Card Games

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

Card Games

Postby Martin » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:02 pm

Do families sit around a table and play cards anymore ?
Cards were always a great part of my family life, right from an early age I was taught games such as One On A Jack - Two On A King - Three On A Queen And Four On An Ace, 'Tis('tis, 'tisn't 'taint) Newmarket (both versions), Sevens, Chase The Black Lady, Put & Take, Rummy (and Gin Rummy), Whist, Old Maid, Snap, Pontoon, Will The Clock Strike, Crib. When I was small we would play for matchsticks and then later for coppers. I always refused to learn Poker, my philosophy was and is, if I don't know how to play it, I can't lose money at it.
My dad taught me Nine Card Brag once and I fleeced him, it was the only time I ever played it, he refused to play me again.
It was a wonderful family pastime in the years when we had no TV, and even when we did we would often lose hours playing cards with a break for bacon sarnies.
My Gran used to have a "card night" once a week when she'd have folk come in and they'd play poker, each person had an Exmoor baccy tin with their card money in.
I'm ashamed to say I can't even locate a pack of cards in this house, just as well, as I can't remember how to play most of those games now.
To this day I remember my dad asking if I knew how to play 52 Card Pick Me Up, and yes, I fell for it.
So, does anyone still play cards, and I don't mean for serious gambling ?
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Card Games

Postby Bonnie Lass » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:16 pm

Dad and our daughter play Cribb - get very intense at times, she's been playing it from about 10 years old, afraid to say it wasn't my thing. Although I do play patience every now and again.
Bonnie Lass
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Martin » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:33 pm

In a box somewhere I still have two old wooden, battle-scarred old crib boards, the ones with the metal covers on each end to cover up the holes where the counters (matchsticks) were stored. I wouldn't have a clue where to even begin to play Crib now.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:02 am

Used to play crib many years ago, but now I can`t for the life of me remember how to play! We call the first game you mentioned Martin, Strip Jack Naked. Sometimes we`ll play Nomination and Black Lady, but not as often as we used to.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Martin » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:18 am

I've not heard of Nomination.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:45 pm

[quote="Martin"]I've not heard of Nomination.[/quote]

4 players, each with 13 cards. Hearts are always trumps, and aces are high, and each person nominates how many tricks they think they will get, but the last person sometimes has to make an adjustment to their nomination, because the number of tricks nominated can`t add up to 13, more, or less, but not 13. And you only score if you achieve the tricks that you nominate, the score being 10+ the number of tricks. The winner is the higjhest score after 13 hands.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby witchnettle » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:55 pm

every sunday night when i was growing up we would all play cards, trumps and gin runny and take two were family favourites.
it was such a good laugh and a chance for my parents to tell us all about their childhoods etc, and there would be elvis singing in the background. All was good till my sister was losing then she would throw her cards up and run round the back of the couch for a cry...
lol ...
me and my kids play cards regularly and they are great for an airport departure lounge.
we used to play poker with matches too.
many many happy memories x
are we denying our kids these memories too by not doing things like this with them, when families get a chance to talk and laugh together without the television or X boxes demanding attention x
flag flax fodder and frig
witchnettle
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby numberplease » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:13 pm

Trouble is, in this household, it`s my husband who creates when he loses, spoils it for everyone else, so now there aren`t many folk left who`ll play cards, dominoes or anything with him!
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to General Chit Chat