Paul Le Guen At Rangers/Scottish Mentality

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Paul Le Guen At Rangers/Scottish Mentality

Postby The modfather » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:31 am

Just a little more than 2 year on, since the "worst rangers manager in history"(quote from some form on tabloid, not me) left ibrox, it is remarkable to see how many people are turning round and saying that infact, what if PLG was right?

Between the space of time where he it confirmed as manager in 2006, untilthe time he a mere 200 days later, alot can be said about monsieur le guen's tenure at ibrox, however one thing that he can not be accused of is taking any prisoners. He banned all junk food, banned all alcohol, banned music and banned tackling in training. Harsh it may seem , but this was a man who was here for no holiday. He was here for glory.

But try telling that to the boys. The lads won't put up with that. "its big boydy's turn to get the rolls the day gaffer, ye wanted sauce on yours?" wouldn't seem out of place with the current regime at ibrox. A spineless tactically inept dinosaur of a manager, a chairman who has lost all interest and is prepared to sit and watch the club fall into a greater decline and a load of " the lads".

Here is a quote from Kevin Thomson about training at rangers:

"Every morning we all meet up, the place is jumping and the banter is flying in the changing room. Everyone is cracking jokes and having a laugh.

"Then the boys put on their boots and head outside and suddenly everything is quiet again. At 20 to 10 MurrayPark is like a school playground. At quarter to 10 it's more like a library."

Yet school is out by 11.45. PLG asked the players to come in for double sessions. Too much like hard work for some. Interesting to compare and contrast le guen's ways at PSG to those at rangers. He took over at PSG, had a nightmare start trying to impose his ways, finnished 16th in the league. Where are they now? Sitting at the top of the french league.

Under Murray at Rangers, We truely are a case of "jobs for the boys"
The modfather
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Paul Le Guen At Rangers/Scottish Mentality

Postby £3.73 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:53 pm

Football these days is more and more driven by the pundits. Regardless of whether there's anything going on, they have to fill their newspaper columns and radio shows with something. Molehills become mountains. A lot of fans are buying into this. Also everone who's ever played FIFA 09 or any other management sim is also now an "expert" tactician. (maybe Electronic Arts should consider throwing in free SFA coaching badges with the next release)

It's almost comedy. One week a team may be doing well, the fans are ecstatic ... one bad result later ... the manager has to go, sack the chairman, sack the board.

I was very much in the minority that thought Le Guen (who was by no means perfect) was treated shockingly, and should have been encouraged to stay longer.

Then again, I was also in the minority when it came to Alex McLeish. He had a difficult re-structuring job to do (with no money), which he did very well. Unfortunately he was on a rolling 90 minute contract with the fans (as he wasn't a "Ranger's man"). Strachan has the exact same problem over at Celtic Park. There's a sizeable number of Celtic fans never wanted him there from day one, despite anything he achieves.

Smith and McCoist are both worthy of their "legend" status. However, their achievments during their glory years may well end up being overshadowed by what happens in their second spell. That would be a great shame.

Strange days indeed.

Either PLG wasn't the exciting young prodigy we were led to believe, or his departure will hurt Rangers in the longer term.
most days I feel like Gene Hackman in the Poseidon Adventure
£3.73
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: Paul Le Guen At Rangers/Scottish Mentality

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:57 pm

I would agree as well. The whole Le Guen sacking now looks to reflect badly on Rangers as he was hired as a long-term appointment, with a serious overhaul on his hands. Christmas does not constitute long-term. Now, I'm by no means an ardent supporter of Le Guen and in previous posts I've stated that I felt he was somewhat over-hyped when he arrived, but surely the ideas he was expressing were more in keeping with the good of the club than Ferguson's 'I like pints' mentality. Surely these people could see that there was a reason the continentals are so much better than the Scottish players. I seriously doubt that they have such drinking sessions in England anymore either, although the self-promotion of the EPL is ludicrous. It may have four of the best teams in Europe but the rest are rubbish. (Seeing as how none of them can get too far in the UEFA Cup).
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Sport Chit Chat