driving in argyll

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

Reidiboy

Postby Neil » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:07 pm

i have 3 little uns meself(well not so little now)so i know what you mean,i think this happens in most places,wales,cornwall etc as us holiday makers are giving it the ohhh look a sheep look kids.... then the local comes up behind and flys past,anywhere else i`d be after him or not let him overtake :twisted:
but when i`m out and about on roads i dont know and they do i tend to let em past.We all know certain parts of the roads better than others.
Neil
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby LO » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:17 pm

There are a couple of issues here that are not coming over too clearly.

Firstly, many of the roads in this part of the world are single track and there are signs which give notice that "Passing places should be used to permit overtaking". This means what it says, in that you are either expected to be driving at a reasonable speed to keep the traffic moving or you pull in and let vehicles behind you pass safely. The Police have been known to take a keen interest in those who willfully hold up the traffic in these circumstances!

Also, it is not unknown for Northern Constabulary in the Great Glen area to pull vehicles in who are causing long tailbacks by driving too slowly over a sustained distance.

Of course this does not mean that it is acceptable for certain clowns to tailgate or dangerously overtake cars travelling at a reasonable speed within the limit, simply because it doesn't suit them, and it certainly doesn't excuse anyone from playing The Stereophonics (loudly or softly) in their vehicle at any time!
LO
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby ChrisA » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:59 pm

LO wrote:There are a couple of issues here that are not coming over too clearly.

Firstly, many of the roads in this part of the world are single track and there are signs which give notice that "Passing places should be used to permit overtaking". This means what it says, in that you are either expected to be driving at a reasonable speed to keep the traffic moving or you pull in and let vehicles behind you pass safely. The Police have been known to take a keen interest in those who willfully hold up the traffic in these circumstances!

Also, it is not unknown for Northern Constabulary in the Great Glen area to pull vehicles in who are causing long tailbacks by driving too slowly over a sustained distance.

Of course this does not mean that it is acceptable for certain clowns to tailgate or dangerously overtake cars travelling at a reasonable speed within the limit, simply because it doesn't suit them, and it certainly doesn't excuse anyone from playing The Stereophonics (loudly or softly) in their vehicle at any time!

:lol:

Aye, lets put this to bed. As a second level advanced driving certificate holder myself (paid for by work so why not?) I still don't profess to know everything, but, I don't really need lessons on fundamental road management.

However, it's clear to see that wires are getting crossed here and people are getting the wrong end of the stick.

I apologise for everything I've said. Except for The Stereophonics quip. Obviously.

:roll:
ChrisA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby morenish » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:55 pm

ahm no wantin tae pit folk off here it's just that theres no other way to travell in argyll, roads or hire yer own boat.
at least you can drive round the peak district if you want here we dont have that choice.
and most folk when you explain how to let folk past are only too keen to let it happen, and i certainly seen more of that this summer, so heres hoping it continues.

mach gearin an deal a séo the steriophonics!?!?!?!
are you sure?
i thought that sort of thing had been stamped out years ago!
if i'm spared
morenish
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby ChrisA » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:07 pm

Actually there aint much choice for me re the Peak district.

Travellin from Manchester to Chesterfield via the peaks is a distance of just 54 miles. Doing it the only other way - via the M1 is actually .. 212 miles!

Of course, my work mileage claims reflect that I've taken the 'faster', 'more efficient' way, when really, I've been ambling :twisted: :lol:
ChrisA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Scoop For Hoots » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:59 pm

The Flip Side to all the bad stuff, such as caravan drivers blocking the nightmare A83 arterial route at 35mph with 17 vehicles behind it (I counted that one this summer) is that when you get a driver with some decent soul who has the pure good manners to pull over and let folk pass. Well it fair makes your day. The sheer good manners of some folk brings out the best in others. Pity it isn't contageous. Especially with the caravan towing brigade.
The person who says it cannot be done, should not interrupt the person having the enterprise to do it.
Scoop For Hoots
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby amron » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:11 pm

Not only the caravan drivers, but the lorries that now seem to drive one behind the other with no room between them for you to overtake. You have to lag behind them going up the hill with a full load of logs and then you hardly ever get a long enough straight to pass them both as they put the foot down.

Must give credit to Tucker he always lets you pass when he can see it is safe.
I nearly went into the back of a car who after stopping at the lights at Inverary then careered into the bank to take a photo there was a layby on the opposite side of the road.
Crazy :)
amron
Active Poster
Active Poster

Previous

Return to General Chit Chat