Vista

For help regarding the message board and any other computer related matters you may have!

Vista

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:00 am

I'm getting my new Dell laptop delivered tomorrow (YESSS). It comes with XP installed, but it also comes with an option to order Vista for $10 (around 5£). I won't actually have Vista in hand for 4-6 weeks or however long it takes to get it in the mail, but I would be interested to hear what anyone else thinks who has a chance to use it beforehand.
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Malky » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:10 am

Lots of eye candy, lots of bugs. You go ahead and order it Bobbie and when the bugs etc are ironed out give me a shout and I'll maybe have a look at Vista. In the meantime I'll stick with XP (and wait for the bugs to be sorted out with it :wink: )

:lol: :lol:

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby daftdog » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:23 am

Good luck with Vista. I'm sure it will be a lot more secure than previous releases of Windows, but i'd make sure your Firewall is a good one though, as it can take a wee while for Microsoft to lock the doors and i'm sure there will be some doors left wide open on release..:cry:

Windows XP Launched October 2001, Service pack 1 released September 9, 2002. Service pack 2 released August 25, 2004

What version are you getting??
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:51 pm

Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, English without Media, for Inspiron
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby daftdog » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:12 pm

I meant, what version of Vista are you getting Bobbie...:?

Is it the Ultimate, Home Basic or Home Premium Edition??
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:17 pm

daftdog wrote:I meant, what version of Vista are you getting Bobbie...:?

Is it the Ultimate, Home Basic or Home Premium Edition??

oh :oops: :lol:

Home Premium Edition
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pete Reek » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:03 pm

Well Bubba, you must be limping now the way you shot yourself in the foot with that answer to Mental Chihuahua
Why don't you get the Terminator version, the Hasta la Vista one that big Arnold uses?
Pete Reek

Postby Annie » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:01 am

I am sticking with my Firefox. I like it!!!!!!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:21 am

Annie, Firefox is just a web browser, like Internet Explorer and Opera. Windows XP, Vista, MAC etc are operating systems.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:23 am

Pete Reek wrote:Well Bubba, you must be limping now the way you shot yourself in the foot with that answer to Mental Chihuahua
Why don't you get the Terminator version, the Hasta la Vista one that big Arnold uses?

Funny Pete! I WANT them to haste the vista! (But I want you all to have tested it first :) )
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kevin Mc » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:44 am

daftdog wrote:Good luck with Vista. I'm sure it will be a lot more secure than previous releases of Windows, but i'd make sure your Firewall is a good one though, as it can take a wee while for Microsoft to lock the doors and i'm sure there will be some doors left wide open on release..:cry:

I'm sure Vista comes with it's own built in security. I looked into loading the Beta version and I had to run a program to see if my PC would run with it. The PC was fine, but it said my ZoneAlarm Firewall would not work with it. :shock:

THat's put me right off - not keen on relying on their software for security......
Kevin Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby daftdog » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:47 am

Kevin Mc wrote:
daftdog wrote:Good luck with Vista. I'm sure it will be a lot more secure than previous releases of Windows, but i'd make sure your Firewall is a good one though, as it can take a wee while for Microsoft to lock the doors and i'm sure there will be some doors left wide open on release..:cry:

I'm sure Vista comes with it's own built in security. I looked into loading the Beta version and I had to run a program to see if my PC would run with it. The PC was fine, but it said my ZoneAlarm Firewall would not work with it. :shock:

THat's put me right off - not keen on relying on their software for security......

Cheers Kevin, you questioned my post THEN actually made the point i was getting at..lol. The first thing the hackers will attack is the Vista Security software.. :?
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby daftdog » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:44 am

Kevin Mc wrote:I looked into loading the Beta version and I had to run a program to see if my PC would run with it. The PC was fine, but it said my ZoneAlarm Firewall would not work with it. :shock:

As far as i can see from the zonealarm user forum today, there still isn't a Vista compatible version of the ZoneAlarm firewall. Anyone who has it and loves it like i do, should maybe wait until a compatible release.

If it came down to an operating system upgrade or getting shot of my ZoneAlarm Security Suite, i'd rather stay with my current version of XP, as i trust my ZoneLabs software more than i do Microsoft's... :?

I do have to say though, Vista looks great and looks to have made some good improvements on the old XP, so, i will be tempted to upgrade my laptop XP installation when everything is compatible with vista.
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Malky » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:46 pm

Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:17 pm

trusssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssst meeeeeee.... there is no neeed to worrry...

Your computer would have to be turned on for anyone to exploit it in such a way........all you need to do is make sure you don't push the power button :lol: :lol:
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Technical Support