Elephant in the room

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

Elephant in the room

Postby Bobh » Mon May 27, 2013 8:08 pm

Considering the recent events in Woolwich over the past few days and the subsequent news from London regarding the EDL and the graffiti on the war memorial, why is no one on here saying anything. Is it taboo?
Bobh
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Elephant in the room

Postby Govangirl » Mon May 27, 2013 10:43 pm

Bobh, I thought the same. It might be something to do with this, I don't know: my Facebook news feed was reading like an EDL/BNP manifesto the last few days. I even had to remove two people for the racist bile and hate they spewed and which shocked me. They were ready to condemn every Muslim for the tragedy that took place on that London street.

The other side is that there are real issues now regarding the hate-filled leaders of extremism and mass immigration but I doubt anything will be done - not while you can 'live it large' in Ibiza! In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the fear of terrorism is the modern way to control us all. The UK is a joke now.

RIP Drummer Lee Rigby.
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobh » Thu May 30, 2013 11:16 am

Good post and well said GG. Just a bit confused and suprised that there has been little response from what has beena big topic in the news recently. A forum is for opinions and i'm amazed that few have offered theirs.
Bobh
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Thu May 30, 2013 4:43 pm

I feel that one of the reasons why people do not comment is the fear of being branded racist if the post is not worded correctly.
I do feel that the authorities need to clamp down on the broadcasters of hatred from whatever creed,organisation or religion.Freedom of speech is one thing but there should be a line that must not be crossed.
Last edited by LANDROVER ROGER on Thu May 30, 2013 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby gray_marian » Thu May 30, 2013 4:46 pm

Such a barbaric act has stunned and appalled decent people.If only the Government were able to round up all known
and suspect radicals, rather simplistic I know, perhaps the citizens of this Country would not feel so demoralized, and to hell with the PC brigade when they dictate their human rights are being infringed, we can fight that in Court another day. Seems as if this Country has gone to the dogs.
gray_marian
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby four eyes » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:12 pm

gray_marian wrote:Such a barbaric act has stunned and appalled decent people.If only the Government were able to round up all known
and suspect radicals, rather simplistic I know, perhaps the citizens of this Country would not feel so demoralized, and to hell with the PC brigade when they dictate their human rights are being infringed, we can fight that in Court another day. Seems as if this Country has gone to the dogs.

who decides who is radical? Think about it, the next step would be death squads stalking the streets.
four eyes
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby lochend » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:04 pm

"who decides who is radical? Think about it, the next step would be death squads stalking the streets." Unfortunately It looks as though death squads are already stalking our streets...... looking for off duty British soldiers! There is a problem developing in these isles that we are unable to address because most of us are being prevented from expressing our views because of the political correctness anarchy that prevails. I hate to say it but the Wesminster "elite" have characterised the views of many of the ordinary people as ignorant and racist.Having serious concerns about the massive changes to our society the significant influx of foreign nationals who despise our way of life and would support those who would change it, is not an unreasonable stance, but if you voice these concerns you run the risk of being up in court! Madness...
lochend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Shona » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:32 am

Lochend, please quantify 'significant influx of foreign nationals who despise our way of life'?
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby gizmo » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:48 pm

Does that not more or less make his point. :roll:
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby lochend » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:40 pm

Shona wrote:Lochend, please quantify 'significant influx of foreign nationals who despise our way of life'?

Shona,this is the whole point,I feel constrained as to how to answer your question without being shot down by the opponents of free speech and called a racist.I will try to answer your question as safely as I can.I consider the above to apply to any section of the public who arrive at our country and immediately try to instal the laws of their own lands in GB.British law is British Law and MUST apply to all who reside here. We now have the situation down here where in many parts of the country our schoolchildren are having Halal meat included in their school meals.Not just those whose religion demand it but all children at that school. I have now objection to Halal meat per ce but I find the method of slaughter distasteful and would not choose it for my children IF I HAD THE CHOICE!
lochend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Martin » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:04 am

Lochend, very nicely put and oh so tactful, much more tactful than I could ever be.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Shona » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:58 am

Lochend, I don't see how quantifying your statement could ever be construed as racist. Numbers can't be racist.

The murder of Lee Rigby was abhorrent as is the growing number of anti-Islamic attacks. There is no justification for these crimes. The EDL (run by the son of Irish immigrants) and people like Anjem Choudary (British-born) are extremists - pure and simple. But they have a symbiotic relationship - they need each other to fuel their hatred. The media doesn't help by giving them publicity.

It's wrong to demonise an entire religion because of a crime committed by deluded extremists with a perverted interpretation of their own faith.

While I appreciate the men charged with Lee's murder are of African origin, half of all Muslims in the UK - it seems to me that Islam is the Elephant in the Room referred to the thread title - were born in the UK. The majority of the other half came to the UK in the 1950s and 1960s - many from Mirpur in Pakistan-administered Jammu Kashmir. The British army had a base in Mirpur and also recruited soldiers from the area - so a long association. The partition of India displaced millions of people and some from Mirpur fled to the safety of the UK. The building of the Mangla Dam flooded hundreds of villages in Mirpur region - many residents who lost their homes were granted British work permits.

There are also much longer-established Muslim communities in the UK, such as the Yemeni sailors (recruited by the British in Aden) who settled in port cities such as Cardiff - the first mosque in Cardiff is recorded in the 1860s.

My husband - we married at A'Chleit - experienced anti-Irish and anti-Catholic bigotry and hatred when he first moved to Britain from Ireland. Thankfully, we no longer see signs reading: 'No Irish. No Blacks. No Jews.' We can go on holiday without him being detained because his passport reveals his birthplace as Belfast.

But we still hear similar comments today. The targets are young Muslim men rather than young Catholic men from Belfast. Just as the EDL need people like Anjem Choudary to justify their existence (and vice versa), in Northern Ireland, the Provos needed Loyalist paramilitaries to justify their existence (and vice versa).

Extremists like the EDL and Choudary are trying to sow the seeds of future fanaticism, even terrorism. Both ends of this spectrum want to provoke militant outrage. 'See - they burn our places of worship, they feed pork to our children. We must fight back, brothers,' says one. ''See - they burn our flag, force our kids to eat halal meat. We must fight back,' says the other. Fan the flames...fan the flames...

A Muslim family lives next door to me. A normal British family - they work, they pay their taxes, mum gets frazzled getting the kids to school, the lawn gets mowed, the roses pruned, washing hung on the line to dry, kids giggling in the garden as they play their games, they totally deplored the murder of Lee Rigby and the mosque said prayers for Lee and did a collection for Help for Heroes.

What seeds are sown in the mind of a nine-year-old boy when his mum is spat on? What thoughts go through the mind of a teenage girl when beery, leery lads rip off her headscarf?

By demonising we may create more demons.

Do not get sucked in by extremists - whichever extreme they are on - it's what they want; it's their oxygen.
Last edited by Shona on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:02 am

Excellent post!
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Martin » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:40 pm

I'm holding my tongue.

All stand for the national anthem.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Hume » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:52 pm

LANDROVER ROGER wrote:Excellent post!

Its better than that!
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Next

Return to General Chit Chat