition. Keating is the youngest gymnast in Beijing, and still competes in junior events.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Sport Chit Chat