Kintyre Vernacular

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Re: Kintyre Vernacular

Postby LO » Wed May 28, 2008 8:26 pm

EMDEE wrote:On looking through the poetry and language sections of the North Antrim Culture and Heritage Forum, I was quite surprised that the "Ulster Scots" or "Ullans" language seems to have a lot in common with the Kintyre dialect in the way of words and pronunciations. Two words in particular that I noticed were "doag" and "wile", which I thought were purely Kintyre.

The historical connections between the two communities must have been a lot stronger than they have been in more recent years.

Emdee - You should try and get hold of a CD by Charlie Gillen, The North Antrim Rhymer, called "Whun a' the Kye had Names" - it's a collection of spoken word pieces by laced with some tunes from Ptarmigan and some of his cohorts. After about twenty seconds of adjustment, the similarities between Charlie's vocabulary and the Kintyre vernacular are absolutely astonishing. Once you get tuned in to the slight change in accent I'm certain you will understand just about every word. I'm sure Ptarmigan can point you in the right direction for the CD
LO
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby EMDEE » Wed May 28, 2008 11:37 pm

I'll try to follow that up.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby SARID » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:01 pm

I recently had a discussion with contemporaries about the dialect words and expressions used in the Carradale of our youth
Can anyone tell me the origin of "She made a wild shine " which meant that she had made a right row and all were aware of her true feelings
SARID
Active Poster
Active Poster

Previous

Return to Current Affairs