Formula One

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Re: Formula One

Postby Frosty » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:12 pm

Such a terrible tragedy, he is being monitored, while in a coma, at a very low temperature to ensure his body can have the best chance to aid his recovery.
After all he has ''walked away from'' during his F1 career and so soon after his retirmemnt form the sport!
His fitness has always been at the highest level, let's hope that this will give him a huge chance of a recovery.

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:32 pm

Yes Frosty, I think it's right that this is looked at in the context of him being a racing driver. Apart from his fitness level and also his mental strength he obviously loves the rush of adrenaline and the need for speed. And as you point out, there is the record he has for escaping near-death experiences. In the newspaper today there were discussions between doctors and what was frightening was the possibility of future brain damage. We can only hope for the best :(
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby The Insider » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:04 am

Hi guys,

I've been out of the picture over the winter but I am currently at the Jerez Test with Force India.

When I get home next week I'll take the time to tell you what's going on with the new cars, to be honest I was a little speechless when I saw the technology and how complex they are, the change is MASSIVE.

TI Inside at Trackside 2014 :D
We're here for a good time, NOT a long time, so keep it lit and never quite.
The Insider
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby bill » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:48 am

I'm glad to see Red Bull having problems with their new car.

Any truth in the rumours that Ross Brawn will be stepping into Martin Whitmarsh's shoes ?
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby The Insider » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:29 am

Hi folks,

Well, RBR are still struggling in Bahrain, I know its NOT mechanical, it's ALL electrical and mostly on the Renault side with some packaging issues from the team side, it's all about dispersing the heat.

When I was in Jerez I was stunned by the changes to the cars, there is ZERO cross over from last year and the ERS systems are pretty complicated, they will take a little while just to get right.

This appears to be the area that Renault are finding toughest, look, we ALL know that they can build GREAT F1 engines in any guise, but they are NOT noted for their electronics, however, the Germans ARE.

On day two of Jerez I watched all the teams closely, Mercedes came out the box and just pounded round, 93 laps on the second day of the first test with all that new technology was REALLY impressive and their reliability continues.

It's way too early to make any predictions on pace yet, however; you would have to fancy any Merc powered car finishing in the points at the first four races, but with such dramatic changes, its impossible to say who will finish where.

This I know, the heat in Malaysia will be a wounder for all of the teams.

TI
Last edited by The Insider on Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We're here for a good time, NOT a long time, so keep it lit and never quite.
The Insider
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Frosty » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:56 pm

Thanks T.I.
It certainly looks like the weather is a wee bit better out in Bahrain today than it is in Derbyshire!
There certainly is a rare site in the Pit Lane today! The Red Bull car is not sat in their garage? They seem to be pushing a few more laps and getting a a lot more track time compared to their entire test at Jerez ( could they have fixed the heat sinc issues?). Considering Mercedes have been the cause of most of the Red Flags, so far, today, it is going to be a difficult call as to which Team will come out of the box in the best condition in Australia!
Valtteri Bottas is looking good in the new car! The Williams Team, with the Mercedes Engine and Mr Massa, will - I think - be one of the Teams to gain a significant advantage from the rule changes. I have heard that Mercedes will share a lot of information between each Team that has their Power plant installed, this will benefit the likes of Force India and Williams!
Max Chilton has completed a few more laps today, was there a problem yesterday?
I wonder how Mr Boullier will find the Woking method of working? Just one more question, how is Kevin Magnussen looking? He seemed to push the car during the test at Jerez, has he managed to keep up his initial momentum and good results?

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:18 pm

I know TI rates Bernie E very highly - and he ought to know - but I've never liked him and the latest news is deeply disappointing. He has spoken of his 'great admiration' for Vladimir Putin and says he 'completely agrees' with the Russian president's views on homosexuality. Of course, this is the president who recently said gay people would not be harassed at the Sochi Olympics as long as they stayed away from children. Ecclestone is deplorable in claiming that he agrees with Putin's policies on gay rights.

Seriously, do we need a Russian GP that much????
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Frosty » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:09 pm

Well, there hasn't been too much discussions in regard to the years F1 Championship? Considering the technical changes and all the talk about ''lack of noise'', I think we have seen some very interesting racing!
The Canadian Grand Prix was full on, and today's qualifying in Austria was fantastic, who could have predicted that Williams Martini Racing would lock out the front row?
T.I. give us a ''heads up'' on Valtteri Bottas last year. Crucial mistakes were made by both Mercedes drivers, Nico and Lewis, in final qualifying, when the pressure was on to produce their best lap. Felipe and Valtteri took great advantage and succeeded where they failed.
Seb Vettel is being out gunned by the an Australian! Daniel Ricciardo hasn't stopped smiling since the championship started! I must admit that I question his appointment over Kimi Raikkonen, even Fernando Alonso was reported to be interested! Red Bull, however, preferred to promote from within and how that decision has paid off!!
Perhaps Daniel was a better bet as he would be a lesser disruptive influence to the Team compared to an experienced ''Star'' driver? Who knows, however the smile on the Aussie's face won't be going away any time soon.
Tomorrow's race should be another interesting encounter? Both the Williams cars will need all the Teams years of Championship winning experiences to get them home first and second! I really hope they do, this would set up a great British Grand Prix at Silverstone early next month.

