Fleming's Land

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

Re: Fleming's Land

Postby Iain » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:58 am

A quicky question for EMDEE:

I didn't really want to revive this thread as I believe its seen its day. Nonetheless...

Hi Emdee..., our Wiki-Cambeltonian ! :lol:

As you can see by Bill’s private message below, his advice was to transfer a couple of questions to you concerning the McArthur butcher in Longrow during the fifties. Because he had mentioned that his brother had worked for them, I thought he would have been able to reply.

Quote from Bill: “Hi Iain, you are going back to the fifties and I'm sorry but I do not know the answers.
Your best bet would be to ask EMDEE, he has a better memory than me. I would only be about 8 or 9, it was my older brother John, who is sadly no longer with us, who worked as an apprentice butcher there. I do recall he was very happy working there.
Of course the shop was demolished to make for a larger entrance to Longrow church.”

My question: “What became of the McArthur butcher shop and eventually confirm the first name of its owner”? (perhaps Dougald Hawthorn McArthur ?!!)

Bill’s reply provides me with another question:
At the time, my Grandmother Mary MacArthur (Black) lived at 53 Longrow..., and I distinctly remember that on leaving the building, I had to turn left to go to work. As such..., the shop was not in the vicinity of the church gates. Did they move shop at some time or other ?

I believe this is the shop as it is now..., I remember parking my delivery bicycle in that close.
http://maps.google.fr/maps?q=Campbeltow ... 12,,0,6.69
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby EMDEE » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:09 pm

That was in fact the Co-operative Butchers Shop. The Co-op moved their butchers shop from the top end of Longrow opposite Park Square to there in, I think, the mid 1960s. Prior to that this was a Greengrocers shop. The shop that was McArthurs Butchers is still there immediately to the right of the Longrow Church entrance. It says "Architects".
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Iain » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:34 pm

Thanks Emdee !

That’s really peculiar..., as my grandmother always bought her meat from that shop. Perhaps with their “architect” shop being so close, the Co-op may have asked him to run their business. The all-product Co-op at the time was what is now “All Sports.”

Thanks again !
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby bill » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:16 pm

See I told you Ian my memory is not what it was.Of course it was the building next to McArthur's that was knocked down.
I was talking to my older brother Donald,and he reminded me that though it was McArthur's the butchers, it was actually George and Jenny McKay who ran it.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Iain » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:31 am

bill wrote:See I told you Ian my memory is not what it was.Of course it was the building next to McArthur's that was knocked down.
I was talking to my older brother Donald,and he reminded me that though it was McArthur's the butchers, it was actually George and Jenny McKay who ran it.

Wow Bill ! This is now really confusing the issue. I’ll call a halt here and get back to the drawing board. :)

I do believe it’s so sad that the Town Hall is sitting on so much information but release next-to-nothing,* while they permit the fanatics who work for the News of the World and the like, to publish private details of people because they’re told it’s in the public interest.
We’ll all end up getting the information we want in the long run by posts like this..., but fragmented and inconsistent. But let’s not change the subject !

Thanks for your help..., Iain.

* Like the census, every Town Hall should publish every available page as a photo if it’s over 100 years old. (one person in every Town Hall spending a couple of months doing this would create hundreds of jobs all over Scotland)
To encourage them..., like the National Archives, I suggest they could even sell this information !
Newspapers could also do the same thing ! (I for one would buy them all)
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Iain » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:21 pm

Isa wrote:Iain, this is a link to an ad. for a flat in Flemings Land. You can see the front, the garden as it is today and a view of the building from the back.
http://www.propertyworld.com/propertyDe ... 5#imagepos

Hi Isa. I have a question.

Idiot as I was, I didn’t download the images that were present on the URL you posted. Remember..., the images were of the rooms inside Fleming’s Land. It’s since been taken down !
I don’t suppose you know of any other URL providing the same or similar images ? If you do, I’d greatly appreciate the info.

Thanks in advance and I wish you and all on the Kintyre Forum a great knees-up-Hogmanay and a healthy 2013.
Kind Regards..., Iain.
Last edited by Iain on Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Iain » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:38 pm

Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Iain » Sun May 26, 2013 3:29 pm

Just found this in the Fife Herald, 17 May, 1860. Still not had the time to verify if it's the same man..., but there's no smoke without fire !
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/6881 ... pt17ma.jpg
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Previous

Return to General Chit Chat