Just dont call me a 'Southerner' arrgh!

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

Just dont call me a 'Southerner' arrgh!

Postby ChrisA » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:10 pm

Hi all, I'm Chris from Manchester. United season ticket holder (25 years+) Work for IBM, and also a semi pro musician. Right then, intro's done...

I've been enchanted by your beautiful country for a good few years now,
ever since my dear departed dad, began revealing our Scottish roots. Unfortunately, he passed on before I could get any finer details from him, therefore I am stuck in limbo, with an occasional holiday visit Northwards and a passion for Runrig, and whisky :roll: :lol:

Anyway, for years, my wife and I have wanted to spend some time over Christmas/New year, by the Atlantic on the West coast. At last finances will stretch, so, yay, we are on our way up there in December! :D

We really, cannot wait. Looking forward to seeing all of Kintyre and especially Campbeltown with its lovely old buildings (Your Cinema is amazing) and friendly people.

Anyway,

Few questions : -

1) Where's the best pub for a good boozy natter with the locals? (Music/Football/Kintyre tradition,heritage etc)

2) What's the weather like in December? My missus is expecting (hoping for) snow, I reckon that a bit of wind and rain is about all we will get!

3) Is there really any chance of catching Macca in a bar? (Where I live, we get Mick Hucknall :cry: Count yourselves lucky!

4) What time does it go dark in December? IE - what time will I need to set off driving from Manc, in order to get to Kintyre pre blackout? Or, should I be a lightweight and stop off overnight at say, Dumbarton? (I will have my two young daughters in tow, see)

Anyway, thanks for letting me join this forum, and it would be great if we could catch up with a few of you over a dram in December?
Last edited by ChrisA on Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisA
Active Poster
Active Poster

c/town

Postby moonstomp » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:30 pm

hello there 1 the commercial is the bar for you 2 its cold, wet ,snow :?: :D you never know 3 two chances none and .... all 4 its dark about 4 'clock
moonstomp
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Mod2 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:38 pm

Welcome to the forum Chris.

Moonstomp has answered your questions I see :lol:

You're a semi pro musician - what do you play?
Mod2
Mod2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby ChrisA » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:56 pm

Doh. No Macca eh? I wanted to know how he got such a friggin ace bass sound on his Wings albums, and especially 'Silly Love Songs'. Never mind, mebee I'll invite myself up to his gaff
:lol: :lol:

Music? I play a bit of everything really, started as drummer, then bass, guitar etc. Various bands, some with minor success, however, I'm now more of a bedroom musician, knocking up cheesy tunes with Cubase etc.

Currently working with an idiot who has managed to get himself a profile at old Trafford by being the 'loudest' fan. He is basically giving me awful lyrics to work with and add music/produce complete songs. Here's a couple of examples...

(DISCLAIMER. Nothing to do with me, I'm just adding music to them for the sake of an earner)

He once was a scouser, and now he's a red,
he has a look of Shrek, round his fat shaven head,
but we love him to bits down here at OT,
so open your ears hear the chant of ROON- EY

He's a star, is Van der Saar,
but the tight dutch bastard,
drives a smartcar"

Yes, I really have sunk that low.

:roll:
ChrisA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby oorly gourlay » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:04 pm

Welcome to the mad house ChrisA. I won't call you a southerner but I think you must be Irish judging by your spelling of whisky

Hope you have a good time in the Wee Toon but bring a Scots-English dictionary :lol:

oorly
Over land and sea!
oorly gourlay
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby ChrisA » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:11 pm

oorly gourlay wrote:Welcome to the mad house ChrisA. I won't call you a southerner but I think you must be Irish judging by your spelling of whisky

Hope you have a good time in the Wee Toon but bring a Scots-English dictionary :lol:

oorly

Oops! (hic)

Spent a while in Greenock, as IBM have a plant/call centre there, getting pretty used to various Scots brogues now!
ChrisA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby GarySutherland » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:56 pm

Chris, come up and see us in Carradale while you're in the area.

If you want a crash course in the dialect then a weekend in Corby might help. :)

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Ship called Dignity » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:11 am

Welcome Chris.

Quick question - when will you be here in December?
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Neil » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:23 am

///////////////////////////////
Last edited by Neil on Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neil
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby morenish » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:06 am

ohh chris, dont listen to that lot, they're a bunch of bandits! for them it gets dark at the end of september and doesn't get light till march, if you show yer face here in december you'll be welcomed like the relief crew for an antartic ice station!
oh and can you bring news of whats happening in the world, old news papers should do, maybe cornflakes as well as a lot of folk havn't seen what they look like yet.
have fun! :D
if i'm spared
morenish
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby ChrisA » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:22 am

I will be up there over Christmas - but unfortunately not, NY. (Well, not as yet anyway)

Morenish:- I'll come prepared, in fact, I'll go watch John Carpenter's 'The Thing' again, just to be on the ball :wink:

Neil. Got your PM's mate, will respond later. I'm just off now to .... LIVERPOOL, to do some work at Telewest. Basically, this means a full day of me getting called a Manc 'woolyback' by the swarming scousers. And constant reminders that they are "European Champions". :evil:
ChrisA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby amron » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:20 pm

Don't know about meeting Macca in a bar.
Myself and my kids met him, Heather and their daughter in Woolworths last Tuesday. He shook hands with the kids and chatted.
Didn't do photographs or autographs but he was so nice and so was his wife.
Made our day. :D
amron
Active Poster
Active Poster

///////

Postby Neil » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:12 am

//////////////
Last edited by Neil on Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neil
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby ChrisA » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:19 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This guy makes Boylie sound like the poet Laureate!

However ... he was actually pointed in my direction by Boylie :cry:
ChrisA
Active Poster
Active Poster

united till i die

Postby general jack o'niell » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:05 pm

:wink:
Last edited by general jack o'niell on Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
general jack o'niell

Next

Return to General Chit Chat