First Hundred

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

Postby Malky » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:04 am

I'll volunteer to help admin the site :)

Just so long as I can still post messages here :) :) 8) 8)

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Gus » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:04 am

Yeh im sure a few more could help out - if the worst came to the worst you could close postings through the night and open them again sometime through the day which would allow proper monitoring - again that is restricting everybody because of the few but......
Gus
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Ranald » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:05 am

Well Davie and I manage it so I'm sure you will as well 8)

Of course it'll be up to Davie what happens next, but I'm sure he'll be glad of all offers of help and the board will progress as he sees fit.
Ranald
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Ranald » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:08 am

Gus wrote:Yeh im sure a few more could help out - if the worst came to the worst you could close postings through the night and open them again sometime through the day which would allow proper monitoring - again that is restricting everybody because of the few but......

I didn't see any of last night's offending posts so I'm not entirely sure what the problem was with them, but unless postings are legally dodgy I would hope that them being on the site until the next admin or moderator comes on wouldn't do too much harm.
Ranald
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Malky » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:10 am

Gus wrote: if the worst came to the worst you could close postings through the night and open them again sometime through the day which would allow proper monitoring - again that is restricting everybody because of the few but......

Thing is, with the time difference across the globe that may affect anyone posting from Oz or the US. This site has a global audience you see :) 8)

Ranald: I've already PM'ed Davie about helping.

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Gus » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:13 am

I pretty much reading them as they were posted - a lot of what was posted was in my view not that bad but basically he contradicted everything good about campbeltown - dont know what could/would cause problems for site but I suppose all it would take is for someone to take exception - you being a reporter will have a better idea on that subject - does a disclaimer not work on a site like this????
Gus
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Gus » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:15 am

Thing is, with the time difference across the globe that may affect anyone posting from Oz or the US. This site has a global audience you see

quite right malky - sorry small town mentality :D :D
Gus
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Ranald » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:20 am

As far as I know the disclaimer doesn't protect the site from defamation claims.

I remember a fairly recent case involving a football team's message board (it might have been Hearts) which had to be shut down after someone posted something libellous on it.

There was also something about the Herald being sued for something a member of the public wrote on their website.

Another complication relating to websites is that because they are available to people all over the world, it wouldn't necessarily be the British courts that would hear any complaints against this site, as someone could sue under French or German law (for example) if they could prove that there was a reasonable chance that someone in those countries could have read the offending message.

Just as a disclaimer of my own though, none or all of the above could be a load of rubbish, depending on what someone more qualified than me might have to say :D
Ranald
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Ranald » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:21 am

Gus wrote:
Thing is, with the time difference across the globe that may affect anyone posting from Oz or the US. This site has a global audience you see

quite right malky - sorry small town mentality :D :D

We could just get an administrator or two from every continent :P
Ranald
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Malky » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:26 am

Ranald wrote:As far as I know the disclaimer doesn't protect the site from defamation claims.

I remember a fairly recent case involving a football team's message board (it might have been Hearts) which had to be shut down after someone posted something libellous on it.

There was also something about the Herald being sued for something a member of the public wrote on their website.

You might find the company hosting the website would be liable too :?

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ranald » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:30 am

Malky wrote:
Ranald wrote:As far as I know the disclaimer doesn't protect the site from defamation claims.

You might find the company hosting the website would be liable too :?

Malky

Oh aye I forgot about them!

It's all a bit of a minefield. Pleny of other chat sites seem to manage though so with a little bit of attention I don't see it being a major problem.
Ranald
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Gus » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:33 am

I hope so - Dave set me up as a moderator and im happy to help out in any way to keep it going - whats the difference between moderator and admin???
Gus
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Malky » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:34 am

Ranald, I think if you have a set of site rules and police them fairly rigorously then you'd be ok.

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Malky » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:35 am

Gus wrote:I hope so - Dave set me up as a moderator and im happy to help out in any way to keep it going - whats the difference between moderator and admin???

Admin changes the site clock settings........ stuff like that :lol: :lol:

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ranald » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:36 am

Basically a moderator can edit and delete posts etc, while an administrator can actually alter the look and set-up of the whole board.

Admins can also ban members and suchlike but in this case there isn't really a difference as drastic action or site changes will be up to Davie.
Ranald
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

PreviousNext

Return to General Chit Chat