browser highjack

For help regarding the message board and any other computer related matters you may have!

browser highjack

Postby jane59 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:54 pm

I think my browsers been highjacked (let my nephew on and now wish I had`nt)
keep getting different pages of spyware/pests etc popping up and the BHO thingy at start saying something been added to browser and ask whether to keep or not ,I have`nt kept anything ,just keep clicking it off.......done all my virus scans and i had Trojan horse downloader .generic 2.CXP which won`t heal it says( i scan and update every day AVG free grisoft,also have adaware and spyware guard.
Any advice or do i need to reinstall windows
jane59
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Malky » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:10 am

Which browser?

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jane59 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:53 am

IE 6

just scanned again and had 3 trojans ,said they were deleted and in vault........so far no pop ups
jane59
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Malky » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:06 am

Try this article for some tips Jane.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1579

It's getting a bit old now but is still helpful.

By the way, if you can't remove a virus properly after scanning, boot up in safe mode and then run your virus scanner. That usually does it.

Also try Firefox or Opera as a browser and you won't get hijacked 8)

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Big thanks to Malky

Postby jane59 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:37 pm

Malky thanks for the help......took me till 9pm tonight to sort it out though,hopefully don`t ever have to go through that again

any way after downloading all sorts of progs which never worked and I even installed Firefox and uninstalled IE but those pesky pop-ups still popped up! not on firefox ,your right but IE somewere still came up with them............then I remembered the link you gave me so went back to that tonight and downloaded Spybot ,ran it and it got all but one but after rebooting it got it so I`m delighted now 2 1/2 hours of surfing without interference (fingers x`d though)

so I`d suggest anyone with problems like I had to get spybot
also have my AVG but read a few forums and some claimed they were coming from AVG free edition to make us buy the full version.....whats your views on that idea?

Thanks again :D
jane59
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Why use free Anti Virus, Firewall or spyware programs..

Postby daftdog » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:46 am

jane59 wrote:also have my AVG but read a few forums and some claimed they were coming from AVG free edition to make us buy the full version.....whats your views on that idea?

I dont think these companies would deliberately aim pop ups and spyware at there own software just to make you buy the Pay for version. It just that the free version doesnt protect you from everything the full version does.

The following is a general opinion, not aimed at Jane59

To be honest, in this day and age, if you still use a free version of firewall, anti virus or spyware, then you are more or less asking for things to go wrong. £30 or £40 pounds a year to protect yourself is not a lot of money, if it saves you the hassle of going through hours of trying to fix the problem. Most adults will spend more than that in a week on alcohol &/or cigarettes or close to that a month for your broadband connection.

I get at least 30 attempts a day from outside influences trying to get access to my pc and the only reason i know this is because of my Zone Alarm Firewall, which logs every one. 11 today since i booted this pc, which was about 40 mins ago.

I bet everyone on this forum will have dealt with some sort of problem in this area at some point and i bet a good deal of them paid for protection afterwards. I know i did.
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Technical Support