Is winning everything?

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Is winning everything?

Postby Tom B » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:26 am

I remember watching a football match a couple of years ago - can't remember who it was - when even though the ball crossed the line for a goal, the goalie managed to pull it back across the line, and fooled the referee into thinking it wasn't a goal - despite the fact it could be seen crossing the line on tv, and all the crowd at one end, could see it was a goal. If there is so much money in professional sport now that 'sportsmanship' has to go out the window for economic gain, is it still sport?
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Is winning everything?

Postby Govangirl » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:01 am

Tom, my favoured sport is Formula One and I think there are enough examples in the Grand Prix to show the meaning of true sportsmanship: the death of Roger Williamson and how bravely his friend tried to save him, James Hunt dragging a driver from his burning car and Niki Lauda being saved in that terrible crash. In fact, I'm sure a driver got some kind of bravery medal for the latter.

And no-one has been braver than Sir Jackie (my hero) in advocating for better safety standards,even at the expense of winning. So I would say that with real sporting figures, winning isn't everything. :D
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:29 am

The game might have been Man Utd vs Spurs when Pedro Mendes lobbed from about the halfway line and Roy Carroll struggled to keep it out, and infact did not, but no goal was given. Then again, it might not have been.
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mary G » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:40 am

George Orwell wrote on this subject:

Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war minus the shooting.

I may not agree, completely at any rate, but given that he died in 1950 what we are witnessing now is not a new phenomenon. As the Romans would testify :-)
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Ship called Dignity » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:56 am

Tom B wrote:I remember watching a football match a couple of years ago - can't remember who it was - when even though the ball crossed the line for a goal, the goalie managed to pull it back across the line, and fooled the referee into thinking it wasn't a goal - despite the fact it could be seen crossing the line on tv, and all the crowd at one end, could see it was a goal. If there is so much money in professional sport now that 'sportsmanship' has to go out the window for economic gain, is it still sport?

Isn't that just sport? It happens at all levels of sport and in this particular reference football. If you could get away with kicking the ball from behind the line in an amateur game you would - it is just instinct and if you got away with it you are hardly going to say to the ref.

I like the fact that football hasn't went down the road of using TV evidence - it all adds to the drama and sport.
8)
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:49 pm

Govangirl wrote:Tom, my favoured sport is Formula One and I think there are enough examples in the Grand Prix to show the meaning of true sportsmanship:

Off the top of my head I can recall Schumacher intentionally taking out Damon Hill in the last race of whichever year it was....McLaren spy scandal from last year.....Schumacher(again) being stripped of pole position after stopping his car on the track during final practice to hinder Alonso.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:56 pm

Yeah but I didn't say there were no examples of bad sportsmanship - not with the likes of Schumacher anyway. :evil: Just that I think there are enough examples in it of what's good about sport. Perhaps there are no examples of Jackie Stewart any more nowadays but I'd like to think so anyway.

If you don't like examples of Formula One then how about the Scot, Eric Liddell?

Both these men have shown that there is more than winning a gold medal or a world championship. I'm trying to be optimistic here - perhaps your glass is half empty Bill. :roll:
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:32 pm

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:

thou anointest my head with oil;

my cup runneth over.

....................................................................................

My cup is never half empty, neither is my cup ever half full.
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby hugh » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:42 pm

How about snooker? Do they still call their own fouls?
My cup is either half-empty or half-full, depends whether it's your round or mine.
hugh
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby bill » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:47 pm

hugh wrote:How about snooker? Do they still call their own fouls?
My cup is either half-empty or half-full, depends whether it's your round or mine.

I would say golf has to be the most sporting .
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby hugh » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:04 pm

Can't argue with that, Bill, it does seem pretty civilised. Maybe that's why it's so boring?

Let me qualify that before I get slaughtered. It may be interesting to play (never appealed to me), but to watch? It's just ahead of the test card for tedium. And those commentators? They make cricket sound exciting.
hugh
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby peenkles21 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:46 am

Sport is about winning, though you tend not to get the respect of the majority of fans unless you can show a great deal of sportsmanship also.
Zinedine Zidane, who remarked the following after Makélélé' was sold and Beckham was bought:
Why put another layer of gold paint on the Bentley when you are losing the entire engine?
peenkles21
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:23 am

Respect doesn't buy you any potatoes at dinner time though, does it?
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby peenkles21 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:34 am

Nope, it doesnt. Thats why i said sport is about winning.

Sport is about winning,

see i said that.
Zinedine Zidane, who remarked the following after Makélélé' was sold and Beckham was bought:
Why put another layer of gold paint on the Bentley when you are losing the entire engine?
peenkles21
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:55 pm

You should probably buy your potatoes before dinner time though, be prepared and all that jazz.
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Sport Chit Chat