Word meanings........

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

Word meanings........

Postby dgraves » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:22 pm

The newest member on the site: Bobbie en Tejas (Bobbie in Texas)

Texas or Tejas (Spanish spelling) means allies or friends in the Native American Hasinai language. :D
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:57 pm

Thanks for that, Dorian. I have to admit, I did not know the origin of the word. You got me curious, so I looked it up. I see it is also a word in the Hindu Sanskrit Dictionary and means Radiance, brilliancy. I rather like that :mrgreen:
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Hi Bobbie

Postby dgraves » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:06 am

Hola Bobbie, bienvenida! :D

I'm originally from Fort Worth, but haven't lived in Texas in forever. I go back to visit the folks, though.

What brings you to Visit Kintyre? Do you have Scottish ancestors?
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:38 am

I have friends there and have been there a couple of times. Wonderful place.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Malky » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:41 am

A week after my last visit to San Antonio it was severely flooded. Can't remember the year tho - its late here and past my bedtime :wink:

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:50 am

I believe 2003 was our last huge flood, and 1999 also had some bad flooding. Our biggest problem during those times are people going through low water crossings. The water is rushing across the road, but people think its not so deep, so they chance it and then get carried away. I hope you've had a chance to visit San Antonio in better weather. It really is a great town.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Texas

Postby dgraves » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:48 pm

Do you have family in Texas, Malky? Or were you down from Canada with your Cousin?
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: Texas

Postby Malky » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:31 pm

dgraves wrote:Do you have family in Texas, Malky? Or were you down from Canada with your Cousin?

With my cousin. Stopped off for the day after a trip to Eagle Pass on the Mexican border. We had dropped off a load on the Friday pm, picked up a half load in Eagle Pass and were due to pick up the second half of the load in Little Rock, Arkansas on the Monday am. With some time to kill we did the touristy thing.

We also stopped off to visit the Texas Rangers museum in Waco. That was cool 8) More guns that you could shake a stick at :shock:

One of the exhibits was the door from Bonnie and Clyde's car that had been riddled by bullets when the Rangers ambushed them. :roll: :shock:

My cousin has since moved company and now runs from Toronto to the West coast, mostly Vancouver, and then south, down to Oregon. He usually returns to Toronto via the Northern States of the US. Depending on stops it takes approx 2 weeks.

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby dgraves » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:51 pm

Malky wrote:
We also stopped off to visit the Texas Rangers museum in Waco. That was cool 8) More guns that you could shake a stick at :shock:

One of the exhibits was the door from Bonnie and Clyde's car that had been riddled by bullets when the Rangers ambushed them. :roll: :shock:

Malky

That Texan lingo rubs off pretty quickly! :lol: Do they say, "more than you can shake a stick at" in Scotland?

I probably shouldn't admit this, but my Grandmother McEachern's grandmother was sister to Bonnie Parker's mother :shock: (They were English) Don't get me wrong- I'm proud of the English Smith and Sadler part of the family- Its just the Parkers that we try to keep quiet about 8) !

The crazy blood has been diluted- hopefully!

Trucking is a great way to see the US. My son has his CDL class A- He may take off one of these days to parts unknown.
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Malky » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:51 pm

dgraves wrote:That Texan lingo rubs off pretty quickly! :lol: Do they say, "more than you can shake a stick at" in Scotland?

Yuup !! :lol:

Well I do anyway :P

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to General Chit Chat