Time for 5 Best Singles

Have your say....

Postby aquiline » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:04 pm

When you say 'singles' I assume that you mean purchased on release? There's no way I can give you that list as it's full of modern italo dub disco.

What I will give you is my top 5 purchased singles (or EPs) not at time of release - much easier.

Ruth - Polaroid Roman Photo
- Obviousy rarity does not equate with the quality of a record but this is probably the rarest record i own and it's great. For some odd reason only 80 copies of the 7" were ever pressed though i believe it is also available on some compilation. Mid 80's minimal synth / synth pop from france. Rigid drum machine, polaroid camera sounds, minimal synths, slightly cheesy synth brass and monotone vox backed up by airy gallic female vocals. Super cute.

Sister Sledge - Lost In Music (1984 Bernard Edwards & Nile Rodgers Remix)
- The version of an absolute disco classic. "Never be as good to me!" vocal hook around 3.35 brings a club to it's knees every time. For those not in the know, Bernard Edwards & Nile Rodgers are Chic.

Paul Haig - Reason
- God, I love this song. Better than 99% of the new music i hear, Edinburgh legend and ex Josef K singer reappears after a long hiatus with this 4 minutes of brilliance. After leaving Josef K he made some of the first wave of electronic pop records and collaborated with Mantronik, Lil Louis, Billy Mackenzie, Alan Rankine, Bernard Sumner, Cabaret Voltaire, Isabelle Antena and Bernie Worrell. He has finally returned, produced everything himself and updated his blueprint. I could listen to his voice forever. I have a feeling most of you couldn't.

Delkom - Superjack Infusion One
- Super rare 12" from 1990 by DAF's Gabi Delgado and the super sultry voiced Saba Komossa with the subtitle "delkom's very own house anthem - very advanced house music". It's not really house at all as for a start there's no kick drum and it may annoy some, but i love her voice, its sister sledge and kraftwerk quoting vocals and almost children's music box sequences. Was later remixed by the orb.

Blondie - Heart of Glass
- The original demo of 'Heart of Glass' goes a long way to show just how great Mike Chapman's production skills were. After finally convincing the band they were out of tune and out time with each other he was convinced he could transform it into the song that would break them globally. Using the then brand new Roland Cr 78 drum machine, and painstakingly recording the song beat by beat, he transformed it into something totally different. Initially the band hated it, their peers hated it and the label hated it but the world loved it and the rest was history - a pop disco classic.
aquiline
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:59 pm

Different days, different choices.

Stuck my James CD on today and memories.

Always wanted to hear Sit Down live - but sadly never got the chance.

What about James for the Vic!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qGmhLoyZAe0
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Stone Cold aka Doags Bs » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:06 am

Davie P wrote:Different days, different choices.

Stuck my James CD on today and memories.

Always wanted to hear Sit Down live - but sadly never got the chance.

What about James for the Vic!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qGmhLoyZAe0

Saw them at T in the Perk last year - pretty good.
Stone Cold aka Doags Bs
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re:

Postby bill » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:57 pm

bill wrote:Days..........................The Kinks

Doo Wah Diddy..........Manfred Mann

Hurt...........................J.R.Cash

Eve of Destruction.....Barry McGuire

Flower of Scotland.....The Corries

Could put these five on a continuous loop and never tire of listening to them 8)

YOU BOY AT THE BACK.........YES YOU.........STOP SNIGGERING :lol: :lol: :lol:

Three years on and much the same,except for replacing The Corries with The Wolfe Tones "Joe McDonnell"
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Time for 5 Best Singles

Postby Martin » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:46 pm

Just now I'm thinking....
A Whiter Shade Of Pale - Procul Harem
Solid Gold Easy Action - T.Rex
Mike Sarne - Just For Kicks
Johnny Bond - The Pig Got Up And Slowly Walked Away
The Arrows - I Love Rock'n' Roll

There's too many just to pick five, to leave some of them out is a crime, just so much fantastic music out there.
My fave five will change by next week, but that takes nothing away from these five.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Time for 5 Best Singles

Postby bill » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:11 pm

OK,let's dump The Corries and replace with this classic.How could I have forgotten it ?

Have seen him in concert three times .Brilliant.

I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc