Campbeltown visit

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

Campbeltown visit

Postby glassblower » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:42 pm

Just returned from a 3 day trip and I must say though the "Wee Toon" looks very tired & rundown, it looks like it's on it's last legs. I went out for a walk at 8-15 am and I was surprised how little traffic/people there was about, it was that quiet I stood in the middle of Long Row and took a picture, not a car or soul about. Yes I know it's not the "tourist season" but I have been there before in the winter months and it was busier. On a positive note the staff in the shops we visited were "great" (as usual) polite, courteous and up for a laugh, great people. The new "Pontoon" looks well, can it be "added to" if there is a demand for more berths ? I could not miss a trip to the "Muneroy Tearoom" at Southend, the meals and sweets are spot on, if you live in Argyll and have not been there your "missing a treat".

Hopefully the "Regeneration" of Long Row etc that I have read about in the Courier brings new life in to the town, it needs it !!

Ken.
glassblower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Campbeltown visit

Postby MPR » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:47 am

some really nice parts, but then you turn a corner and are faced with run down buildings. It is a sad thing to see.
MPR
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby glassblower » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:26 pm

Got to agree with you there MPR, it seems to me the Council or whoever have sat back and let it happen, just doing the odd thing to the town. One glaring example is the "Old Post Office" in Main Street, that should have been sorted out years ago, what a nice sight for a tourist waking up in the Argyll Hotel and looking out of the bedroom window and seeing that, a good impression !!! I don't think. There are lot's of nice place's, but Long Row south and Main Street don't attract your eye when visiting, first impressions count, it needs tidying/brightening up a.s.a.p.

Ken.
glassblower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby MPR » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:01 pm

Old post office should be knocked down, disgrace its been allowed to fall apart like that. How many more like it, allowed to go to rack and ruin. The owners of these properties should be ashamed
MPR
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:14 pm

Does anyone have any views on the quality of food served by the fish and chip van please?
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby glassblower » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:33 pm

While we were up there we had bacon & sausage butties, coffee/teas, we would go there again.
glassblower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:15 pm

Cheers Glassblower.We should be passing through around 16.45 tomorrow so wondered if it might be an option for a quick food stop.
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby glassblower » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:14 pm

Think he might be gone by then, but being a Saturday so you might be lucky, if not then I would get Fish (or Pie) supper from Rab's in Shore street. I am a great fan of Pie's and the last holiday I had up there I had 11 Pie Suppers in 14 days, yes, I know, I'm a pig. Bet you cant guess what I have for lunch when I go to the pub for Sunday lunch ???? yes, correct.
glassblower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby odds » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:18 pm

LANDROVER ROGER wrote:Does anyone have any views on the quality of food served by the fish and chip van please?

Where is the Fish and Chip van situated ? Is it this one ?
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Cam ... !1e1?hl=en

In all the years of going up there I've never even seen that, and then just looked on Google maps and it's there !!
The only one I've seen is a large van selling burgers, usually up near the war memorial. I think it's called West Coast Catering.
I'd agree with Glassblower, go to Rabs, really friendly guy who will chat away while you wait :)

Pete.
odds
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:45 pm

That is the one Pete.We were running late so stopped in Tarbert instead.Thanks everyone.
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to General Chit Chat