So celtic were the only team not to have a minutes silence

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Re: So celtic were the only team not to have a minutes silence

Postby The Hitman » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:16 pm

Hume,

If clubs can't hounour the dead in time honoured tradition due to their moronic fans then it's a sad day.

The minority ruling the majority is something which should never happen, especially when honouring the people who fought and died for the world we now find ourselves in. Be it Celtic/Rangers/Wigan/Liverpool/Ipswich Town or Rushden and Diamonds.

We shouldn't bow to the parasites and give them more time than they ever deserve.

By giving them an inch, they will soon be taking a mile.
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?
The Hitman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Hume » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:27 pm

Hitman, I don't think anyone would be able to pick fault with you there in what you say.

I've been listening to / reading other debates on this issue and they smack of petty Old Firm jibery and animosity where people do not have the inclination to form their own opinion and instead let the colour of their team's shirt do it for them.

Standing back from that I can see you are not in this position.
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby The modfather » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:08 pm

Hume wrote:Hitman, I don't think anyone would be able to pick fault with you there in what you say.

I've been listening to / reading other debates on this issue and they smack of petty Old Firm jibery and animosity where people do not have the inclination to form their own opinion and instead let the colour of their team's shirt do it for them.

Standing back from that I can see you are not in this position.

Exactly the type of reply that i expected from you

Fair enough, you do not support either of the "old firm". However,You don't need to step back to see the hypocracy.If it was stoke-wigan, then yes this thread would have been started. If it had been the team i support who had clapped, the thread would have been started, The thread was started as you would expect such a high profile team ( and the uefa 2003 prizewinners for the best fans in the whole of europe) to show their respects in the same manner as everyone else. No ulterior motives, no point scoring, just a simple point.

You also say that if celtic had a silence, and it was ruined, people would also be complaining. At least if they had their 23 seconds of silence ( think that was how long the last one they had lasted, for the queen mother) they would be able to catch those who disrupted it, with the advances of modern technoloogy, Instead of giving those who wanted to protest a playground to do so.

As for sheiks comment about SFL teams not having silence, it really goes to show how wrong i have been. I apologise that i did not post about the bigots at the annan vs montrose game who didnt stand in silence. Two super powers of the scottish game who refused to show their respects. :roll: Them montrose fans have a lot to answer for protesting outside the stadium.
The modfather
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby the ringmaster » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:23 pm

Any idiot who can't show respect for a minutes silence regardless of who its for is a total numpty but rather than pander to them by not having the silence have it and zoom in on there faces , show them on the telly , print them in all there glory in the papers and name and shame them .
the ringmaster
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:20 pm

The modfather wrote:As for sheiks comment about SFL teams not having silence, it really goes to show how wrong i have been. I apologise that i did not post about the bigots at the annan vs montrose game who didnt stand in silence. Two super powers of the scottish game who refused to show their respects. :roll:

Modfather - the point I was trying to make is you thought it was an 'outrage' and a 'scandal' that Celtic chose to actually commemorate by applause. I would have thought that you would have been more outraged and more scandalised by teams *not* showing any form of commemoration, and just ignoring the event - however this seems not to be the case? Were you as outraged about it not being observed at Murrayfield, or the Joe Calzaghe fight?

Whether you like it or not, your failure to criticise those who chose not to commemorate it, means that your post appears nothing more than petty point scoring. Similar to my Nazi salute jibe.

the ringmaster wrote:......... but rather than pander to them by not having the silence have it and zoom in on there faces , show them on the telly , print them in all there glory in the papers and name and shame them .

Ringmaster - the point here is that these people would NOT be ashamed. If you put these guys on the front page of the paper - it would be a badge of honour for them for staging a protest against the British Army. The fact is they have firm beliefs that are at total odds to what you and I believe in, they would see this as some form of victory. It comes back to my point about we are asking people who have come along to a football match to show their appreciation and respect for something that they personally have only loathing for. It really doesn't matter how we try to rationalise this, these are the extreme element of Celtic support, they will not be shamed into thinking - "aye you're right, I'm proud the British Army did this and that ......"

Get this as well - this particular element of the support believes that John Reid is "guilty of wrapping our beloved club in a Union Jack" :shock: Just show's you how they think!!!!
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby The Hitman » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:31 pm

Sheik Yir Erse wrote: If you put these guys on the front page of the paper - it would be a badge of honour for them for staging a protest against the British Army. The fact is they have firm beliefs that are at total odds to what you and I believe in, they would see this as some form of victory.

