Slumdog Millionaire

Have your say....

Slumdog Millionaire

Postby Govangirl » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:32 am

Saw this film tonight as been trying to catch it for ages - Wow! What a film! That's the third I've seen that were out of the lot nominated for Best Film and no wonder it won an Oscar. It had me intermittently laughing, crying and on the edge of my seat. Great film.
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Slumdog Millionaire

Postby Kevin Mc » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:40 am

I'm afraid I can't agree with you. IMHO it was a pretty average film. I was expecting it to be one of those you must see at the cinema, but I found myself bored for the first 45 minutes or so. It did pick up after that, and some of the scenes were funny (particularly in the call centres), though I did leave wondering what all the fuss was about.

The majority of people who have seen the film agree with Govangirl's verdict though....
Kevin Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Mary G » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:08 am

I am a bit between the two opinions. I really enjoyed it, and am glad I saw it (I rarely reach the cinema nowadays). I like the fact that it is totally different to a lot of what is produced nowadays. Very uplifting, great casting, especially of the children as they grew up. The vivid colours - of the slums and and the clothing - really have an impact, and make it distinctive.

I would strongly advise people to see it. But it does not quite rank among my all time favourite films.
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby bill » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:47 pm

Glad to say I saw Slumdog well before Golden Globes BAFTAS etc.Because I wasn't filled with expectation I enjoyed it.If I was to go now after all the awards it has gained then I know I would be disappointed,as I would be expecting more than the film delivered.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:16 pm

It obviously wasn't one of my all time favourite films but I was genuinely surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I couldn't see how a film about the Indian Who Wants to be a Millionaire could possibly win an Oscar but now I do. I remember being very moved by Danny Boyle's children's film 'Millions' and this moved me much the same. I guess it's because they're both stories of morality. I also loved, btw, the unconnected bit after the film when there was that Bollywood dancing bit. I was dancing in my seat, once again embarrassing Mr Govangirl. A real feel-good film which also makes you think and feel.
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kevin Mc » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:04 pm

Govangirl wrote: I also loved, btw, the unconnected bit after the film when there was that Bollywood dancing bit. I was dancing in my seat, once again embarrassing Mr Govangirl.

:D :lol:
Kevin Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:57 am

I saw the movie a few weeks ago. The thing about Slumdog Millionnaire is that there were parts I really liked, and things about it I didn't like (I thought it was really amateurish in some spots), but , after all these weeks it has never gone away from my mind, as if I saw it yesterday. And that is unusual for a movie.
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:30 am

Really looking forward to seeing this. We had hoped to see it as a family when away recently thinking it was a 12A but it's actually a 15! Is it suitable for younger viewers?? Sometimes I feel a 12 could really be a 15 and vice versa!!
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:39 am

I cannot imagine why it would be a 15 Ags. My daughter is desperate to see it and I'd happily let her watch it at 12 (and I don't allow her to watch Eastenders on her own!) Have a look at this:

http://www.cinematical.com/2008/10/22/fan-rant-an-r-rating-for-slumdog-millionaire-give-me-a-brea/
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kevin Mc » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:19 am

Ags wrote:Really looking forward to seeing this. We had hoped to see it as a family when away recently thinking it was a 12A but it's actually a 15! Is it suitable for younger viewers?? Sometimes I feel a 12 could really be a 15 and vice versa!!

Definately not suitable for a 12 year old in my opinion. What about the bit with the eyes! There were other bits too, but I can't remember them now. I went in wondering why it wasn't a 12, then coming out thinking it was definately a 15..
Kevin Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Govangirl » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:08 am

Kevin Mc wrote:[ What about the bit with the eyes!

Although dreadful, I don't think this was graphic Kevin, do you?. Not like The Dark Knight and that was a 12! I think 12s and over could cope with learning how they make beggars more productive in India.
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:56 am

Govangirl wrote:It obviously wasn't one of my all time favourite films but I was genuinely surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I couldn't see how a film about the Indian Who Wants to be a Millionaire could possibly win an Oscar but now I do. I remember being very moved by Danny Boyle's children's film 'Millions' and this moved me much the same. I guess it's because they're both stories of morality. I also loved, btw, the unconnected bit after the film when there was that Bollywood dancing bit. I was dancing in my seat, once again embarrassing Mr Govangirl. A real feel-good film which also makes you think and feel.

Stupidest thing I've seen in a film for ages. Completely out of context with the rest of the film. Danny Boyle should've got the Oscar round the back of his napper for that one. I'll complain more later but just now the interweb machines at Heathrow are swallowing up coinage too fast for the likes of me.

Edit: Ok ready now. If you haven't seen the film, stop reading. Very little characterisation, why would Samir do what he did at the end? He showed no compassion for anyone at any other point (other than the eye part, obviously). The brother's relationship was never expanded upon to show that they needed or even cared for each other. They just went about happy after what happened to their mother.
Freida Pinto, what is all the fuss about? She's in the film for less than 10 minutes as a whole and how can anyone claim she's a good, let alone great, actress based on that is beyond me. And let's be honest, she's clearly a bit of a slapper. I suppose she's good looking in an Oh look at my perfect features way, but other than that she's a bit meh.
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:17 am

Oh forgot I need to write something else for the post to go back to the top. I concur with Bill, it was not rubbish but it was not that great either.
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:12 pm

I saw this film the other night. I enjoyed it, but can`t quite see why all the Oscars.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:17 am

Saw this recently and must admit that it was much better than I had expected. Relatively unknown cast, well acted, especially the kids. Took me about an hour to convince myself that the game show host wasn't Trevor Eve :?
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc