About this site , topics and discussion

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

About this site , topics and discussion

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:52 am

Some of you will appreciate I (or the mods) don't have time to read all postings on this message board thoroughly and therefore messages are left which go unnoticed.

Once again I had to remove a topic yesterday when it was brought to my attention the content had went further than general discussion.

There were particular postings which had gone further than required and some which were personal.

If you are going to post such statements please use your own name and not an alias. It ends up that I personally have to take the flak - and on days like that I felt like pulling the plug on this board.

In just over 5 months the board has grown and discussion has been healthy - lets keep it that way.

Thank you 8)
Last edited by Ship called Dignity on Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Jonathan » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:32 pm

How about a Site News Forum where users can post faults - admin can post site ugrades etc and a sticky Acceptable Use Policy. On the more used forums you can sticky a Language And Advertising Policy.
Jonathan
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:38 am

Thanks Jonathan - I've added a Site News Forum - funnily enough I seen this on the kite board last week and thought it was a good way to keep people up to date with developments on the site - so more to follow on that soon.

With regards the board itself I don't think I need to worry too much as its use has been good in general. Just some days when you are threatened with legal action that I worry - especially when I had nothing to do with it!
:shock:
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Malky » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:41 am

Davie P wrote:Just some days when you are threatened with legal action that I worry - especially when I had nothing to do with it!

Stick up a disclaimer of some sort for incidents like that. IMHO though, people who react by threatening legal action are usually hiding something :twisted: :wink:

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LO » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:43 pm

Malky wrote:
Davie P wrote:Just some days when you are threatened with legal action that I worry - especially when I had nothing to do with it!

Stick up a disclaimer of some sort for incidents like that. IMHO though, people who react by threatening legal action are usually hiding something :twisted: :wink:

Malky

Malky, I don't think we should kick this off again but if some of the postings I saw on the thread in question were about me or my family, staff or business I would certainly have considered all options to have it stopped. In such cases, particularly when some of the posts are anonymous the first point of contact is unfortunately the owner of the site as Davie points out, as he is ultimately responsible for the content of his Board just like a newspaper or magazine editor. Let's give the guy a break - it'll not be long until the teething starts :wink:
LO
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Malky » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:15 pm

Ok, first I hadn't realised it was personal stuff that was posted. :?

Saying that though, this is a public forum and Davie is not responsible for what people post here. Unlike a magazine or newspaper where the editor is responsible for the content, here, each individual is responsible for his/her own postings and can be sued for libel or defamation over what they say.

Davie is obviously the point of contact if a poster is anonymous, but everyone knows that Davie is a reasonable person and, with the help of the moderators, will remove postings that are inappropriate. Threatening him with legal action is just over the top :roll: :shock:

LO wrote:Malky, I don't think we should kick this off again

I disagree. All the people that use this board should realise that they, as an individual, are responsible for the content of anything they post here. To this end they should think before they post. Perhaps, using the Preview button before the Submit button might be appropriate for some.

Also, the Internet is not as anonymous as some people seem to think......... :) :)

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LO » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:35 pm

[quote="Malky"]

the people that use this board should realise that they, as an individual, are responsible for the content of anything they post here. To this end they should think before they post. Perhaps, using the Preview button before the Submit button might be appropriate for some.

Malky, quite agree with the above
LO
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Guest Postings

Postby GarySutherland » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:01 am

Davie, are you able to prevent the Guest id from posting new messages or comments? I'm not sufficiently au fait with PhpBB to know myself.

In theory at least all registered users should have supplied you with a valid email address but as we know that be just as anonymous as the guest account. Maybe enforce the rule that it must be both a valid email address and *not* one of the ten-a-penny Hotmail addresses or the like?

I agree that people need to take responsibility for their postings and also that it is sad when someone's first reaction to something they take offense at is to reach for their lawyer. If we can all do something to reduce this then so much the better.

The success of this board has been little short of meteoric and it'd be a shame to have that spoilt by the actions or behaviour of a few.

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby John S » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:47 am

There must be thousands of reasonable people who will only operate on hotmail Garry, who's to say those on contract suppliers are any more responsible or accountable.
John S
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby GarySutherland » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:54 am

No, you're right John. I've one myself that I use when I'm working away from home. Thinking caps back on then.

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Mod2 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:56 am

Some terms and conditions are currently being drawn up for the site. Basically an acceptable use policy.
Mod2
Mod2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Return to General Chit Chat