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:34 pm

Overall, this has been an exciting season for fans but it was nail-biting stuff today. Well done Hamilton! My heart stopped at the start but what a comeback! You're right about Ricciardo, Frosty - he was brilliant today and I can see him being a champion one day, his overtaking was fantastic. It's going to get a lot interesting now that the pressure is on Rosberg, despite his lead. The tension between them was palpable.

I'm not happy about the statement that Hamilton's 28th win took him ahead of Sir Jackie Stewart as Britain’s second most successful driver after Mansell. Do world championships not count? Surely 3 of these make Sir Jackie the greatest?
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Frosty » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:14 pm

An Italian Grand Prix to remember? Two errors cost Rosberg the race - the rumour mill is running at full speed though?!?. What a come back by Bottas, after a terrible start, and Ricciardo, from 9th to 5th. Perez and JB ( Jenson Button - where's he going to be next year? ) battled hard and true to provide a wonderful race to the chequered flag.
The CEO of Fiat is now having a wee go at Luca Di Montezemolo, Ferrari are in turmoil ( T.I. will be watching this with as much interest as me -I'm sure!)?!?
Seb Vettel is a completely changed man, there is no smile - when he isn't winning he isn't happy! However across the garage, there is a huge smile on his Australian Team Mates face. Daniel set up a brilliant text book pass on Seb, by sending him a false run on the outside then cut in and passed him on the inside. The smile won't be getting any less as the season continues!
T.I., I'm sure, was out at Monza. I hope he can keep us up dated on the Ferrari Fall Out!
Good to see you back on this thread, Govangirl, - after all you did start it way back in 2009!

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Frosty » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:04 am

Lewis Hamilton or Nico Rosberg?
17 points is Lewis's lead! Can Nico finish on the top step with Lewis third or lower?
It has certainly been a season to remember, I wonder if there is one final surprise to come?

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:19 pm

It's got to be Hamilton but it's the double points rule that worries me Frosty. I find it completely unfair and ridiculous - if this influences the final outcome it will leave a bad taste.

But . . . I have total faith in Hamilton.
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Frosty » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:50 pm

I have to agree Govangirl. Under '' normal points '' Lewis would only have to finish 6th to be crowned World Champion - no matter where his team mate finished.
There will certainly be a huge audience watching the race, however there will be a massive outcry if the winner is decided on a technical issue.
Reading my post after the Italian GP, I see that I was asking where Jenson will be racing next season and discussing Ferrari's fall out. There is still no answer as to the identity of JB's employer for 2015 or a final outcome on Ferrari's ''shake up ''? With Seb racing the prancing ponies with Kimi, will Alonso be back at Woking with the new Honda Engine?
McLaren are not going to announce Ron's driver line up until early December, 4th place in the 2014 constructors is still up for grabs.
OK, let's hope justice is seen to be carried out this coming weekend! Lewis taking pole on Saturday and the chequered flag on Sunday will be the outcome we all want.
It doesn't seem fair that Marussia, and the other ''lower league '' teams are being starved of cash. Surely something needs to be done to correct this?

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Frosty » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:09 pm

''Lewis ......... you are an absolute legend''
Not my words, but the words spoken by HRH Prince Harry, over Mercedes Team Radio, to Lewis Hamilton as he crossed the line earlier today!
A perfect start ensured that the number 44 Mercedes car was in a great position to take early control of the day - night race at the Yas Marina circuit. Both Williams drivers were very impressive, great strategy decisions kept Lewis fighting to finish on the top step.
Lewis had built up a great points total, 10 wins plus some fantastic come backs, before the final race. Any other outcome would surely have been a tragedy.

BBC Sports Personality Of The Year 2014....... your nomination please?

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:56 pm

Ho ho, absolutely Frosty. I was one of those who thought he was mad to leave McLaren to go to Mercedes; what do I know? And I thought Rosberg was very gracious and dignified in defeat. Really, they both drove well throughout the whole season but Hamilton, you are, as the Prince says, a true legend. And thank you very much!
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Sport Chit Chat