USB1 to USB2 converter?

For help regarding the message board and any other computer related matters you may have!

USB1 to USB2 converter?

Postby Kevin Mc » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:56 am

Does such a thing exist? I want to upload video onto my PC, but it only has USB1.0 and needs USB2.0.
Kevin Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Kevin Mc » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:56 am

Need to reword that - just want to be able to have USB2.0 on my PC which only has USB1.0. Can I buy an internal card or something else?
Kevin Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Malky » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:14 pm

You can get a card that just plugs into a pci slot inside your pc. This will give you 2 - 5 ports out the back of the pc. Look for Belkin or similar quality as the chipsets on some of the cheaper ones cause problems.

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:25 pm

Daft question but have you actually tried it?

I say that because a lot of devices that say they need USB2 will still actually work with a USB1 port, albeit at a slower transfer rate.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Arguing with someone on the internet is like mud wrestling with a pig.
After a while you realize the pig likes it." - Anon.
Beachcomber
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kevin Mc » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:31 pm

Malky wrote:You can get a card that just plugs into a pci slot inside your pc. This will give you 2 - 5 ports out the back of the pc. Look for Belkin or similar quality as the chipsets on some of the cheaper ones cause problems.

Malky

Will it be obvious which one is the PCI slot when I open up the PC? Don't mind doing this (previously added memory and a new HDD), but not sure what I'll be looking for.

Cheers for the reply :)
Kevin Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Kevin Mc » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:33 pm

Beachcomber wrote:Daft question but have you actually tried it?

I say that because a lot of devices that say they need USB2 will still actually work with a USB1 port, albeit at a slower transfer rate.

Have tried it. A few devices do whinge about performing faster with USB2 but do work with USB1, but the Camcorder doesn't want to know.

I'll have a look on Euyer/Aria/Ebay to see if I can get a cheapie USB PCI card.

Thanks for the replies. :)
Kevin Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:08 pm

OK well it was worth trying, anyhow. PCI slots tend to be white and set further from the backplane than the old ISA slots; not to be confused with the (usually) sinlge AGP slot for a graphics card.

Got an extra USB2 card in a PC here if you want to check/compare before you spend on one, if it helps.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Arguing with someone on the internet is like mud wrestling with a pig.
After a while you realize the pig likes it." - Anon.
Beachcomber
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Technical Support