Topic of the week - 24 hour drinking

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

Topic of the week - 24 hour drinking

Postby Ship called Dignity » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:09 am

Listened to quite a bit about this on the radio and how down south there are major concerns about pubs getting later licences etc.

No-one is actually saying there will be 24 hour licences but some are looking for extensions.

Seems there is quite a movement against extended hours etc etc

Thoughts? :idea:
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Malky » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:56 pm

I believe this is to try and curb binge drinking. It might work too. At the moment you're hardly in a pub down south and then it closes :? :shock:

Saying that though, the UK drinking culture is very much 'drink till you drop'. You hear folk say - "Think I'll go out and get p*ssed" rather than "I think I'll go out and see what the crack is".

Some people can't seem to enjoy themselves without copious amounts of alcohol.

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

////////

Postby Neil » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:49 pm

/////////////////////////////
Last edited by Neil on Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neil
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby jaywalker » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:09 pm

There is of course the other side of the coin, according to a radio programme today, in the 30 years since Scotlands licencing laws were liberalised cases of liver disease have increased nearly 4 fold. Cases of alchoholism (already higher than the national average) have increased massively and drink related offences have not exactly disappeared.. The standard argument for longer hours is that we should have the choice to drink when we want as we are adult enough to know our limits.. I have my doubts. Blair often says, if you finish your shift at 2am and want a glass of wine, you should be able to buy one... I would call that a problem... But just to be awkward I do like the idea of buying a pint when I want one. :(
jaywalker
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ranald » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:43 pm

If publicans are prepared to be open at 2am for that person who wants a glass of wine at the end of their shift, they're the ones who are going to have to be responsible enough to stop people drinking when they've had too much.
Ranald
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Jay

Postby Neil » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:18 pm

"There is of course the other side of the coin, according to a radio programme today, in the 30 years since Scotlands licencing laws were liberalised cases of liver disease have increased nearly 4 fold".

Thats probably more down to how cheap the beer has gone over the years,theres a chain of off licenses down this way called BARGAIN BOOZE and you can now get a pack of lager(24 cans)for under a tenner so i assume most places sell cheap beer.
I think if nothing it will help the tourism industry more than anything all we need to do now is see more places family friendly(like in spain).
Neil
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Jay

Postby Kintyre Lad » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:38 pm

Neil wrote:"There is of course the other side of the coin, according to a radio programme today, in the 30 years since Scotlands licencing laws were liberalised cases of liver disease have increased nearly 4 fold".

Thats probably more down to how cheap the beer has gone over the years,theres a chain of off licenses down this way called BARGAIN BOOZE and you can now get a pack of lager(24 cans)for under a tenner so i assume most places sell cheap beer.
I think if nothing it will help the tourism industry more than anything all we need to do now is see more places family friendly(like in spain).

This is a good point Neil. I think since the licencing hours were liberalised the trends have changed. In Campbeltown for example I don't think there is the last orders rush there used to be a number of years ago.
Kintyre Lad
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Jay

Postby petewick » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:36 pm

Kintyre Lad wrote:
Neil wrote:"
This is a good point Neil. I think since the licencing hours were liberalised the trends have changed. In Campbeltown for example I don't think there is the last orders rush there used to be a number of years ago.[

I think there is more of a problem of people trying to get served after all the last order drinks have been served, that's when I have seen most bother in recent years.
Not only that but people getting served after hours and this is seen by other patrons, who have been told to "drink up and go home".

Petewick 8)
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby morenish » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:37 pm

tried drinking for 24hours but fell asleep at hour 17, i dont think it should be made compulsory for people like me who are to old for it
if i'm spared
morenish
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to General Chit Chat