This site...

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

This site...

Postby Ship called Dignity » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:55 pm

Well the www.visitkintyre.info one.

Can people please tell me if it is slow to load?

What improvements can be made?

etc etc

Looking for some fresh ideas as I am about to embark on round two of the site with renewed enthusiasm! :?
Last edited by Ship called Dignity on Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Willie D » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:47 pm

I find it a bit slow Davie - but then again this auld 'puter could dae wi a good system clean-up! Will be upgrading to broadband soon so that should help.
Course you'll know the more pics & especially moving images you have on your front page the more you slow things down anyway.
Why no' go the whole hog & have something cheesy playing tae! :lol:
Willie D
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Fergaltoo » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:52 pm

Loads just fine for me, I enjoy the site a lot, having been to Campbeltown a good few times. Its helping me plan my next wee cycle run...As I can see Kintyre from across the sea here, ( I'm closer to you than I am to my work) I look forward to many more visits. I think contributions from people who have visited Kintyre would be good. Relating where they've been , what they did, etc etc.....now...on that note, does anyone know where they filmed the scene from 007, From Russia With Love, where Connery gets chased by a helcopter? I know they did stuff at Crinan but I think that bit was on up a bit?
Fergaltoo
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Site

Postby Ship called Dignity » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:03 am

I'm going to remove quite a number of images from the Index Page this week and generally tidy it up.

The site loads fine with me too - on broadband but someone pointed out that it is slow in loading.

Obviously the more you visit the quicker it loads!

Anyone got any thoughts on how to promote the site? Mass e-mail? Adverts in papers etc etc How do I improve search engine rankings? Okay with google and msn but not even listed on a few others! :roll:
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Malky » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:43 pm

I find the index page a bit slow to load Davie - not everyone has broadband :( Cutting down on the images would be a good idea.

There are various free search engine submission sites such as http://www.submitexpress.com/ which submit to a number of sites at once. You may have to put a button or link of some sort on your website somewhere though.

Some search engines, like Alta Vista don't accept remote submissions but you can go and submit your site manually. Most sites have a link that allow you do this.

Hope that helps :)

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Malky

Postby Ship called Dignity » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:56 pm

Cheers,

I am going to update it all very soon. I think I should go back to how I like sites - simple! I got some new software so I got excited and tested it all out! :shock:

Are you not getting Broadband up by?

It does make such a difference!
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Malky » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:45 pm

Nope, no broadband for Tayinloan exchange - it is commercially unviable :(

I have ISDN here and that's as fast as I'm gonna get for the near future. I was in at Russell's the other day to see how fast his broadband connection was. That sickened me I can tell you :x

If you're interested by the way have a look at http://www.samknows.com as it gives you all the info for broadband for every exchange in the UK. I notice that Carradale is due to be broadband enabled in July but all the other rural exchanges have had it. They didn't even have a trigger level for broadband which is a bit naff :(

The only thing in our favour is that the Scottish Executive has promised that all rural areas will get broadband by the end of 2005. I'm not really holding my breath though :)

Cheers,

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to General Chit Chat