Minke Whale on Carradale Beach

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

Minke Whale on Carradale Beach

Postby GarySutherland » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:04 pm

The tide washed-in the carcass of a fairly big Minke whale this morning, and left it at the Waterfoot end of Carradale Beach.

Tipped-off by Mr D I nipped down this afternoon for a look. It's a bit ripe but so long as you stand upwind of it you'll be okay.

More pictures and details in the usual place.

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Ship called Dignity » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:22 pm

Gary - thanks for the posting. Although sad to see the Whale dead the pictures are really interesting!

On Monday night I was out with the wee fla and there was a grey seal pup stranded on tehe shore right up against the wall in Low Askomil. The SSPCA were there and said they would just leave it for the tide to come in (which was about 4am) and hope it s mother would take it away then - if it smelt humans at all near it she would just leave it. The next night I went along and it wasn't there so here is hoping! 8)
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby GarySutherland » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:06 pm

It's not nice to see this sort of thing but at the end of the day that's what nature is all about. Red in tooth and claw, and all that.

Fingers crossed your seal pup's mum found it okay.

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Ship called Dignity » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:09 pm

As far as I know McFadyens met with ABC Environmental Health last night and the whale was being moved today. Off to Lochgilphead....

I also understand as the whale was more than 26 feet long the Council do not foot the bill but it is paid by the crown! 8) Anyone else expand on this?
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby GarySutherland » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:39 am

Yes, saw the big digger heading up the road yesterday afternoon, and I've since been sent a lot of photos of the removal operation.
I remember from the incident on Coll that any cetaceans washed up on the beach automatically belong to the Crown, I think. A bit like the thing with all swans being the monarch's personal property, and probably has its origins in the days when whales were still hunted for their valuable oil.

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to General Chit Chat