What are you reading just now?

Have your say....

Re: What are you reading just now?

Postby numberplease » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:14 pm

Well, I won`t be finding out, because I won`t be seeing the film. I prefer to keep my pre-conceived ideas of what Jack Reacher looks like, and as I don`t even like Tom Cruise, I won`t be missing anything. I`ve just finished another Reacher story, The Affair, which takes the reader back to 1997. Am now reading a Kathy Reichs book, Seizure. It`s meant for teenagers really, part of a series about Temperance Brennan`s great- niece Tory Brennan, and her adventures with a group of friends. I bought Virals and started reading it before I realised it was for a younger generation, but liked it, so decided to give this one a go. Sort of a cross between the Famous Five and TV series The Champions, a bit far fetched, but not too much so.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:37 pm

numberplease wrote:Well, I won`t be finding out, because I won`t be seeing the film. I prefer to keep my pre-conceived ideas of what Jack Reacher looks like, and as I don`t even like Tom Cruise

:lol: Numberplease I have just said basically this on GG's post re the Reacher Film. I'm just not sure if I want to see it or not.
I really enjoyed The Affair.
Life has been hectic and I haven't been reading very much so hoping to chill and get through a few books over the festive season, I'm just not sure which book to start on I have so many in the "to read" pile.
A colleague has recommended Chris Mooney for us thriller fans. Has anybody read any of his?
Merry Christmas to you all :D
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby numberplease » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:43 pm

I`ve just finished In The Woods, a first book by Tana French, which was really very good. I`d be interested in finding out what else she`s written since. I`ve just started Whisky From Small Glasses, by Denzel Meyrick. Not very far in as yet, but contrary to WC1, I`m quite enjoying it, and having fun picking out the locations, seeing as I`m a visitor, not a local.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby WC1 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:49 pm

I finished 'Whisky from Small Glasses' today, The dialogue is excellent throughout, sharp, to the point and believable. These feel like real people talking. It's the author's real strength and a definite plus for the book. He has a good ear for dialect and gets in some great wit and humour.
Last edited by WC1 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby numberplease » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:41 am

WC1, I also finished Whisky from Small Glasses today, and whilst I spotted the grammatical and spelling mistakes, I really did enjoy it. My only real complaint/query is like yourself, why the "twist" on the last page, serves no useful purpose at all, unless it`s being carried through to the next book?
I`ve read the first two of the Lewis trilogy, have just bought The Chessman.
At the moment, I`m reading Say Goodbye, by Lisa Gardner, only read a few pages, but I usually like her offerings.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pete Reek » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:41 am

WCI, was there really any need to be so harsh with your opinion on the book by the local man?
Wouldn't a simple "I didn't like it" have been enough? I would say that you have now spoiled it for a lot of those intending to read it.
I'm really looking forward to reading yours now!
Some days I jeest donno hoots hoot an hoots naw hoot.
Pete Reek
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Location: Ur we therr yet mammy? Naw we'll be therr in a wee while or two.

Postby WC1 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:05 pm

Pete, I was perhaps a bit too negative, so I've added in some positives. Credit where it's due. I had really been looking forward to reading this book, and was disappointed. Maybe I set too much store by all the hype it had been given. As for writing a book of my own, I wish I had the time!
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby kintyre 84 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:58 pm

I agree with some of your points WC1. It is not the best written book I have read but I think the "local" connection is the reason I read it and for that I was not disappointed. I have mentioned in a review elsewhere, that I was not sure what other people, who don't have a connection to "Kinloch" would think about it. I still have to read a review from that someone.

Its easy to critisize I know, but that's the book business is it not!
kintyre 84
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby numberplease » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:11 pm

I don`t have a connection to "Kinloch", except as a visitor, but I actually did enjoy the book, despite the errors, and had fun identifying the various locations.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:00 pm

Well, I too am an outsider and I have just finished it. WC1 is correct with the errors but I have to say that I am finding this quite a lot in books now which in this day and age is unforgivable (and that mind-numbingly awful book 50 Shades is a perfect example of a book squealing out for editing and that sold millions!!!!! :<> ). However, I found it a good thriller and to me the characters were believable, particularly the chief detective, I felt I could empathise with them. I loved the use of the Scots dialect and I could 'see' the locations in my mind. The suspense kept me right up to the end and I have to say it was a cracking wee read. I'd certainly read the next one!
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:18 pm

Ditto GG, now I want to know what Ags thinks?
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pete Reek » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:47 pm

Have read a lot about the series of books about "Jack Reacher", and until yesterday I was unaware that I had some copies in the house. My daughter gave a lot of books about a year ago and I concentrated on the James Patterson's Alex Cross ones.
Late afternoon on Saturday I found 4 Jack Reacher books and settled down with Killing Floor. Couldn't put it down!
Now well through my second one and really enjoying it too.
One thing I can't quite fathom out is why a casting director would have a short, black haired actor in the Jack Reacher role in the film. To me that would be like having Eddie Murphy in the role of Alex Cross.
I suppose it is down to money rather than casting accuracy, as Cruise is already a box office draw.
The only Tom Cruise film I have seen was Top Gun, and the music was the best part of that for me.
Some days I jeest donno hoots hoot an hoots naw hoot.
Pete Reek
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Location: Ur we therr yet mammy? Naw we'll be therr in a wee while or two.

Postby numberplease » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:24 pm

Pete, I hope you carry on enjoying your Jack Reacher books, I love them. In my mind, he looks something like Peter Schmeikel (sp), but even though there probably aren`t many actors who look like that, surelythey could have got a bit nearer the mark than Tom Cruise?
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby kintyre 84 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:15 am

Hi Pete

You and I are new to the Jack Reacher books at the same time. I, however, saw the film with Tom Cruise then decided to give them a go. Killing Floor was my first one too. I really enjoyed it, but I had Tom Cruise in mind when I read it and can honestly say that it helped. Perhaps i lack imagination but watching it helped me picture a lot more than I may have done without seeing him in the film.

I will never know what I would have made of Jack Reacher without seeing him with Tom's face but all I know is that I am a convert to Lee Child books now.
kintyre 84
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby numberplease » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:34 pm

My first one was One Shot. Having read about a dozen of them, I`m sorry, but Tom Cruise definitely aint Jack Reacher, no way, no how! Come on Ags, stick in your two pennorth!
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc