No internet connection

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

No internet connection

Postby joan1.ross » Fri May 13, 2005 12:27 pm

Has anyone else had problems getting connected to the internet out at Sound of Kintyre? I can connect to the internet on my laptop in town but it just wont connect at my house. BT have said there is no problem with the line but I cant think what else it can be or to try.
joan1.ross
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

connection

Postby bubbly jock » Fri May 13, 2005 1:20 pm

Do what I do when my duster gets too stoory Move house it's easier

bubbly
bubbly jock

Postby Malky » Sat May 14, 2005 1:50 am

Joan1,

I assume your telephone works normally and you can make voice calls. Note that BT can only check the line from the exchange to the master socket in your house. The check does not include any extension (slave) sockets that may be added to your master socket.

Are you plugging your laptop directly into the master socket or do you use an extension socket?
Try unplugging all phones, faxes and doubler sockets (the little plug-in sockets that allow 2 devices to be plugged into 1 socket).
Plug the modem lead directly to the master socket.
Does the modem dial up? If not are there any error messages?
Can you hear the modem handshaking with your ISP's modem (the whistling and screeching noise).
Do you get to the veryifying username and password message?
Are you witholding your telephone numberor ex-directory? Some ISP's won't allow you to connect as they use Calling Line Identity. Add 1470 to the front of the telephone number you dial to your ISP.

Let us know how you get on :) :)

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

No internet connection

Postby joan1.ross » Sat May 14, 2005 6:37 pm

Have tried plugging straight into socket and removing sky connection. There is no other socket in the house.

I have tried logging on with both AOL and Virgin and the error message that keeps coming up is that there is no dial tone. There is also no dial up noise.

Im not ex-directory.

However when I moved into the house the previous owner moved a few doors away and took his phone number with him. BT said work had to be done in the area to give me an available line. I had to wait a week before being connected. I asked recently have I been given a shared line and this could be the problem, but BT said it is not shared. I have also been advised to ask BT to increase the gain on the line, which I have done but still nothing.

Its frustrating that it works in other peoples houses! So I know its not the laptop.

BT said it would cost £65 for them to come and take a look as their contract is only for the talk side of the telephone and not computers.
joan1.ross
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Phone problem

Postby kbm » Sat May 14, 2005 7:49 pm

I also had a similar problem. I actually had to take the cover off the phone socket which revealed the master socket in behind it and had to plug my laptop into that. This would explain why bt say there is no problem because as far as they are concerned your line is fine. I suppose i should add a disclaimer that you try that at own risk or get a professional to look at it. Hope this helps. :)
Last edited by kbm on Sun May 15, 2005 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin McCallum
kbm
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Malky » Sun May 15, 2005 2:24 am

Is the sky box able to connect to your phone line? It uses a modem.

Does anyone else you know have a computer/laptop that they can bring into your house to try connecting to the internet.

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby MumphysMum » Sun May 15, 2005 4:05 pm

Joan, I'm not in Kintyre (well, I was yesterday, but I'm now back in MK)... but I think I may have had a similiar problem. Is your problem intermittent? My problem was that every now and again the connection stopped. To fix it, I had to right-click on the Internet Explorer icon, select Properties, select the Connections tab and "check" the radio button for "always dial my default connection" (because it had clicked itself on to "never dial a connection".
MumphysMum
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

No internet connection

Postby joan1.ross » Mon May 16, 2005 6:09 pm

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

Kevin I have taken the front of the socket off and plugged straight into the master socket. No luck.

Malky, yes I can connect Sky as I can play games etc.

Mumphys Mum, I have looked at my Connections on Internet Explorer previously but it is not that either.
joan1.ross
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Rabmacd » Mon May 16, 2005 7:01 pm

I used to sometimes get a problem like that. The cure for me was to remove my modem, an internal one. Go to Control panel, Click on System and the there should be a hardware tab. If you click on that and then find the modem and remove it. Restart the computer and it should automatically find the "new" hardware (the modem) and reinstate it. When I tried again, I got the dial tone back and was able to connect again, through AOL
It worked for me on more than one occasion
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to General Chit Chat