Deserted Village?

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Deserted Village?

Postby ChrisA » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:49 am

Hi guys, a lady who has relatives on Kintyre wrote to me after hearing my CD and she talked very interestingly of her many visits to an old derelict village which was "deserted after the clearances". Not too far from Grogport from what I can gather, and somewhere that I'd really love to visit when we are next up.

Does anyone have any more details of even photo's of the place? And, I noticed this on the Carradale Goat forum, wonder if it is the same place, or somewhere completely different - but just as interesting!

We enjoyed a beautiful walk yesterday via the car park over near Brackley to the shore at Grianan mainly on the Kirnassie walk. I was fascinated by the village which is derelict and lost in the forest just off the path down to the shore. I have been trying to find out if it had a name and why/when it became empty. The houses were beautifully built and seem to have been of a strong construction. Does anyone remember the details or is it all too long ago?
ChrisA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Deserted Village?

Postby DENIS.THE.TRUE.MANC. » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:52 pm

Hi Chris! Search the forum under "Grianan". Means "sunny spot", I think.
DENIS.THE.TRUE.MANC.
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Crowth » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:15 pm

I came across this http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1899692 last year. Perhaps it could be the place in question.
Remember, a penguin is for life not just for elevenses.
Crowth
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby ChrisA » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:02 pm

Hmmm, could be.

Would the car park mentioned be the port no storm carpark?
ChrisA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Crowth » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:50 pm

Port na Storm car park is in Carradale, I think the one mentioned is most likely to be Grianian on the Skipness road about 2 miles north of the village.
Remember, a penguin is for life not just for elevenses.
Crowth
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby ChrisA » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:33 am

Hi crowth, do you mean Grainain?

http://goo.gl/maps/l3dU

Been inthat carpark before, but wasnt aware there was a walk dowen to the coast?
ChrisA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby jdcarra » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:30 am

ChrisA wrote:Hi crowth, do you mean Grainain?

http://goo.gl/maps/l3dU

Been inthat carpark before, but wasnt aware there was a walk dowen to the coast?

Hi Chris

Turn into the park area and take the left road through the gate,follow the road over the hill passing road to your left you are now going downhill with sea in sight.At bottom of hill a road turns sharp left where the croft ruins are.The Buchanan from Carradale and some who live in Campbeltown were the last inhabitants.The building was used as stables for horses which pulled out the forestry timber in later years.Across the road are the remains of the sheep and cattle fanks.I have not been down there for some time and may have some photos of years gone by amongst my collection.
Carry on down past the ruins take you onto the shore,thats if it is not all overgrown now.

Johnny
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ChrisA » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:43 am

Brilliant, cheers Johnny. And I'd love to see any pics you have if at all poss. :D
ChrisA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby jdcarra » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:24 am

ChrisA wrote:Brilliant, cheers Johnny. And I'd love to see any pics you have if at all poss. :D

Chris
Steve's below link is photo of some of the ruin taken last year.I'll scroll through my archive of pics to see what I can find.

Crowth wrote:I came across this http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1899692 last year. Perhaps it could be the place in question.
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Local History and Discussion