Owen Coyle

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Owen Coyle

Postby Jock Strap » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:09 pm

Surprised to see Owen Coyle is having talks with Bolton. Thought he would want to wait with Burnley for the remainder of the season or does he know a sinking ship when he sees one?
Jock Strap
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Owen Coyle

Postby Kevin Mc » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:58 pm

Looks like he's going.

This is all money related. From what I understand, the Burnley directors have made financial security a priority. After many years of financial gloom, Burnley are now debt free, and the directors don't want to risk this by splashing the cash on new players in the January transfer window. They'd rather we went down with no debt and financial security, than risk spending and creating new debt.

On the other hand, Owen Coyle wants to spend some money on new players / strengthening the team. He believes with this money, he could secure Burnley in the Premier.

One of the more recent directors at Burnley, Brendan Flood, had invested several million of his own money into the club. He would have put more money in, but the recession has hit his Property company very hard - http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/apr/22/digger-burnley-matt-scott

It's now up to the other directors to supply the money, though the majority view seems to favour financial security.

Brendan Flood now has no more money available to put in. The aspirations of the manager and majority of Directors therefore don't seem to match, so something had to give.

All in my own opinion (as a Burnley fan).
Kevin Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby bud » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:16 pm

shouldve went to celic :lol:
bud
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Jock Strap » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:21 pm

Kevin

What's the feelings about Mr Coyle these days? Must be hard to swallow. Especially joining fellow reglegation contenders....
Jock Strap
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Kevin Mc » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:45 pm

He wasn't popular at all with that move. Didn't help with us playing Bolton so soon after the move. On the Burnley forums (http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=104&) people are mostly very unhappy about him leaving, though some do realise that he did make a very positive contribution to the club, and that for him at least, it was time to move on.

However, a lot of the fans are very dissolusioned with the Premier. Players and managers only seem to be loyal to money, it's just the fans that are loyal to the clubs. There are posters saying that they're looking forward to getting back in the Championship where money isn't god (well maybe not as much anyway!).

It is time to move on now though, and I'm with the fans who just want to enjoy it (the Premier) whilst it lasts. No point getting depressed every time we get stuffed. I've supported them since 1979, and this is my first season in the top flight. It may be the last for quite some time too...
Kevin Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to Sport Chit Chat