Referendum

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

Referendum

Postby glassblower » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:21 pm

Now we know the result, I was interested to listen to what Nicola Sturgeon had to say on tv this morning, she said it was "highly likely " that Scotland would need to hold another "Independence referendum" regarding Scotland remaining in the EU. As the majority of Scotland voted to "remain", will the people of Scotland be quiet happy to do this ?

On a less serious note, if Scotland has a referendum, and vote's to stay in the EU, will I have to get a passport to visit the town (Campbeltown) I was born in ?

If it's of any interest, I voted to join the "Common Market" (June 1975) but this time I voted to leave the "EU".
glassblower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Referendum

Postby Iain » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:54 am

“Visiting Campbeltown”?

Depends on your nationality ! I live in Belgium and my UK passport has been out of date for over 5 years..., nonetheless, I visit the UK using my Belgian ID card. During my last visit, the controller made the remark..., "I suppose you do have a passport, Sir” while waving me on !
Meaning that when the UK leaves, passport control will never again accept this type situation.
Must get round to it one of these days..., especially now !

In the meantime and according to RTL Radio yesterday, if you are in the same situation, (ex-pat) all the European countries are planning a mass attack on everyone like me. (‘foreigner’ holding an electronic ID card) They will all be changed at a cost and just what will be hidden in their micro-chips will be anyone’s guess.

Parcel services will have 24 hours added to the delivery time, (to and fro because of customs and excise) and the costs will be similar to sending parcels to Switzerland and Norway. (slightly more expensive)

As for UK visits to the continent..., I’d be inclined to say that entering Europe will not be a problem, but returning via UK customs will be a pain in the neck.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby howlsatthemoon » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:14 am

Iain wrote:As for UK visits to the continent..., I’d be inclined to say that entering Europe will not be a problem, but returning via UK customs will be a pain in the neck.

Don't think this will be a problem. It will be similar to what it is now only the lanes will be UK Passport holders and Non-UK Passport holders.
A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself
howlsatthemoon
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Iain » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:46 am

howlsatthemoon wrote:
Iain wrote:As for UK visits to the continent..., I’d be inclined to say that entering Europe will not be a problem, but returning via UK customs will be a pain in the neck.

Don't think this will be a problem. It will be similar to what it is now only the lanes will be UK Passport holders and Non-UK Passport holders.

Hi... Even the UK lane will be subject to customs control. (cigarettes and alcohol)
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby WC1 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:22 pm

will I have to get a passport to visit the town (Campbeltown) I was born in ?

If you were born in Campbeltown you will, of course, be entitled to have a new Scottish passport.
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby howlsatthemoon » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:07 am

Iain wrote:Hi... Even the UK lane will be subject to customs control. (cigarettes and alcohol)

As far as I know the UK lane is and always has been subject to custom control, different allowances for different countries but still subject to custom control.
A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself
howlsatthemoon
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby glassblower » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:06 am

Yes WC1, born on a "bleak snowy" February morning in 1946 at Craigard, so passport assured !!!.
glassblower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to General Chit Chat