Surely by pandering to them they have already scored a victory, and I don't go with the fact that if they were to be shown in the papers/television that they would be proud of it. These people will have jobs, and what employer/prospective employer will want to employ a well publicised bigot, jeering at the death of (probably) their fellow countrymen/relations?

Is that the sort of people you want representing your company? By giving them a blanket of applause, they will merely get away with it time and again

Time to weed them - out one by one if necessary.
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?
The Hitman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:48 pm

Hitman - I hear what you're saying, and I have a fair amount of sympathy for it, but I think we're going to have to agree to disagree. Having seen some of the stuff that C.A.I. and the Green Brigade openly come out with, I firmly believe these guys are beyond shame. I don't have much more to add on this one I'm afraid.
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:05 am

The Hitman wrote: These people will have jobs, and what employer/prospective employer will want to employ a well publicised bigot, jeering at the death of (probably) their fellow countrymen/relations?

Pretty sure you can't sack someone just because you don't agree with their political or religious viewpoints. That'll be discrimination and that's bad.
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby paulmcw » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:19 am

What a completeand utter rubbish link!!! Hume is right in in saying its just Old firm nonsense going on here! and thats just giving the benefit of the doubt,. I've read nothing but garbage here.

1) Big world here, thankfully we don't all think the same! (Royal death , lets say in spain. Barcalona?)
2) The minutes applaus is open to all clubs if they would like, so no specail treatment. Aberdeen Rangers could have done it.
3) You can't ban anyone for having their view? If thats their view fair enough. You have your own.

Complete tit for tat, but it is rare opertunity for the Rangers fans to try and point the finger at celtic on the fan front! Well, they've got a long long way to go on that. Just about as long as the insurance bill coming from Manchester.

Celtic could have done nothing right here, it was a situation that has nothing to do with football. and because of the clubs history there will be folk, who pay money that did'nt agree with it, as you all know alot are from R.O.I. But just think back to when the pope died?? (Ach,, thats Different), well its not! But, due to Rangers, and their history, they did'nt agree with it. Fair enough!

Can someone please pick up the toys here!
paulmcw
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Hume » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:42 pm

The modfather wrote: If it had been the team i support who had clapped, the thread would have been started,

that's fine modfather, I'll have to accept your word on that. But I must have missed the threads you started when Rangers fans went to town in Manchester and when they were observed on camera giving Nazi salutes in Spain.

I'm sure you are not saying that these events are acceptable but you didn't come on and start a thread about how you thought it was an outrage and a scandal, yet you'll come on and have a pop at Celtic when they have applause rather than a silence on armistice weekend.

Could that be because it was your own club that were involved and not your biggest rival? I'll stick with my theroy of petty point scoring...
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby dr-sanchez » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:22 pm

I agree with Sheik in that they should be kept for people associated with football and members of the Royal Family.

to have a minutes silence dedicated to people associated with football is obviously fair enough, and i 100% support that, but for members of the royal family? come on, why would we respect such a pointless, backward and feudal insitution? not really anything to do with the main point but the mention of the royal family with a tone suggesting that they're somewhat "important" was kind of beyond me.
You again, you b*****d!
dr-sanchez
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:24 am

dr-sanchez wrote:pointless.

I'm not a Monarchist by any means, but you'd be surprised by how much tourist money they bring into the country.
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby The modfather » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:27 pm

Hume wrote:
The modfather wrote: If it had been the team i support who had clapped, the thread would have been started,

that's fine modfather, I'll have to accept your word on that. But I must have missed the threads you started when Rangers fans went to town in Manchester and when they were observed on camera giving Nazi salutes in Spain.

I'm sure you are not saying that these events are acceptable but you didn't come on and start a thread about how you thought it was an outrage and a scandal, yet you'll come on and have a pop at Celtic when they have applause rather than a silence on armistice weekend.

Could that be because it was your own club that were involved and not your biggest rival? I'll stick with my theroy of petty point scoring...

There is an arsehole element to all support as im sure you know. Following your logic, as rangers fans are nazis and because apparently we "went to town" in manchester i cannot say anything about celtic fans....

Don't suppose your supporters sing songs about the ibrox disaster, davie cooper and ian durrant?
The modfather
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:23 pm

I see it's that time of year again :?

Thought I'd bump this up, as it was a reasonably interesting thread 2 years ago (and before someone starts another very similar one this year)

PS. It's worth starting at the beginning, and not at the previous post. :roll:
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:17 pm

The British Army committed terrible war crimes in Ireland - would you expect the victims families, to honour them ?
It's a bit like asking the survivors of 9-11, to hold a minutes silence, for dead Muslims at Ground Zero.
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Sport Chit Chat