Words from across the pond and beyond.

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

Words from across the pond and beyond.

Postby dgraves » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:49 pm

Hi 4th Gen,

The 'oil patch' is anywhere on Earth that there is drilling and exploration for oil and gas (petroleum and natural gas). Its a term used by those that work in the industry. Its a nomadic life.

'cracker' is an insulting term used by non-whites towards white people.
I called Shauna 'Miss Texas' because here in the US it is a term that connotates someone assured and put together. It is the opposite from the image of someone slovenly, stupid, and a hick or redneck (cracker). Shauna said her comment trying to make a point. Her friends are highly intelligent and would never think that way. She just happened to see the one bopping his head in tune to the song about crackers and it tickled her. She is always telling them not to call themselves (within their own races) ugly names like the 'n' word the African Am use, 'skins' (redskins) the Native Am use, and on and on. Just lowers self-esteme. There are many important issues to be concerned about and what color you are isn't one of them.

Gary, I lost you on "Off the Topic"- too confusing :D Thanks for the info about Prom. "Walking out together" was a phrase my granny used. I get behind the times occasionally. When Shauna had a date to her Senior Prom I asked who she was 'going out with'. She said, "Mom, we are NOT going out!!" Seems that meant something a little more serious, like living together :oops: :lol: :lol:.
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:58 pm

This will be a great thread. I have not got time to contribute much tonight except to say that Bill Bryson's Made In America is about my favourite book of all time (all of his books are brilliant right enough!) Made In America is all about the development of the English language and the differences between US and British English. I would recomend it to anyone.

Also, Oil Patch..........I have worked in an Oil Patch.........in early and mid 80s worked 2 Canadian harvests........right on Saskatchewan/Alberta border.........the nodding donkeys were creeping South! stopped just short of my farms for a number of years but are now on the march again!

And this is where the threads start to merge and get confusing again....there were loads of Canadian Injun museums and culture and relics all around.........Assinboine mostly.......some of my red neck ,
Canadian young fermers buddies ploughed up teepee rings and even effigies!!! :o :shock: :shock: the authorities were not pleased...more on this on the correct thread......which ever one that is :? :?
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

gen

Postby bubbly jock » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:22 pm

I bloody well knew it. As soon as Dorian moved over to her own thread wee gen trailed a long as well. Dorian, tell him he's naw getting a free holiday in Colorado and the only oil he's involved in is underneath the david brown. Nodding donkeys? you've been watching the new star wars lad.

Of all the books that have been written since print began you pick Bill Bryson's Made in America as your favouite. Ffs

I think a visit to that creep Snoddy is on the cards for you boy

bubbly
bubbly jock

malky

Postby bubbly jock » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:52 pm

I think you should know Gen, that Malky and Dorian are sharing buttons.

All we need noo is Ermer the fermer an Wullie fae the Beachfield, Four fermers and a colonial. Would make a great movie

bubbly
bubbly jock

Re: malky

Postby Malky » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:36 pm

bubbly jock wrote:All we need noo is Ermer the fermer an Wullie fae the Beachfield, Four fermers and a colonial. Would make a great movie
bubbly

:lol: :lol:

How about Four Fermers and a Colonial go Turkey Shooting :P

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

shoot

Postby bubbly jock » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:11 pm

So you'd like to see me deed Maybe you'll go first if the Muasdale Mauler gets a hold of you one dark night on your way home from your lucrative sideline teaching IT skills tae the toonies.

Mind you the big cat has maybe been frightened away by a rooster and his fitba fitba fitba You'd be better gaun rooster shooting Fit him better to away and learn how to make decent soda scones.

bubbly
bubbly jock

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:20 pm

I was given the book in a present in March '96, I mind these things.....!

Since then I have read and re-read it many times, each time finding new and interesting snippets and fun and comedy.

If you measure the quality of a book by how much enjoyment one gets then MiA is my fave......

I have read hunners o' books.........MILLIONS!! enjoy most of them.....

Bubby Jock you are a grumpy, aggressive spoiler.............

And I've never watched any of the Star Wars films.............so there!
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Turkey shoot

Postby dgraves » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:26 pm

Malky, we'll have to get help from Oorley. The Turkey Shoot was his idea way back when :lol: Now that would be a movie!

Those Tom Turkeys are pretty wiley :lol: :lol:
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby bubbly jock » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:30 pm

Och away tae your bed. You've got an early start in the morning or will you be reading a chapter of Bill's book.

Just as you're jogging past thon wee hawthorn hedge tomorrow morning Darth Vadar will jump oot on ye and shout feel the force. Serve you right for naw knowing him. You'll know him by the time you limp hame. He's deadly wae thon light sabre.

I did'nt think there was anybody left on the planet who had never watched any of these films

Sorry Dorian I know you wanted this to be sensible, I can only apologise for Gen

bubbly
bubbly jock

Postby Malky » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:35 pm

I once went on a turkey shoot in Canada many moons ago, One of the most disappointing things I've ever done. :? There was no turkeys at all - just a paper target stuck to a tree :roll:

The idea was to stand about 25 yards away, take aim with a shotgun and fire. Winner was the person who got the most pellets inside the outline of the turkey.

Even sadder than us brave souls who shot at the target were the guys counting the pellets to find the winner :roll: :wink:

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:37 pm

Actually I am reading Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman's book about their motor bike trip round the world..........the second greatest story ever told
:lol: :lol: :roll:
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: nodding donkeys

Postby dgraves » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:45 pm

[quote="bubbly jock"] Nodding donkeys? you've been watching the new star wars lad.

bubbly

Now there is something I totally agree with!! Don't get me wrong- I've seen every Star Wars film and have them as a collection, but he was disappointing- dull.

Since I haven't a clue what 'nodding donkeys' are that would be encroaching on someone's land, I'll agree with Bubbly's definition-

What are your nodding donkeys, 4th Gen, or am I going to need Malky's click button on the other thread?
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: nodding donkeys

Postby Malky » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:52 pm

dgraves wrote:What are your nodding donkeys, 4th Gen

They're beam pumps Dorian, used to extract oil from small oil wells :)

EDIT: Spelling :roll:

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:00 pm

'fraid I cant respond to your query Dorian....

Bubbly Jock already thinks I am your cyber stalker :lol:

Malky has got it though.....

I have no idea about this Star Wars Nodding D :? :oops: :wink:
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

nodding donkeys

Postby dgraves » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:02 pm

Malky- Now that you mention it, I've heard that- They are usually called pump jacks. Hey, I said I grew up in the oil field- still there actually, but never said I worked in the field :lol: :lol: Most oil men don't discuss work at home. Why? Don't know. The ones I know just want to relax and forget for awhile. They find better things to do :wink:
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Next

Return to General Chit Chat