JFK

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

JFK

Postby EMDEE » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:44 am

One of the great questions of the late 20th and early 21st Centuries.

Where were you when JFK was assassinated?

Obviously this was a world event, and it may be of interest to find out what other forum members of a certain vintage (like myself) were doing a the time.

For myself, I was at my granny's in Crosshill Avenue, as I was staying there for the night as my parents were going out to a social event.

What were you doing?
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: JFK

Postby odds » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:37 am

Interesting question, and it will also reveal the age of posters on the forum :)
I was too young to remember it, being too young to attend school at the time :)

Pete.
odds
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:24 am

I had just arrived home from school and remember being transfixed by the images on the television.
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:00 pm

We`d only been married a few months, hubby was out at brass band practice, I was doing some hand washing, and putting it on a wooden clothes horse around the fire. The news came on, and there it was, had to wait an hour or so till hubby came home to talk about it.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Shona » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:45 pm

Toddling aboot the hoose.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Bonnie Lass » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:31 am

At home with Big sister and twin brother, we were playing with Toys or reading Beano - Big brother was at ATC drill practice, Mother out at sewing class, Big Sister in charge, she was preparing old christmas card as gift tags.
Bonnie Lass
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby gray_marian » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:26 pm

Was playing snakes & ladders in front of the fire with my sister till our mother shoo'd us out and turned the volume up on the radio.....I was 6 years old, odds :)
gray_marian
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby glassblower » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:31 pm

I would have been in one of three places when he got killed, either, at work, in bed or down the pub !!!
glassblower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby MPR » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:18 pm

don't remember it at all, was 11 at the time
MPR
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Lussa » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:34 pm

Remember finishing work for the week at the NATO base and the new Beatles album being out, when the news came in about JFK's assassination. Sometimes wonder about the lyrics " He blew his mind out in a car "
Lussa
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby petewick » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:15 pm

Unborn...... :P
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Iain » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:09 pm

Lol ! How’zit possible to reply 12 months later ! Hi Emdee !

I was a 19 year old Piper in the Scots Guards doing a tour of the USA and Canada with the Welsh Guards.
(I’ll do some SG public relations and recruitment here for the Regiment... It was a 4-month tour starting at Baltimore then through all cities via Niagara Falls to Toronto. Across to Vancouver then over to Vancouver Island..., down to San Francisco, up to Denver, down to San Antonio then around the east coast to New York. Hotels, meals, pocket-money and girls free; while our wages were accumulating back in Blighty. Anyone wanting to ‘join-up,’ just PM me:)

Anyway, on the way..., we stopped at Dallas ! Apart from the Soap Opara, I had never heard of the place before.
Bought a tourist card as usual for my album and there it was..., a postcard with Kennedy’s car and a detailed account of the shots from the window and all the other ‘juicy’ details that only the Americans with their ‘absolute psychotic dilemma relative to a necessity to possess arms’ can make known. I still have it !

Despite our nationality; we..., were shocked !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LnLz6mVUk4
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby dunc99 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:01 am

I was at home in Crosshill Ave. I don't think we had the television on at the time. We got a phone call from my Granny to tell us.
dunc99
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby EMDEE » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:43 pm

dunc99 wrote:I was at home in Crosshill Ave. I don't think we had the television on at the time. We got a phone call from my Granny to tell us.

I must have been just along the street from you then. :D
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby lighterman » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:57 am

I was in the bath with my little brother. (Hey it was '63 and that's what we did then)!
My Dad came in and said "Put Nick to bed then come down".
He had a stron sense of history which I didn't really appreciate at the time. I wanted to have some cocao and go to bed!
We watched the coverage on the box and not much was said but I remember having the same sense of unease I had when Dad got worried about the Cuba missile crisis. He thought it might be The End.
Funny that we remember these things, even when we were weans. I can remember the Old Feller getting me out of bed the watch the moon landing in '69 in great excitement. I was 12 then so a bit better able to understand and I thought it meant we were finally going to be the masters of space! My principal reference being Fireball XL5 hahahaaa!!!
The next truly momentous event I remember being affected by was 9/11.
I was on my knees wiring up the power socket on John and Cathy Kerr's trailer hitch and heard it on the radio. Where were you?
lighterman
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Next

Return to General Chit Chat